Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i1Tesla reviewed "The Bandit" license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased "The Bandit" - great product. Has worked fine for me - no problems.

20180929_193856.jpg

Reactions: TonyPham
I’ve been using the Bandit since I took deliver in September. Have been happy with it until today. I went to remove the bracket and when I went to loosen the bolt....the nut that’s in the back bracket stripped within the bracket. It just kept spinning and I wasn’t able to loosen the bolt. 3 of the 4 nut/bolts did this. So I was able to remove one side... and the other side I had to take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut the back bracket so I could remove it. I did not overly tighten it and it did not take much force to strip it. I would advise maybe using some anti-seize on the bolts when installing them to help prevent this.

Here are some pics. Top nut stripped and spins in the black bracket...bottom one was the only one I was able to loosen.

ABDA4150-CB27-4282-8832-073980213717.jpeg
2F1DF9FA-D40F-48D9-AAC9-B2D2ADCD32E7.jpeg

I’ve been using the Bandit since I took deliver in September. Have been happy with it until today. I went to remove the bracket and when I went to loosen the bolt....the nut that’s in the back bracket stripped within the bracket. It just kept spinning and I wasn’t able to loosen the bolt. 3 of the 4 nut/bolts did this. So I was able to remove one side... and the other side I had to take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut the back bracket so I could remove it. I did not overly tighten it and it did not take much force to strip it. I would advise maybe using some anti-seize on the bolts when installing them to help prevent this.

This is exactly what happened to mine and I have been posting about it:

best model 3 license plate bracket

I tried to reseat the threaded insert, but it wouldn't hold. I gave up and decided to just get something else, as I've lost confidence in the product. Not very durable for the price charged for this.......

@N54TT @jkoya, appreciate your feedback and apologies for the inconveniences you are experiencing. Will examine issue and post resolution soon, Thanks!

Tony thanks for your help. Great customer service! I believe it was an issue with the bolt seizing in the threaded insert. Other than doing something to prevent seizing...I think a square insert instead of hexagon would also help prevent it from stripping within the marine board.

PSA: if anyone is having issues and meeting any resistance when unscrewing the mounting bolts. Don’t force it. Try and get some wd40 or pb blaster on that back insert/bolt. Maybe use some anti seize when installing as well.