Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla offers custom colors, thank me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pezpunk

Aug 12, 2016
Bristow, VA
Hi guys, just took delivery yesterday of my new P100DL (!)

The car was perfect. I'd seen some pictures on here of misaligned trim and paint imperfections, but mine was flawless.

I got to meet Ganesh Srivats, who heads up North American operations. Nice guy. We started talking about the Plum Crazy Purple Dodge Challenger I was trading in, and I told him Tesla really needs more exciting color options. All they offer is red, blue, and a few variations on white, black and grey. boring!

He seemed to agree. He said something along the lines of "hmm, maybe we could offer custom colors on high end models." I told him that sounded like a brilliant idea to me.

sure, he was probably just telling a customer what they wanted to here, but just in case it comes to pass: you're welcome! :)

Hope you're not being sarcastic. He did actually discuss it with the head of NA operations, as opposed to some random forum post. Credit where credit is due.

Got it, but it's not a random discussion with the "head of NA operations" that's gonna change anything. They're way in advance over other manufacturers, don't you think they already thought about it ? If other or custom colors are not avaible yet there's probably a good reason behind it. mainly because anyone can have the color they want by changing it theirselfs for less than 3k, even less if it's wrapped only.

Thank's anyways OP, but I don't think that you changed the world ^^

I just have to reply. Tesla did and does offer custom colors for a steep price, but after some very initial cars (like VIN 29 on left) decided that it was too disruptive to the production line. Now it's very rare, and only for special customers like George RR Martin and Franz.

I just have to reply. Tesla did and does offer custom colors for a steep price, but after some very initial cars (like VIN 29 on left) decided that it was too disruptive to the production line. Now it's very rare, and only for special customers like George RR Martin and Franz.
Funny I was finishing up my post about your car when your reply made it through.

Why not offer custom colors? Porsche and Audi offer it. Mercedes-Benz has Designo colors. Folks are willing to pay extra. If I had a P100D, I'd like it to not look like a 60. I think it's a great idea.

Maybe "exclusive" is a better word than "custom." So they would be standardized to not disrupt the line but only available for P customers. I agree that my "slow" Tesla should not be identical to a P100D. As much as people hate on BMW and Porsche on here at times, they have this nailed. There is no mistaking an M3 with a normal 3 series.

Reactions: Ormond
Awesome! I picked my P100DL up on the 19th.. It's in the shop getting XPEL put on it, and getting Ceramic Pro'ed.

upload.jpg

upload.jpg

I miss it greatly! Hoping to get it back mid week next week.