Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you can't connect to your car in the app right now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I will be ordering one of those too.

I can highly recommend getting one. Walking back to the car, with loads of shopping, and just having to double click the fob to open either the boot or frunk makes life a lot easier, especially if it's pouring with rain.

I only bought a fob originally because we don't get a 'phone signal here, so neither of our 'phones is normally turned on. Having to turn a 'phone on and wait for it to boot, just to get into the car seemed a bit of a faff. However, when we've been away, where our 'phones have been on, I still find it a lot easier to just use the fob. I'm seriously thinking about decoupling my 'phone from the car, as far as using it as a key is concerned, really just because it's not needed now.

I can highly recommend getting one. Walking back to the car, with loads of shopping, and just having to double click the fob to open either the boot or frunk makes life a lot easier, especially if it's pouring with rain.

I only bought a fob originally because we don't get a 'phone signal here, so neither of our 'phones is normally turned on. Having to turn a 'phone on and wait for it to boot, just to get into the car seemed a bit of a faff. However, when we've been away, where our 'phones have been on, I still find it a lot easier to just use the fob. I'm seriously thinking about decoupling my 'phone from the car, as far as using it as a key is concerned, really just because it's not needed now.
Arn't the fobs standard RF and therefore very vulnerable to rf relay amplification attack? Where as (so far) the phones via BT are not. I think they were the reason PIN to drive was added?

Arn't the fobs standard RF and therefore very vulnerable to rf relay amplification attack? Where as (so far) the phones via BT are not. I think they were the reason PIN to drive was added?

No, apparently not.

The older fobs used by the Model S had this problem, but apparently the Model 3 fob works pretty much the same as a 'phone as far as talking to the car goes. The range at which the fob works (in walk up/walk away mode) is pretty short, the car will lock when I'm just a couple of feet away, maybe a metre at the most. The range at which the fob will work in button mode is at least 20m, maybe a fair bit more.

Siri on Apple Watch works a treat for opening frunk/boot or unlocking charger whilst walking towards car... (via statsapp or a direct API shortcut)

Or swipe right on iOS homescreen to use the Widget button. (Pre-sort the Tesla app to the top of the list)