Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would never purchase a tesla again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used a simple approach for years. I ask myself if the on-going cost of repairs is starting to approach the monthly cost of a car payment. It almost never does, so I pay for repairs out of warranty and only buy a new car because I want the latest safety features or the car can no longer pass a safety inspection or it can't be repaired (usually due to rust). I do keep two cars so at least one is available if the other is in the shop. My other tip is for folks like me who live in colder regions--make your older car your "beater". I have a ten year old hybrid sporting top of the line snow tires that we use almost exclusively after the snow starts to fly. Our Model 3 stays in the garage unless the roads are completely clear. In a few more years, the Model 3 will become our new beater when the hybrid finally dies. Sure, repairing an older car can be expensive, but over time it almost always ends up costing less than a monthly car payment.

Definitely can't recommend Electrified Garage for any battery related issues, given they don't seem to have accepted that modules/cells can't be replaced in a pack.

But if you're in Florida and need a drive unit replacement, they're probably capable and can probably beat Tesla's pricing. Not much to mess up there as long as you have the right tools.

We can also look into service for you at our shop in NC, if you like, but I don't think we can beat your quote from Tesla after freight and such, mainly because it's a performance rear unit and we sell those for other projects as well.

For issues with the battery, don't worry about the crazy replacement costs. We can almost always beat Tesla, especially for folks on the east coast. If you end up keeping the car, might look into our service plan which can save you a ton on that if it fails.
Didn't realize you were doing this; otherwise, I definitely would have recommended you. I've seen your work firsthand.

Reactions: wk057
Your absolutely right!!! And based on the responses not a lot of nice or happy people hear.
I’m sorry to hear you are having technical issues with your Tesla. The reactions you receive here are however kind of self inflicted by your first post with a title like that and the fact that you claim to have a non existent version of a car and the response you give to that when pointed out.
Getting back to the issue I think you should really consider the fact that, while 8k is a lot of money for a repair, it is a motor repair on a 100k car. If you would have significant motor damage to a car 1/4 the price, a 2k repair would be a lot still but nothing out of the ordinary. Regarding the repair itself, nothing is holding you back to take your car elsewhere for a second opinion. Seeing that you took your car to the SeC in Miami, maybe give electrified garage a call?

As a 2017 100D owner, the only reason that my next EV would not be a Tesla is the yoke and lack of turn signal stalk.
Well, some people find it hard to change. I'm glad you bought a 100D. Personally, I'm not stuck with a round wheel just because I grew up with one. Things change. I'd at least go take a test drive before I started beating my chest and calling the yoke a bad design. I figure it would take me a couple weeks to get used to the turn signals in the center, and the round wheel DOES rub my legs, with the seat all the way down and back. If you're built different, maybe the yoke is harder for you to get used to, but I'd like to try it.

Well, some people find it hard to change. I'm glad you bought a 100D. Personally, I'm not stuck with a round wheel just because I grew up with one. Things change. I'd at least go take a test drive before I started beating my chest and calling the yoke a bad design. I figure it would take me a couple weeks to get used to the turn signals in the center, and the round wheel DOES rub my legs, with the seat all the way down and back. If you're built different, maybe the yoke is harder for you to get used to, but I'd like to try it.
The "yoke" is dumb. The whole reason for a yoke is so that you can control left/right and up/down movement on the same control like you can on an aircraft. Now if Tesla had made the yoke also control up/down (or in the case of a vehicle that moves in two dimensions, acceleration/braking) then it would actually make sense to have a yoke. But this "yoke" still operates like a steering wheel and rotates only around one axis...but has asymmetries that make it more difficult to rotate. Note that the pilot in an aircraft should never have to rotate the yoke such that his left hand is holding the right side of the yoke and vice versa. In fact, the pilot should never have to let go of the yoke with any hand if he just wants to change the direction the aircraft is moving. This is not true of the Tesla "yoke".

I purchased a 2013 Model S P90 brand new. I have taken excellent care of and have not driven it too hard. I've had the normal issues several door handles not presenting and other small miscellaneous issues. My first large maintenance issue was my screen went out and that was 3k. Other than that pretty happy. My batteries seem good but concerned if they do go bad I hear the cost is around 24k. I just had a drivetrain error and the dealer is telling me 8k. This seems outrageous and based on what the car is worth it's almost needs to be a parts car. I would probably invest in the drive train but worried if next year if I get the batteries need to be replaced notice. Its pretty sad you spend over 100k and now the car is almost worthless. If i did decide to fix it, it will take months before the parts are available. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of a tesla with a drivetrain light issue?

Check the market value of a 2013 Model S with your miles.

You should have FUSC. That's worth a lot to some people.
Also, if you've largely been charging at home, your battery might not be nerfed, which has value.

I expect you should be able to get it fixed and sell, or just sell it with the estimate, and then without spending too much more, buy a sensible new long-range BEV.

PS https://www.carfax.com/Used-2013-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class_z2076
Values of vehicles at the top end of the market will absolutely tank. The used market has value-seekers buying.

Reactions: Ciaopec