Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE: Would you ever go back?

When you're ready to replace your Model 3, would you consider ICE for your next car?

• Yes. I could see going back.

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • No. Not ever. No way.

Votes: 282 78.6%
  • Maybe. Answering questions about the future is hard.

Votes: 55 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a BMW roughly a month and a half after the Tesla. Tesla makes 3 models. They can't fulfill every need/want in the market. For the time being, with such limited choices in electric, ICE is very much a necessity.

Most people don't need the 300+ range of the LR model. I do.

I got the BMW because an ICE is still more convenient for long road trips. There aren't enough charging stations saturating the world where you don't have to worry about where you can go because of lack of charging options. Plus, on a trip, not everyone wants to spend hours waiting for a car to charge. That should be rectified in the future, but it'll be years before that happens. I don't see it in the lifetime of the my Model 3. So, in the meantime, I need an ICE as well. Just visiting the in laws in a place supposedly as tech oriented and progressive as SF is stressful due to lack of charging options.

I don't blame you at all. When I drive from Northern California to Southern California I typically don't make any stops if by myself. When my boys were younger, they were trained with one stop. I have never enjoyed driving down Interstate 5 and I want to get the drive done in a quick manner. I typically set my cruise control to 77 M.P.H. and go. My wife went on a trip to LA with a group of friends and they stopped 4-5 times on the way down and it took around 8 hours to get there. People don't realize how much time they waste by stopping constantly. I see the same people multiple times blow past me, they stop, they blow past me again.

That being said I am planning on taking my kids to Disneyland shortly and we are taking our Model 3. So this will be a complete shift for me. When I bought the car I said this is going to be our primary trip car. I am willing to change and make some adjustments to the way we drive. I still own three ICE cars and I acknowledge taking one of them will be easier but I enjoy driving the 3 too much.

Last edited:
I've noticed a lot of 'disagrees' when someone expresses a preference for ICE cars, or says they might need an ICE car in the future.

That's not really the correct use of the 'disagree' action.

In a poll asking "Do you like ICE or EV?", if someone says "ICE" you can't disagree with their preference. That's like saying that you disagree that they prefer ICE.

You might not share their opinion, but you can't deny that it is their opinion.
I think we have a right to disagree with there love of ice and clutches, just as much as you have the right to disagree with our use of the thumbs down button.

• Funny
Reactions: AustinPowers
Have been driving electric for almost 5 years now.

The answer is no.

UNLESS (1)
it jeopardizes my retirement. My previous electric lost a lot of value, hopefully Tesla won't lose as much (and i hope it will stay in shape as long as possible, i think 15 years is not entirely out of questions, my longest owned car had reached 14 years before i sold it);

UNLESS (2) it is an EV that cannot pass SF-LA-SD-LV round trip test (mostly due to DC infrastructure). I also won't ever buy an EV with under 150mi range again.

Re(2): I used to be a big proponent of range YAGNI principle until i had a family emergency and had to go to hospital and my car failed on range. Thankfully there's lyft and uber (or taxi which never comes on time) but I will not own an EV that I can't rely on to go around the Bay Area at least twice a day on a single charge ever again. Outliers do happen and some of them are critical to overcome.

I don't know what happens in 10-15 years, but at the moment only Tesla satisfies the test (2); and if the test(1) (i.e., cost) is an issue, i may be forced to go back to a phev.

I am currently forced to use a PHEV for my 2nd car (a minivan) which is the only option for the form factor because nothing satisfies tests 1 and 2.

You know that some of us actually lives outside the US. Crazy, huh?

In a country where the education system produces a POTUS who thinks Belgium is a "nice city", anything is possible. ;)

Try reading a "news"paper in the US. Of 40 pages, about half is filled with advertisments, a third is sports, and the rest is US affairs. Oh, things that happen outside the US do get coverage too - about three square inches on page 38. Now compare that with a European newspaper... :p

The current one has an IQ of > 150. Were you referring to former ones?

Yeah, I call BS. The current POTUS has an IQ = to 50 you mean. An ego of 150% maybe. And I say this as a Republican.

The SNOPES article explains a lot about admission to elite schools. It also explains Bush Jr getting into Yale despite his famously poor grades. I personally got to see how it all worked. Unfortunately, after I had been accepted to all the schools I'm ever going to attend. I've seen my younger cousins benefit though.

How can any ICE car be more of a "fun car" than a Tesla?

Some people think The Big Bang Theory was a good TV sitcom. I thought it was the worst, most predictable, milktoast garbage I've ever seen in my life. People are different. We find different things fun and enjoyable.

My other car is a manual, which I enjoy, and it's loud which I enjoy for what it is. It has a turbocharger which feels completely different, and I enjoy it. I also have a motorcycle which has an ICE. I love riding. Right now electric motorcycles can't hold a candle to the range and rapid refueling that my motorcycle achieves. Maybe someday I'll have an EV motorcycle as well as my ICE one.

Reactions: AustinPowers
I took my model 3 in for ceramic coating -- it has 1800 miles on it, I have had it for 6 weeks. I got a rental car for a couple of days. Wow it is bad! It was a Nissan Altima, not a bad car, but after driving the model 3 for a while it was crazy. So much engine revving. I assume it is a 4 cylinder since ti was a rental. So much noise. I had trouble remembering to turn off the car. Not only that but the dash was filled with controls.

You know what? I do not miss any of the controls I used to have. Being forced to have them for a couple of days was really strange.

Had to remember to turn off the car... Somehow turning on was not really a big deal. It had key fobs so walking up to the car and opening via the handle was not hard. Remembering to press the lock button required thought.

That is one of the big points I make to people that I show my Tesla to - you just walk up and open it up and drive, then park and walk away...

I think we have a right to disagree with there love of ice and clutches, just as much as you have the right to disagree with our use of the thumbs down button.
But if the question is "Do you like ICE?" and they say "Yes", then a disagree means that you disagree they like ICE.
But if they didn't like ICE why would they have said so?
Maybe I'm being too pedantic !!!

Reactions: TT97