Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I sat in the rear of a Model Y today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a buddy of mine is a mid level Tesla guy and to my surprise showed up at my place to pick something up in a Model Y today. Clearly Tesla is getting many prototypes out in the real world now. Other than some handcrafted interior trim (I’m guessing it was an earlier prototype) it looked good. The front row seemed like a 3 with a more headroom, and the second row felt roomier than an X (though the Y might be a pinch smaller it has more glass and a lot less falcon wing door hardware overhead). Sadly there was no 3rd row installed to check out but the truck was big. I’m pretty sure I’d happily own and drive one. Given what the Model 3 has done in the shrinking midsize sedan market, I suspect any old car manufacturer not concerned in the hot midsize CUV space will be in trouble.

So a buddy of mine is a mid level Tesla guy and to my surprise showed up at my place to pick something up in a Model Y today. Clearly Tesla is getting many prototypes out in the real world now. Other than some handcrafted interior trim (I’m guessing it was an earlier prototype) it looked good. The front row seemed like a 3 with a more headroom, and the second row felt roomier than an X (though the Y might be a pinch smaller it has more glass and a lot less falcon wing door hardware overhead). Sadly there was no 3rd row installed to check out but the truck was big. I’m pretty sure I’d happily own and drive one. Given what the Model 3 has done in the shrinking midsize sedan market, I suspect any old car manufacturer not concerned in the hot midsize CUV space will be in trouble.

Thanks for sharing! How was the getting in and getting out feel? Was it more like a CUV, or similar to the Model 3?

I’ve been hoping the Y will be easier to get in and out of than the Model 3.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
Having sat in my M3 with 3 adults in the rear seats one thing I don't particularly like is the way the side bolsters make it uncomfortable for
the outer occupants. I would have preferred less side and seat bolsters and more of a flat bench seat in the rear.

Ok, back on topic for me.

How did the headroom look in the back?

Would you say there is more trunk room in the back or is it just because it’s a hatchback?

Thank goodness, for steering it back.
Middle row headroom was large and airy. There was no 3rd row to judge but it didn’t look high but it’s hard to say for sure as it was an early prototype and I suspect just had Model 3 seats in it. The trunk area is much deeper vertically than a 3 from the taller shape.

Did you try moving the middle seats back and forth? Flip them down to see what sleeping in the car is going to be like?

OP: with the more headroom, did you happen to notice if the seat controls would allow you to raise the seat more (higher)?

Sadly I didn't get to play with it much and it was such an early prototype that I'm pretty sure the seats were from a Model 3 so wouldn't be indicative of the final product.

How was the seating height in the front? About as high as an Audi Q5?

Thank goodness, for steering it back.
Middle row headroom was large and airy. There was no 3rd row to judge but it didn’t look high but it’s hard to say for sure as it was an early prototype and I suspect just had Model 3 seats in it. The trunk area is much deeper vertically than a 3 from the taller shape.
I’m trying to get a sense of second row head room. How tall are you? How much clearance would you say you had? Did you find the frame portion in the way? I remember some people from the reveal test rides saying that it made for less head room than the 3.

Ps. I’m suppressing my jealousy that you’ve seen a Y already in an effort to seem cool and collected.