Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really want to love the aeros, I just can't.

Which is the look for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Aero wheels are absolutely FUGLY to me and my wife (X 1000 with the covers on). Going with the 19" wheels and plan to powdercoat them Tesla grey.
I agree. Ho puts hubcabs on a car these days!!!
I'm not wild about the 19' wheels so i'l go for aftermarket 20' wheels and use the Aero wheels for the winter.
They can keep de hubcabs becouse i'l never putting theme on.

I'm on the fence with this too. I'm not a superfan of the aero with caps, but I can't see them while I'm driving and they offer benefits the larger wheels don't. I'm guessing it's a look that will have to grow on me. But I agree with others, $50K+ car with hubcaps?

How else would you make a lightweight aero wheel? If that large, flat surface was all metal and integral to the wheel, the thing would be very heavy.

I like my 19’s so much. Every time I see a 3 with Aeros I want to go hug my wheels and say to them,”I’m sorry I ever wanted to get Aeros” and so I plasti dipped them to enhance the look even more. If you like the Aeros go for it. 4% range loss doesn’t bother me.
Just be aware you will likely lose more than 4%.
The 4+% difference is between 18-aero and 18 w/o aero. The difference between 18-aero and 19 is supposedly up to 10%. The number has not been confirmed yet on this forum.

Reactions: T34ME
Just be aware you will likely lose more than 4%.
The 4+% difference is between 18-aero and 18 w/o aero. The difference between 18-aero and 19 is supposedly up to 10%. The number has not been confirmed yet on this forum.
Let's take the 19 vs covered Aero benefit of 10% as a given, for purposes of my post.
What's the baseline 310 range measured on, wheel-wise?
That's super important for those of us choosing range vs wheels.

What's the baseline 310 range measured on, wheel-wise?
The consensus is that the measurement comes for the standard configuration, i.e. 18-aero.
There are some reports that EPA actually measured it at 334 and Musk asked them to put 310 on the record for the reasons unknown.
It is possible that 18aero does 334 and 19inch wheels give you 310 and he picked the lowest. There is also some speculation that FSD will be very energy demanding and will bring the effective range down in the future.

Here’s my short but sweet story.
I think the aero caps are just fluff. I like my 19’s so much. Every time I see a 3 with Aeros I want to go hug my wheels and say to them,”I’m sorry I ever wanted to get Aeros” and so I plasti dipped them to enhance the look even more. If you like the Aeros go for it. 4% range loss doesn’t bother me. If I have to spend $5 more on supercharging here’s my 5 dollars. I may get them for ski trips though. If money didn’t matter I’d get a nice wide set of HRE’s. I hate myself.
My god that's a gorgeous 3...well done! The chrome delete is fantastic, particularly with the dark 19s with the Tesla logo still showing in the hub. Really just brilliantly done.
With a black Lexus with a front end that's chipped to hell and back by highway driving, I'm reticent to go black.
How are you protecting your paint?

Also keep in mind you won't be charging to 100% on a regular basis, only for long trips. I was solidly in the 19 for looks but the more I think about it I am thinking to go with 18's and paint the aero's silver to match blue better. Of course I'm also thinking more about AWD the longer I wait, so that could change depending on what is offered with AWD.

My god that's a gorgeous 3...well done! The chrome delete is fantastic, particularly with the dark 19s with the Tesla logo still showing in the hub. Really just brilliantly done.
With a black Lexus with a front end that's chipped to hell and back by highway driving, I'm reticent to go black.
How are you protecting your paint?
May do a clear bra but have sealant and wax on it for the time being.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Am I oversimplifying this? Isn't the aero wheels with and without the covers just a different Cd (drag coefficient)? That is easy to model the difference vs average speed. If it's about 4% at 70 MPH, it would be an easy graphic to produce. Clearly the covers make it more aerodynamic, but if you don't care for the look of the covers, it's nice to know how much they offer...

Here’s my short but sweet story.
I think the aero caps are just fluff. I like my 19’s so much. Every time I see a 3 with Aeros I want to go hug my wheels and say to them,”I’m sorry I ever wanted to get Aeros” and so I plasti dipped them to enhance the look even more. If you like the Aeros go for it. 4% range loss doesn’t bother me. If I have to spend $5 more on supercharging here’s my 5 dollars. I may get them for ski trips though. If money didn’t matter I’d get a nice wide set of HRE’s. I hate myself.

Those look amazing. Self done or did you go somewhere?

@steven415 are you suggesting keeping the original tires and simply selling the alloy wheels and Aero hubcaps? And how much do you think one could fetch for the 18" wheels? Or would you plan on selling the wheels and tires together and then go use that money, and the $1,500 saved from not upgrading to the Tesla Sport wheels, to step up to 19" wheels and tires of your choosing? If it's that last option it's not a bad idea. :cool: