Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to buy a used S with free supercharging. Should I go Private or Tesla ?

Private party purchase or Tesla for used S w supercharging

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks I posted a poll did anyone vote?

I did. I voted Tesla, but forget the free supercharging. All used Tesla’s, bought from Tesla, come with a Tesla warranty. That alone is worth the effort.

My car was paired to my phone at delivery and had no issues getting it transferred to me.

I have not used a Supercharger since last December. I only use them when on road trips. At home I have free nights electric plan do no cost charging at home.

I'd go Tesla despite the issues they have. My prefered 3rd party site is New and used Tesla MS, MX and M3 cars for sale and just type "free supercharging" into the search box to list the ones they current have with it, but be quick, they often strip supercharging away from used cars.

Not sure it its a local thing to where I am but ev-cpo seems to have an increasing number of dead links, either that or I'm doing something wrong.

Not sure it its a local thing to where I am but ev-cpo seems to have an increasing number of dead links, either that or I'm doing something wrong.

It takes about a day for EV-CPO to pick up any sold or removed listings. Tesla doesn't publish a real-time list of sold/removed cars, so the system has to periodically check the current listings to see if they are no longer available. When that happens, they are moved to the Archived listings.

It takes about a day for EV-CPO to pick up any sold or removed listings. Tesla doesn't publish a real-time list of sold/removed cars, so the system has to periodically check the current listings to see if they are no longer available. When that happens, they are moved to the Archived listings.

Thanks for clarifying - but the observation and resulting usability still stands and other sites seem to not suffer the same way.

Tesla seem to be changing new car links all the time as they're trying to hide the VIN for some reason, unfortunately thats leaving a lot of noise and dead links.

Sometimes we ask the wrong question.
Have you actually calculated the value of free supercharging?
That boxes you into older less efficient cars with less range.

Are you aware that heavy supercharging comes with penalties of slowing supercharging for battery health reasons.

I am not saying you are wrong to look for this just saying know the drawbacks. Some folks with cars that used to charge at up to 120kw are down to almost 70 that adds significant supercharging time.
If looking for an around town car and superchargers are at your regular haunts that can work out fine. If you are thinking of road trips an older less efficient car with low range and slow charging might not be right.

Couple of great points here. 1 is the value of free supercharging, which is normally only used on long trips. Over the course of a year, it's maybe $100-200 (?), guess it depends on your usage. I have a supercharger 2 miles from my house and charged there for the first month, before I installed the Tesla wall charger at home. While it was nice, it was still a pain when compared to the 15 seconds it takes at home. It's worth the $5 addition to the electric bill to not have to drive over there and sit for 20 minutes or so.

2nd point is the cars that get free supercharging are the ones that throttled so much, that the cars are now basically city cars. My upcoming 300 mile trip will add another hour to stop twice for supercharging (2015 S85D), something that is obviously not required in an ICE car. My last supercharging experience showed 58 kW rate at 30% SOC. Definitely a lot slower than it was last year.

Bought my car a year ago from independent dealer and have FUSC. Love the looks, car was perfect, with only 14k miles on it and a great price. Purchase experience was great. I still have the battery warranty from Tesla, so the rest is a bit of a gamble.

Even if you are road tripping a lot or have a really long commute and need to SpC to make the round trip, I would say making "free supercharging" your primary deciding factor is a mistake. Super charging is so cheap, and you really only need to do it on road trips.... Even a long commute could be negated by working with your employer to install a charger for you....

I'd be more concerned with a car that fits my lifestyle and budget: Newest tech is always best with Tesla so you're better off with a new M3/MY. You can get the latest HW3 computer for smooth AP and SpC much faster on the new packs found in those vehicles. Insurance will be much cheaper on the 3/Y vs S/X. I'd get a LR MY and be done with it.

TLDR: Supercharging is cheap- get the newest car you can afford with the biggest battery you can afford. The End.

Private party is winning
for more reasons than just FUSC, in Feb 2019 Tesla eliminated the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the Battery and Drive Unit and removed cosmetic issues from warranty coverage and added a monthly premium connectivity charge.
tesla-modifies-warranty-terms-to-protect-against-known-issues.jpg

There used to be tons of cars with the free supercharging on the used Tesla site but now there is none. It changed like a week ago when they got rid of the pics. I know because I just bought a used car with free supercharging and had a lot of options.

• Informative
Reactions: rafacq