Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE mechanics HATE Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sitting in a business networking meeting this morning and one of the attendees owns a auto repair/maintenance shop (he claims to be a Tesla tech because he worked on an electric Rav4). There was another attendee talking to another person about how he wanted to buy a Tesla. The mechanic quickly chimed in and said, "Tesla is going down!" He was talking like there was going to be a battery apocalypse. He claimed that ALL Tesla batteries will either lose all their charge in a few years or explode. I've heard of this ICE-blocking tactic before and never seen it in action until this morning. All I could say to him is wow, you really are freaked out about electric vehicles.

It's good to know you people exist.

The first time I showed off my model S to my co-workers they went crazy at the fact that there was no engine. Then one of the guys was asking about the exhaust. I told him that there was none. Immediately after the everyone goes to the back of the car and all drop down to their stomachs to take a look beneath the car and one of them exclaims 'There's nothing!'

Maximus8, I think it's good to try to educate people who may not understand the technology, such as the person you encountered. Tesla batteries are engineered well and could last 20 years or longer. They do come with an 8 year/unlimited mile warranty.

As for the fires/explosions concern, there was one incident with a Model S recently but in that case, the driver was warned ahead of time and was able to get out without injury. These cases are extremely rare and when you compare the number of Tesla EV fires (less than 10) vs. ICE fires (many thousands per year), Tesla wins the safety case. They are also improving their designs year over year to further reduce the already unlikely chance of there being an incident.

I was sitting in a business networking meeting this morning and one of the attendees owns a auto repair/maintenance shop (he claims to be a Tesla tech because he worked on an electric Rav4). There was another attendee talking to another person about how he wanted to buy a Tesla. The mechanic quickly chimed in and said, "Tesla is going down!" He was talking like there was going to be a battery apocalypse. He claimed that ALL Tesla batteries will either lose all their charge in a few years or explode. I've heard of this ICE-blocking tactic before and never seen it in action until this morning. All I could say to him is wow, you really are freaked out about electric vehicles.

No one can speak with greater authority on conviction on any given subject than he who is not inhibited by the facts. Tell that to your "Rav4 tech'. :)

Reactions: Maximus8
The first time I showed off my model S to my co-workers they went crazy at the fact that there was no engine. Then one of the guys was asking about the exhaust. I told him that there was none. Immediately after the everyone goes to the back of the car and all drop down to their stomachs to take a look beneath the car and one of them exclaims 'There's nothing!'
I've come to the conclusion that most of the masses are as dumb as a box of rocks.

No one can speak with greater authority on conviction on any given subject than he who is not inhibited by the facts. Tell that to your "Rav4 tech'. :)

I used to have the Rav4EV. I think Toyota gave Tesla mounds of information by using a pre-production Model S motor and ironing out all of the battery and driveline issues. They've had about a 40% failure rate on the motors due to gear lube getting all grimy. It let Tesla fine tune as much as possible for the Model S and alleviate a major failure problem which would have been even worse than the existing early Model S had.

I do miss the Rav4EV, it had tons of space for things and a decent towing capacity. Much more SUV feel than the ModelX.

• Funny
Reactions: Lloyd

You can surely understand his position. In the next 15 years there are going to be some major readjustments taking place in the industry and it will be quite difficult for some of the folks who have been in the business for their whole lives.

Not all ICE mechanics hate Tesla. The mechanic that we always take my wife's car to always asks me questions about my car, in keen and enthusiastic car nut kind of way. Mind you, he is not your usual mechanic. He runs the shop with one hat, and with his other hat he teaches auto mechanics at a local college. He has to prepare the next generation of auto mechanics, and perhaps in the back of his mind he has to get them ready for the EV revolution.

Jeez...

You folk do know that Tesla WILL NOT HIRE you as a mechanic or service writer unless you have years of Franchise Dealership Experience, right?

:D

Did you think McDonald's Fry Cooks are working on your 2012 car?

PS - My good friend and fellow racer, worked at several franchise dealerships for ~20 years. He is now working at an EV truck factory that makes electric airport buses. His wife drives an EV even.

While your story reads like fantasy, I am going to take you are your word that it is true. What year did that experience occur in? It is hard for me to imagine that could happen recently in Minnesota given that Tesla has been in volume production for around four years now, and Nissan has been producing large numbers of Leafs for even longer.

This is the wrong kind of paranoia. A lot of folks forget but when GM first came out with the EV1, nearly all mechanics loved it because maintenance was actually A LOT easier. They didn't come home smelling like fuel, oil, & covered with oil stains -- needless to say, they were in shocked!

Reactions: gabeincal