Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'd like AP/FSD pay-per-mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never plan to rent my car out, but I'd like AP/FSD features for occasional use. At the current pricing it makes no sense for me to buy them. I drive maybe 5-7K miles a year, maybe 10-20% of that would be AP or FSD. I'd be paying around $1/mile for FSD use over the time I own my car. It would be cheaper to leave it at home and have Lyft or a Tesla rideshare operator pick me up to go somewhere. Tesla should offer these features as a pay-by-the-mile feature I can enable when I need it. Anyone else think so?

I never plan to rent my car out, but I'd like AP/FSD features for occasional use. At the current pricing it makes no sense for me to buy them. I drive maybe 5-7K miles a year, maybe 10-20% of that would be AP or FSD. I'd be paying around $1/mile for FSD use over the time I own my car. It would be cheaper to leave it at home and have Lyft or a Tesla rideshare operator pick me up to go somewhere. Tesla should offer these features as a pay-by-the-mile feature I can enable when I need it. Anyone else think so?
But then folks would complain that they charge too much per mile...

• Love
Reactions: SSedan

Im marking "disagree" on the post because I dont agree with it, not because you said something wrong. I just dont agree with your position on this. I think it should remain as is, and I think that there is little chance they do this because they lose money this way.

Im marking "disagree" on the post because I dont agree with it, not because you said something wrong. I just dont agree with your position on this. I think it should remain as is, and I think that there is little chance they do this because they lose money this way.

Maybe you're right but they are leaving money on the table for everyone who doesnt pay for FSD. They have already spent the money researching, developing and putting the hardware in the car. I honestly don't know why still in the early days FSD feature isn't just $3000 or so the most ppl possible purchase it. If 2 out of 10 people purchase it at $5k but 6 out of 10 purchase it at $3k its profit obviously. I was on the fence for FSD when i purchased a month ago and now it says $7k for me to upgrade which will never happen. I want to pay for it but not at that price point and I know I'm not the only one.