Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I purchase AP thru website, how long will it take to become operational

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought AP last Wednesday. Finally tonight I get home and it says AP trial updating. Was stuck on that screen for over an hour, I gave up and rebooted and then it said AP is ready to use. Nope, no AP option in the setting menu for me!

Honestly feel like just having my credit card company reverse the charges. Paid $2K, don't get any sort of receipt or email confirmation, takes 6 days vs the stated 3, and now I have to deal with customer service because AP isn't showing up. 1st world problems for sure, but come on Tesla, get your act together!

Mine is updating right now but it says autopilot trial. I bought it Friday night.

IMG_20190311_202706393.jpg

I Added full self driving on Thursday and have been making sure to keep the car connected to WiFi whenever possible. As I was sitting in my car in the driveway listening to the radio after driving home from work the screen and radio went blank and the audio made a slight pop. I looked at my phone app and sure enough there was summon. The screen came back after about a minute and I had the Nav on autopilot toggle in the autopilot menu. No notifications at all. Just like with the AP. It just acted like I did a thumb wheel reboot and then there it was. Now to go try Nav on autopilot!

My car is stuck back on that screen again too. How long did it take to get through to someone at Tesla support that could help? Last I called Tesla a few months ago I was never able to get through to anyone.

I put a request through portal and then called. After waiting 1 hour for call back, the agent inadvertently hung up on me and didn't call back. I was on hold again for all almost 1 hour. The agent took my info to send to update team. Apparently allot of cars were affected. They said it will take 2 days. The fix was pushed Sunday late afternoon sometime.

Mine tried to update with the autopilot trial and took forever. chatted with someone and they said if it didnt do anything after a while to reboot it. went to get my son and I's hair cut and came back and it was still on the updating autopilot trial screen so i rebooted it. came back fine but nothing changed in autopilot. go back to check it later and it is trying to update again. i hope its driveable in the morning when i need to go to work and it hasnt done anything.

I put a request through portal and then called. After waiting 1 hour for call back, the agent inadvertently hung up on me and didn't call back. I was on hold again for all almost 1 hour. The agent took my info to send to update team. Apparently allot of cars were affected. They said it will take 2 days. The fix was pushed Sunday late afternoon sometime.

Thanks for the response. Your experience is what I was afraid of and basically matches my experience trying to get help from Tesla :mad:.

Last edited:
Curious if everyone with the stuck autopilot trial screen was doing the same update from the same firmware version? Example: buying just AP or AP+FSD and what firmware version at time of purchase/install. Perhaps there is one toxic combination? Mine worked fine when it finally came but I received the 2019.5.15 firmware shortly before AP and I purchased FSD separately.

Mine tried to update with the autopilot trial and took forever. chatted with someone and they said if it didnt do anything after a while to reboot it. went to get my son and I's hair cut and came back and it was still on the updating autopilot trial screen so i rebooted it. came back fine but nothing changed in autopilot. go back to check it later and it is trying to update again. i hope its driveable in the morning when i need to go to work and it hasnt done anything.

Rebooting and shutdown don't do anything. The message will show up again. After a few reboots mine pretty much stuck and wouldn't go away even with reboots. Car Is drivable, but with stuck message I couldn't access Nav or change music since the right side lower on-screen buttons are non-responsive when the dialog is showing..

Curious if everyone with the stuck autopilot trial screen was doing the same update from the same firmware version? Example: buying just AP or AP+FSD and what firmware version at time of purchase/install. Perhaps there is one toxic combination? Mine worked fine when it finally came but I received the 2019.5.15 firmware shortly before AP and I purchased FSD separately.

I received 2019.5.15 the morning prior to the failed AP update. I bought AP only.

My car is stuck back on that screen again too. How long did it take to get through to someone at Tesla support that could help? Last I called Tesla a few months ago I was never able to get through to anyone.

If you spend a lot of time sitting at a desk in front of a computer during business hours, try Tesla's online chat support. Visit tesla.com/support. If a chat icon doesn't immediately show up at the bottom right side, just leave that page open for a while and keep an eye on it. It will show up when they are not too busy. When you get on chat, it shows your position in the queue and counts down.

It is much better than waiting on the phone if you are able to multi-task on the computer while waiting for chat.

Reactions: CullinKin
I was on 2018.50.6, I returned to my car after work with the AP trial saying it was in progress. I gave it 20 minute but it was already after 6 and I needed to start heading home. I ended up driving it home like that and rebooting. Shortly after arriving home 2019.5.15 asked to install so I let it go. No sign of AP coming back. Hoping for some luck in the morning.

This was a LR AWD, and I purchased AP on Friday evening.

Bought AP last Wednesday. Finally tonight I get home and it says AP trial updating. Was stuck on that screen for over an hour, I gave up and rebooted and then it said AP is ready to use. Nope, no AP option in the setting menu for me!

I had the same thing. Said AP is ready to use last night and this morning I don't see nothing. There is no change in Autopilot settings neither. I did have the 2019.5.15 installed after AP update but I am not sure it's relevant.

Ordered AP last Wednesday, kept on wifi until yesterday morning, no update. On a business trip at the moment, my car in airport parking, it updated to 2019.5.15 through cell connection an hour ago.

Question, is it possible my AP will update through cell connection also? I know it says wifi, but what the heck? I have a pretty weak wifi connection in my home garage, like 1 bar, wondering if that's my issue for not getting the AP update earlier?