Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Picked up my Model 3 today. How can I tell if has LFP battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Sticker says it was built this month. When I look at the battery page there is a slider that, when moved lower a message says "It's recommended that you charge to 100% once per week..." or something like that.

Does that mean I have the LFP battery?

Had you thought about asking the Tesla reps when you picked up your car? But LFP batteries prefer to be at 100% all the time, not just once a week.
My understanding is that while the battery degradation at 100% is less for LFP, there is still a small amount compared to sitting at less say 90%. The recommendation to charge to 100% once a week is that LFP has more of a non linear charge vs voltage curve making it hard for the BMS to accurately determine state of charge thus by charging to 100% it can “recalibrate”.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that while the battery degradation at 100% is less for LFP, there is still a small amount compared to sitting at less say 90%.
If you believe the graphs that @AAKEE tends to post, LFP batteries are likely to degrade less at <= 70% (versus <= 55% for NCA batteries), so if you choose to charge to less than 100% most of the time to reduce battery degradation, minimizing time spent > 70% may be the way to benefit most from it. But it may make less difference with LFP batteries than minimizing time spent > 55% for NCA batteries which degrade more.

But note that the once per week 100% charging is recommended to ensure that the BMS knows the actual state of charge, since it can get "lost" in the flat part of the voltage curve over many charging cycles without seeing 100% (or very low states of charge).

• Informative
Reactions: driver7 and AAKEE
Upvote 0
Had you thought about asking the Tesla reps when you picked up your car? But LFP batteries prefer to be at 100% all the time, not just once a week.
It does not "prefer" being at 100% (even though it is less affected than NCA). The 100% charge was purely to improve the BMS capacity estimate, especially at low SOCs. It was added because LFP cars were getting stranded at SOCs below 10% due to the BMS being uncalibrated with LFPs (then the li-ion 12V batteries also die).

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-ion-batteries-on-the-lfp-model-3-183306.html

Elon has his tweets as private now, but you can see the thread that mentioned it:
Tweet

Upvote 0