Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If the Model Y was considered an SUV, would Tesla have dropped the price so much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fail to understand why the MY AWD 5 seater has a 55K limit while a "Volkswagen ID.4 AWD Pro" has its price cap at 80K. To me they are both in the same league.
The VW id4 AWD Pro sneaks by the definition of SUV used to exclude Tesla's Model Y because it has a max gross weight slightly over 6000 pounds. Ford's Mach E exclusion was collateral damage to punishing Tesla for existing.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
The VW id4 AWD Pro sneaks by the definition of SUV used to exclude Tesla's Model Y because it has a max gross weight slightly over 6000 pounds.
No, it doesn’t.

It qualifies because it has 4wd and the necessary ground/axle clearance, departure, and breakover angles to meet the long-standing DOT definition of a SUV.

Model Y fails all of the clearance tests, because anyone with two eyes can see it’s a tall car and not much else.

Mach E fails for all the same reasons, so all the tinfoil hat nonsense about Ford and others manipulating the rules is exactly that - nonsense.

At any rate, glad to see the bill doing what it was intended to do - reducing inflation and forcing automakers to produce reasonably priced electric vehicles.