Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would never purchase a tesla again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2013 Model S P90 brand new. I have taken excellent care of and have not driven it too hard. I've had the normal issues several door handles not presenting and other small miscellaneous issues. My first large maintenance issue was my screen went out and that was 3k. Other than that pretty happy. My batteries seem good but concerned if they do go bad I hear the cost is around 24k. I just had a drivetrain error and the dealer is telling me 8k. This seems outrageous and based on what the car is worth it's almost needs to be a parts car. I would probably invest in the drive train but worried if next year if I get the batteries need to be replaced notice. Its pretty sad you spend over 100k and now the car is almost worthless. If i did decide to fix it, it will take months before the parts are available. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of a tesla with a drivetrain light issue?

152598B0-5AF1-4A7C-8B99-58A8CCB7B8AF.png

I don't have an answer to your question, sorry, but I have to say I'm dumbfounded how you are upset that your car broke down and needs expensive repairs 9 years in. Seems like it held up really well.

Good luck with your situation, given used car prices, if it was me I'd fix it and then sell it for 30ish k and still come ahead $20k or so
Yup. I would think he could get 30k +.

Here’s a 2014 asking 50k for example…

BMW engine replacements typically cost 5-7k (with labor). So not really out of line “that” much. Early year production cars are probably prone to more issues. It is unfortunate though.

Last edited:
Reactions: brico84
Your absolutely right!!! And based on the responses not a lot of nice or happy people hear.

(not moderation content. Not representing TMC, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin the moderator)

The issue is, your sensationalist thread title, combined with a complaint about repairs on a 9 year old car as if its never supposed to need repairs. If your thread title was " Need repairs on my 2013 P85, not sure its worth it" or something like that, you would likely be getting a different response.

When you start with a sensationalist "I will never.....!", the type of response one tends to get would also be that type of response.

The company I work for has had to rebuild 3 engines, replace 2 completely, and replace/rebuild 4 transmissions on our fleet of 2019 Silverado’s. Are we disappointed that this happened? Sure we are, but we are out of warranty and it’s just the nature of out of warranty cost. Any vehicle can get expensive to repair once your out of warranty. Tesla is no different, it actually might be a bit better since the lack of thousands of extra engine related parts.

Don’t want to deal with expensive repair bills? The answer is simple, only own a car while it’s under warranty. Any “luxury” brand especially can get stupid expensive to fix out of warranty.

Last edited:
I do understand your plight. Sorry you are going through this. Just missed the 8 year warranty for this issue (would have expired sometime in 2021). One thing to keep in mind is not the worth of the car necessarily, but how you feel about paying $8000 to get current car fixed or way more for getting a new/used car (note that the used car market is crazy right now due to supply chain). Personally I would pay to get the new drive unit. Hopefully you can get a new one in a couple weeks.