Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I will wait or buy Audi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I liked the SAS and pano roof on our Model S AWD and was holding out for SAS too but broke down when Invited to order the AWD LR version back last June. Have had my car now for 6 months and have enjoyed every minute driving it. Don’t know if SAS would have made the ride feel better (wheel choice and tire pressure probably the main factors) and I haven’t had issues clearing any slanted driveways (no bottoming out) or getting over any big speed bumps our city and some places we frequent are fond of.

I have wondered if Tesla’s strategy will be to introduce an AWD SAS variation with more luxury interior after the SR is out to then bump up the trim of the Model 3 to a more expensive price point to level out profits. It would offer something to compete on that interior luxury level they might be losing out to once other manufacturers come out with their cars. As far as I’m concerned Tesla wins on every other aspect of the car. I personally am just fine with the interior and find other cars dadh especially to be cluttered and unnessarily so to the point its a turn off. But lots of potential buyers will be coming from more luxury appointed vehicles and would be sad to lose them over some essentially fabric choices and things like SAS.
I'm getting weak too....

I've owned 2 Audi's. Still own one. A diesel hit by the whole fraud thing. Yeah. Actually, they are great cars. But, local dealer charges $650 for an oil change and to top off the exhaust aftertreatment. So.....yeah.

Mercedes standard material in most cars is "M-Tex." Had it in the R320 before the Q7. It was NOT leather. It is vinyl.

A4 at least used to come only with their "leatherette," which is NOT leather. It is vinyl.

I have yet to find a $60,000 car where cloth is an option. I suppose maybe one could get a Shelby Mustang or Camaro ZL1 with cloth. But the notion that paying $60,000 for a car and then having to pay extra to have the seats recovered with cloth is somehow a Tesla issue is laughable. it is an owner issue. And I get that, because I'm a picky-a** car owner, too. I love my manual transmissions. I love station wagons, and I hate SUV's. I prefer minimalist interiors, and prefer manual controls over stuff like HVAC. Those are all me issues. And I don't go blaming the OEM's because they don't make a car that is exactly what I want. I vent my frustrations, but I don't go imply that, for example, Lincoln has a great midsize RWD station wagon with 400hp, a 6-speed manual, and sport suspension. Because they don't.

I will hold off for Air Suspension, Heated Steering Wheel and New Computer Chip. ( from experience, I don't believe Tesla will install new chip, for free, to those of us that have previous computer chip in their M3. Too many unfulfilled Promises from Elon and Tesla. Loosing TRUST )
I currently have a Model S and X P100D with the EAP in both vehicles. Still doesn't do as much as Tesla indicated 3+ years ago. Still costs as much.
Unfulfilled promises like the E-Tron coming out in 2015, then 2016, then 2017, then 2018, and finally in 2019?

The front and rear ultrasonic sensors have a field of view. They frequently see curbs and the front cement parking slabs down to about 12 " distance but any closer and the beam is over them. There is no need for front or 360 camera display. The rear end of the car is short so you don't have to park deep into a space. The rear camera shows the area to directly under the rear bumper. At superchargers you need to back in till you almost touch the barrier.

They make after-market heated steering wheel covers.

Sonar has a limited field of "view" up/down- it's pretty common for it to not see very low objects close to the car (or taller ones either- see all the folks who report things like the car physically hitting lifted trucks using auto-park because it was too high for the sonar to detect)
True, but until you get too close to the object it works ok for me. And the car isn't so long that if I stop when it's down to 10 or so inches I' not sticking out.

They’ve got the cameras to do a reasonable surround view,

No, they don't. As previously explained in this, and many other, threads.

The Tesla cameras are designed to see OTHER cars, not what is very close/under the Tesla.

The type, and placement, of Teslas cameras is great for the intended purpose, but they literally can not provide the overhead 360 parking view other cars do by putting downward-facing fisheye cameras in the lower bumpers

I just traded in a Honda Insight and bought a new midrange M3 and I own a 2015 A4 FWD that I bought used with about 5k miles on it. Both are a lot of fun to drive. The M3 has noticeably better acceleration and handling. The A4 has a smoother, quieter ride. The Audi's interior feels a bit more plush and luxurious. It has a moon roof. The M3 cabin seems a bit bare but it may grow on me. The M3 is the safest car you can buy in the US.

The Tesla runs on electricity from my home which has solar panels. The Audi, which mostly does duty as a 15 mile a day commuter in congested traffic conditions, has averaged about 23mpg so far and that has been my biggest disappointment in an otherwise nice and very enjoyable car. This is where the two cars really become an apple and an orange. If I retired the Audi today, I'd replace it with another M3, hands down because the car drives very nicely and burns no gas.

No, they don't. As previously explained in this, and many other, threads.

The Tesla cameras are designed to see OTHER cars, not what is very close/under the Tesla.

The type, and placement, of Teslas cameras is great for the intended purpose, but they literally can not provide the overhead 360 parking view other cars do by putting downward-facing fisheye cameras in the lower bumpers
They can if they remember what they saw as they drove up to the site. Cameras plus computer, not just cameras.
Could also add CGI objects in response to ultrasonically sensed objects.

Let us know how you like the Audi ... in 3 years.

First E-Tron delivered a few days ago, lots of them on the boat and more in production. Constructive criticism would help Tesla a lot more than snarky comments like this one.
I'm well aware of the current E-tron. However that's an SUV and I assumed the OP was referring to the announced E-Tron sedan which isn't expected for another 3 or 4 years. So, yes, it may have been a little snarky in the phrasing, but still absolutely true.

They can if they remember what they saw as they drove up to the site. Cameras plus computer, not just cameras.
Could also add CGI objects in response to ultrasonically sensed objects.

They can't though- because things move.

With actual live cameras if your kid left something lying near the car (or say an animal, is actually laying there) you'll see that with a working overhead when you go to pull out of your driveway. With "computer guess based on what might have been there yesterday when you parked) not so much.

Relying on the car remembering what was there hours ago when you parked (in a car that still struggles to remember what music you were playing when you got out) isn't really a substitute for that.

And given how many supported features are still not working, or barely working, they probably don't have the resources to try and cobble together a faux simulation of a feature the car explicitly lacks the proper hardware to offer.