Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid full price for this car, why am I forced to deal with so many ads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone app is essential to all modern Teslas and a full 10% of the menu is devoted to ads for stupid crap that I don't want to buy.
Inside the car, the main menu that I use for critical functions *while driving* is cluttered with ads for junk that I don't want to buy.
Now Tesla is spamming my phone and interrupting me with ads when I'm not even interacting with the car or app at all.

1674179007262.png

I know this is the "new reality" and we've had to adjust to ad-supported phones and other household electronics, but this is my first experience with an ad-supported car and clearly, I'm not happy about it.

The phone app is essential to all modern Teslas and a full 10% of the menu is devoted to ads for stupid crap that I don't want to buy.
Inside the car, the main menu that I use for critical functions *while driving* is cluttered with ads for junk that I don't want to buy.
Now Tesla is spamming my phone and interrupting me with ads when I'm not even interacting with the car or app at all.

View attachment 897708

I know this is the "new reality" and we've had to adjust to ad-supported phones and other household electronics, but this is my first experience with an ad-supported car and clearly, I'm not happy about it.

That inbox is in the app, and has to be clicked on to read. There is no reason to click it if you dont want to. I hate advertisements as much as the next person (probably more actually), but this is grasping at straws to complain about something.

View attachment 897708

Not sure what car you bought, but my car has no ads in it, and only the app in box, that I never click on might have an ad.
This is truly one of the most ridiculous rants against Tesla I’ve seen.

The main menu in the car has 12 categories and 1 ad. The app has 9 options and 1 ad. The "Loot Box" message I posted above was urgently alerted to me as a push notification that came thru my phone as a full alert. I didn't even mention email spam yet. Am I the only one?

Sure you could say that the main menu is only 8% ads and the app is only 10% ads and sadly, I was kinda fine with that -- until the push notifications for solar started coming thru when I'm not even using the app.

1674184868958.png

The main menu in the car has 12 categories and 1 ad. The app has 9 options and 1 ad. The "Loot Box" message I posted above was urgently alerted to me as a push notification that came thru my phone as a full alert. I didn't even mention email spam yet. Am I the only one?

View attachment 897721

Yes, you are the only one being traumatized by "too many ads" that you have to work to even find

As I said, I am a person who hates advertisements, probably more than a regular person does. I will not click on video or anything on line that has a clickbait style title, for example (you wont BELIEVE what I....).

I am a sports fan, who DVRs live sports (even playoff american football games), and starts watching them about 30-45 minutes after they actually begin, even though I am home, simply so I dont have to watch the ads, or the "talking head" halftime shows.

The "Upgrades" section (which I dont have) is absolutely, positively, NOT at all related to "critical functions in the car while driving". Thats hyperbole. The loot box has to be clicked on to be opened. I have received exactly 1 push notification for an inbox message from my car.

I mean, you feel whatever you feel, but this is over the top, especially with the "lets get conversation going" thread title.

View attachment 897721
I don’t even see the ad in that photo. Are you talking about the upgrades tab at the end? Why would anyone not want to see what upgrades are available for their car? Btw, you’re completely free to ignore that tab entirely and the car still works fine. Absolutely nothing critical about it like you claim.

OK well, get off my lawn then! ;)

None of my previous cars had 8% of the main menu dedicated to ads and I've never had any other car push-notify me to buy solar either. That's all. I guess I'm old-fashioned.

I just can't imagine standing in a parking lot staring down at my phone and contemplating... should I open the frunk? Or buy at $15,000 feature?
Nor can I imagine weaving furiously thru traffic on the 405 and wondering, do I need to adjust my mirrors? Or purchase the acceleration upgrade?

I'm annoyed that they waste valuable menu space for these ads, but when they start spamming me with push alerts to buy other stuff I gotta call them out on it.

Last edited:
OK well, get off my lawn then! ;)

None of my previous cars had 8% of the main menu dedicated to ads and I've never had any other car push-notify me to buy solar either. That's all. I guess I'm old-fashioned.

I just can't imagine standing in a parking lot staring down at my phone and contemplating... should I open the frunk? Or buy at $15,000 feature?
Nor can I imagine weaving furiously thru traffic on the 405 and wondering, do I need to adjust my mirrors? Or purchase the acceleration upgrade?

Call me old school, but I think that stuff should be buried in my account menu or the website, not right on the main menu of the car and the app. And I shouldn't have to deal with push notifications for other stuff on my phone just because I have the app.

You really seem to be going out of your way, literally, to pretend you're driving down the road, digging into sub-menus on the center display to delve into there and find the horrifically offensive option to refer other people to Tesla and get free charging credits.

Did you know my TV actually does a whole 3 second animation from the manufacturer when I turn it on including mention of their streaming service? It cripples me every day :) Actually it doesn't since the animation doesn't pop except on a cold start, which I experience almost never.... roughly equal to the number of times I click into the area to explore earning referral points from Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm not going out of my way, nor digging into sub menus. 8% of the *main menu* is ads. That seems unusual to me for a car. No?

In the entire car, there is ONE button on one menu which you have to actively decide to click, which in turn takes you to a handful of optional software items FOR YOUR CAR.

You appear to want to die on that hill being some horrific pile of ads being "forced" on you. May you never ever open a web browser - your head will explode.

Last edited: