Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEd Superchargers - Next Steps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah key word is 'Only'. Otherwise the spot is signed for electric vehicles, but it doesn't prevent a non-electric vehicle from parking there. It just doesn't welcome them.

So you need electric vehicle/tesla "Only" or others will be "towed" or "prohibited".

I think the Hawthorne ones say 'active charging of electric vehicles only' or something similar.

That is not true in Arizona. Any non-EV occupying a spot designated for EVs or electric vehicles is subject to a $350 fine. The sign only has to say that the parking is for EVs or electric vehicles. I would expect other states with laws on the books to be similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that is a shame. Blink! made some messages you could leave under people's wipers. Perhaps peppering them will help some. These all allude to "EV Only" (with the harshest toned one the least so weirdly). You can find them here: http://prod.blinknetwork.com/file/7741/Blink+Courtesy+Notices.pdf

View attachment 50534
View attachment 50533
View attachment 50532

Some of that language is awfully snarky, don't you think?

I'm much more in favor of a TESLA TICKET that we can slap on someone's windshield.

I also thought the language was snarky. I'd rather not see people put those notes on innocent (or guilty) people's windshields. It would not be helpful in my opinion.

Something simple, like "parking your car here prevented me from charging, please park elsewhere next time" would be good.

On the second offense, have them towed! :smile:

GSP

The message with "I don't park my EV at your gas pump" actually raises an interesting idea:
It would funny to organize a day when EV owners block all gas pumps with their cars in an area in a protest against ICEing.

The message with "I don't park my EV at your gas pump" actually raises an interesting idea:
It would funny to organize a day when EV owners block all gas pumps with their cars in an area in a protest against ICEing.

The only problem with this is that 99.9% of the people who witness the spectacle will think it's a political protest of some sort. Nobody outside of EV world knows what ICEing is. We live in a bubble people! :)

No, that sort of thing is terribly self defeating. You end up acting like a**holes to a bunch of people who've likely never done you any harm, which just makes things worse. If you're going to do something to make a point you have to do it to the actual people that are affecting you, not some random set of people that happen to share a characteristic (e.g. ICE owners).

If you're going to do something to make a point you have to do it to the actual people that are affecting you, not some random set of people that happen to share a characteristic (e.g. ICE owners).
Ideally you find a way to park blocking the ICEing vehicle in and use some form of an extension cord to charge past them. ...

Though I do like the verbiage around "I wouldn't Park my EV at your gas pump"

Has anyone actually been ICE'd there, meaning unable to charge because all the ports were blocked? I know we all get upset when we see an ICE parked at a supercharger, myself included, but this is Macon, GA (not California, or even I-95 on the east coast) so I don't think all 8 superchargers will be needed by Teslas anytime soon.

I can't answer that question but Macon, GA is used by Atlanta residents heading to the beach. I imagine it gets a fairly decent amount of traffic.

Could someone with graphic arts skills post an ICE warning that looks like an official traffic/parking citation? Make it editable so that the user can type the name of their city or town on the thing so that it confuses that heck out of the ICEr

All,

I reached out to Tesla about the matter and I'm combining a few of their comments in this next post.

"Thank you for your email and for passing this information along. The best method for reporting blocked stalls is to call our customer support line listed on each Supercharger (877-798-3752). If we notice a certain site continuing to experience the problem, we work with the site land lord to address the issue. Please note that many of our sites are outfitted with some ‘Dedicated’ stalls (meant for only Tesla charging) and some ‘Enabled’ stalls which are open to general parking (usually at a certain specified time limit). As demand increases, we are able to convert these Enabled stalls to Dedicated stalls. In general, signs that say “Electric Vehicle Parking” are Dedicated spots. Enabled spots are usually demarcated by signs that indicate some type of general parking time limit. There will certainly be instances in which Dedicated spots are taken by ICE vehicles or Enabled time limits are being violated. We trust our owners’ judgment and appreciate alerts if there is significant blockage or regular blockages at a certain site."

I wanted to pass this along because some persons, to no fault of their own, believed that "Dedicated" spots need to mention "Tesla" or "Only". However it appears that "Dedicated" stalls can be marked with "Electric Vehicle Parking" as well. I mentioned in the email that I sent them, that a glossary type of section indicating which signs denote dedicated stalls and which ones do not could be very helpful to show on the website. I would assume that the most knowledgeable Tesla owners/fans would be on TMC and seeing that we didn't know the answers to these questions makes me believe that others could use the information as well. I encourage you to send feedback to Tesla at [email protected] if you believe the information could help additional persons.

Last edited:
I think the best way to fix these problems is to educate the world about it. I just thought of a way to do it. Choose a date and time and rally all PEV owners (Leafs, Volts, Model S, etc.) and have us all pull up and park in gas station stalls. This would make national news and cause enough of a stir that maybe the word will get-out and our point be made. It'll never happen, but it sounds good on paper.

I think the best way to fix these problems is to educate the world about it. I just thought of a way to do it. Choose a date and time and rally all PEV owners (Leafs, Volts, Model S, etc.) and have us all pull up and park in gas station stalls. This would make national news and cause enough of a stir that maybe the word will get-out and our point be made. It'll never happen, but it sounds good on paper.

I would love faster adoption of EVs at large, and I found it helpful to refrain from entertaining and advocating "us and them" mindsets, or thoughts that paint groups of people all the same color. And I've never seen less pain as a result of inflicting pain to others and asking "see what it feels like?".

The advice from these last three posts will only maximize aggrevation of the non-EV users.

Please refrain from such measures, is my advice.
These are two very different ideas. I agree the gas station sit-in (park-in?) would be counterproductive, but I think using the non-dedicated supercharging spaces first is appropriate and should be encouraged. It maximizes the availability of superchargers. ICE drivers can always park somewhere else, even if they have to walk a bit further, but we can't charge elsewhere when ICE cars are parked at a supercharger.

What I think we need to get out of this thread is a Consensus of what the proper course of action should be depending on the type of parking restriction for that spot using the following paramaters:

1. Is it a Tesla spot or Public EVSE?
2. Is it restricted for EV's only?
3. Is it marked properly to allow towing?

Feel free to add to the above, but lets come to a proper action as a group for each of the above.

While this might feel good you are more likely to negatively impact people who have never ICEd a charging spot and are also hurting someone's business. Not the way to build goodwill. We need people to back pro EV legislation when it comes up, not complain to their representatives and the police.

I'm not convinced. How could you look more stupid as an EV driver, not even parking in a purposely DESIGNATED space?

By non-designated, they meant "non-Tesla only." Some Superchargers have "shared" bays that are 30 mins parking for non-Tesla.

So, completely within the right of an MS to park there and charge, while still leaving "Tesla only" spots open for other Teslas who might arrive.