Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you can't connect to your car in the app right now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're logged into your app, do not logout as you may not be able to login currently and if you're logged out your phone will no longer work as a phone-key to unlock/start a Model 3.

Keep a keycard with you at all times as a backup :)

The phone as key works with the Bluetooth of your phone and doesn't depend on you being logged in on the app.

It works over bluetooth radio, but shirley there's some authentication transmitted.
The phone identifies itself to the car. In the car you can see that the phone has a unique ID. If you needed to deactivate it you would do it from the car.

I should also specify that the walk up unlock will work with the Bluetooth. If you don't have walk up unlock set and always unlock it from the app you are out of luck.

... it's not just you. Seems there's tr
If you're logged into your app, do not logout as you may not be able to login currently and if you're logged out your phone will no longer work as a phone-key to unlock/start a Model 3.

Word Up! I figured that out today. I was locked out but luckily not far from home.

Or get a key fob. I always use the fob, as it is dead simple, allows walk up unlock, and walk away lock, just the same as the 'phone, but is a heck of a lot quicker and simpler for opening the boot or frunk than using the 'phone app.

I happily paid Tesla for a fob as an accessory, on the day I picked my car up, and my only slight annoyance is that it has to be bought as an accessory, rather than coming with the car as standard. At least it's not that expensive, around half the price of spare fobs for other cars.

Reactions: xnetco
TeslaFi logs have quite a few offline and Api errors in their logs.

* Charge contains missing data due to internet loss while charging. Marked data may be inaccurate. *

car went offline 21:36 31/12, back 01:37 01/01.
Api errors (mostly request timeout but some login fails, connection timeouts etc) started sometime between 04:05 and 07:16 this morning. Still ongoing.

Possibly some rushed server reorganisation - may need to wait for DNS changes to propagate through? Putting 2 + 2 together re voice recognition issues.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
07:00, Denver, Colorado, USA.
Neither the Tesla App (“unknown error”) or the Stats App (“can not connect to the server”) will connect to the car for remote commands with the exception of the Tesla App which allows short range commands for unlocking through Bluetooth.
Charging commands and Climate Control have to be done manually from within the car. This is true over WiFi and LTE. All other websites and functions seem to work on my phone with regard to Web Browsing and Email - my guess is it is an issue with connecting to the Tesla server as the Stats App mentioned.
Anyhow, the wife is out driving the car now -
Happy New Year!

Or get a key fob. I always use the fob, as it is dead simple, allows walk up unlock, and walk away lock, just the same as the 'phone, but is a heck of a lot quicker and simpler for opening the boot or frunk than using the 'phone app.

I happily paid Tesla for a fob as an accessory, on the day I picked my car up, and my only slight annoyance is that it has to be bought as an accessory, rather than coming with the car as standard. At least it's not that expensive, around half the price of spare fobs for other cars.

I guess I will be ordering one of those too.