Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot Moments with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, I swear me with this car is just a series of stupid moments on my part.

Within weeks of ownership I scratched the rear bumper getting a bike out of the car. It happened right before I was going to get the xpel-ultimate on the front so I decided to add it to the back to protect against future moments.

Then a few months later on I accidentally pushed the trunk button instead of the frunk like I wanted. So the truck went up and scratched against my garage. So it left a tiny gouge where the metal part of the garage hit. I tried to order touch up paint, but Tesla didn't carry it and gave no indications of ever doing so.

Then just today I took my jeep to get a stand/sit computer desk, but the large top piece didn't fit. So I went home, and a tape measure proved that it would fit in the Tesla. So I brought the Tesla, and it laid out perfectly. What I didn't realize at the time that the cardboard box was rubbing against the driver side seat back. I do keep a towel in my car for things like this, but I didn't think to use it. I don't know why I didn't. Just one of those moments where I rushed things a bit. Of course it scratched the seat back, and I don't know what to do about it. I should have just paid the $100+ delivery fee, and prevented my Tesla from being damaged.

Aside from loving to drive this car, and most everything about it I have to admit it's just not the car for me when it comes to wanting to keep it nice.

Ugh, I swear me with this car is just a series of stupid moments on my part.

Within weeks of ownership I scratched the rear bumper getting a bike out of the car. It happened right before I was going to get the xpel-ultimate on the front so I decided to add it to the back to protect against future moments.

Then a few months later on I accidentally pushed the trunk button instead of the frunk like I wanted. So the truck went up and scratched against my garage. So it left a tiny gouge where the metal part of the garage hit. I tried to order touch up paint, but Tesla didn't carry it and gave no indications of ever doing so.

Then just today I took my jeep to get a stand/sit computer desk, but the large top piece didn't fit. So I went home, and a tape measure proved that it would fit in the Tesla. So I brought the Tesla, and it laid out perfectly. What I didn't realize at the time that the cardboard box was rubbing against the driver side seat back. I do keep a towel in my car for things like this, but I didn't think to use it. I don't know why I didn't. Just one of those moments where I rushed things a bit. Of course it scratched the seat back, and I don't know what to do about it. I should have just paid the $100+ delivery fee, and prevented my Tesla from being damaged.

Aside from loving to drive this car, and most everything about it I have to admit it's just not the car for me when it comes to wanting to keep it nice.

Eh, i don't worry so much about the seat backs. Well, i *can't* worry about them so much. My kids don't miss an opportunity to grind mud and rocks into them.

100% xpel on the outside though. Provides peace of mind if nothing else.

Put food in the frunk and forgot about it until the next time the frunk is used.

Leaving the key where kids can reach it - looks irresistibly too much like a toy car.

Putting drinks in the cup holder only to have it spill because my winter jacket is catching it as I latch/unlatch my seatbelt. Yes, I have the no eating or drinking in the car rule.

Pahked the cahr in Hahvahd Yahd on Sunday, precision (manual) parking job into a spot on a bend.
My daughter was impressed, 2nd perfect parallel parking of the day, both on a bend.
Almost exited the car while it was still in reverse to the screams of my passengers.

• Funny
Reactions: DDotJ
my idiot moment came while overnighting in nashville, in preparation to give the car to the valet I put the car into valet mode (something that I rarely use). the property only had a 110 outlet for me to plug into and all my wires were in the frunk and when I tried the open the frunk the valet mode disabled access.
I had to call service only for the nice guy ask me did you put it into valet mode, d'oh a homer simpson moment.

Pahked the cahr in Hahvahd Yahd on Sunday, precision (manual) parking job into a spot on a bend.
My daughter was impressed, 2nd perfect parallel parking of the day, both on a bend.
Almost exited the car while it was still in reverse to the screams of my passengers.
The car won't let you do this -- it changes to Park when you open the driver's door.

Reactions: kort677
Gave a female colleague a ride to the train station a few weeks ago. She was real interested in the car's technology and wanted to know specifically how the bluetooth streaming worked (her broken down car is old and doesn't have bluetooth). So I showed her how easy it is to sync up the phone by adding her phone to the screen and start the music playing from her Spotify app.

So we're cruising on a 20 minute drive to the train station when I get the phone ringing sound and instinctively push the button to answer it. I forgot that it was her phone that was the active phone in the system. It was her husband calling. Awkward couple of moments after I said "hello". :oops: