Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal Tax Credit Rules - Will drive Model Y price down to $54,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not surprised by the prices, but I am totally surprised by how quickly they occurred. Perhaps it is related to the presumed loss of 1/2 of the EV credit come March. Tesla is the only company I know of who has been transparent in informing consumers of this detail. KUDOS TO THEM

I wonder why they keep doing it given the customer revolts after drops. Saturn tried and failed. It's almost that most people would rather have the silly secret price games (I like the games if I win, but house has a big advantage over long term)

Back to topic I'm debating when to act b/f March. More cuts or wait. I'm also debating b/t new Y vs used X

Reactions: ord3r
Back to topic I'm debating when to act b/f March. More cuts or wait. I'm also debating b/t new Y vs used X

I thought about this too, and I think a big part of of the speculation comes down to what Tesla will do if the EV tax credit is halved. Will Tesla make up the difference ? I decided (amongst other considerations) that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so I ordered today to increase my chances of getting delivery before the tax credit changes.

Model S and Model X are outside of the EV credit IIRC, so those are different considerations.

Reactions: BitJam
I thought about this too, and I think a big part of of the speculation comes down to what Tesla will do if the EV tax credit is halved. Will Tesla make up the difference ? I decided (amongst other considerations) that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so I ordered today to increase my chances of getting delivery before the tax credit changes.

Model S and Model X are outside of the EV credit IIRC, so those are different considerations.

'16 Used X is about the same net price as 7 seater Y. I might play the $250 option price with Y. I worry about warranty and TSLA's horrible in house used process.

Now if TSLA would bring our a lower price SR Y like they did with 3 toward credit end. Sold!

Last edited:

Why wouldn't you just get an inventory car?

I looked at the white Model Y. The only cars I saw had 20" wheels and were $990 over the threshold for the EV credit. I'll be *really* surprised if Tesla does not drop the price on those cars to make them EV tax credit eligible.
You looked too late. Last night when prices dropped, there were plenty of cars under $55k. Right now, none. They all have options like extra paint color options, tow hitch etc... which put them above the $55k threshold. Tesla is probably now pivoting to manufacturing cars in configurations under $55k. This was just their existing inventory. Personally I want a base model with just a tow hitch, which should still be under $55k.

I looked at the white Model Y. The only cars I saw had 20" wheels and were $990 over the threshold for the EV credit. I'll be *really* surprised if Tesla does not drop the price on those cars to make them EV tax credit eligible.
You can get a White MYLR Black Interior Induction wheels for $54990. Those ones that are $55990 probably have a tow hitch or white interior added. Keep refreshing the page. Inventory cars update throughout the day.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I'm really surprised at this Tesla must be in a bad situation to make such a dramatic price decrease. They are obviously trying to appeal to the lower price points by making the seven seat option now. $4,000. They also switch back to only giving you white for free. Midnight silver metallic paint is now once again $1,000 extra

Strangely still no 7 seat option on the performance model. So the performance model does not qualify and has no way to qualify for the federal tax credit.

Reactions: Daekwan