Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you don't pay for Autopilot, do you get *any* safety features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
I own an ancient 2013 Model S that lacks parking sensors let alone anything like Autopilot hardware...

One thing I have always wondered: if one orders a Tesla S or X or 3 today, and does *not* pay for the Autopilot or future full self driving features, do you at least get *any* benefit from all the camera/radar/ultrasonic sensors that Autopilot takes advantage of?

For example:
* blind spot detection
• emergency braking
* detection of the speed limit via the cameras
• etc

At some point we'll be ordering our second Tesla, probably the 3, and I doubt we'll pay for the autopilot software fees. (I know, this is heresy in TMC, so please refrain from a deluge of "disagrees".) But I love the *sensors* and would love to have them *alert* me when something notable is happening in real time. I've just always wondered if any of the sensors are active for non-Autopilot customers.

Autopilot

Standard Safety Features

These active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, have begun rolling out through over-the-air updates

Automatic Emergency Braking
  1. Designed to detect objects that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
Side Collision Warning
  1. Warns the driver of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car
Front Collision Warning
  1. Helps warn of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars
Auto High Beams
  1. Adjusts high/low beams as required

From the current Owner's Manual (page 73):

These safety features are available on all Tesla vehicles equipped with Driver Assistance components:
  • Lane Assist (see Lane Assist on page 91).
  • Collision Avoidance Assist (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 93).
  • Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 97).
  • Auto High Beam (see High Beam Headlights on page 56).
These convenience features, designed to reduce driver workload, are available only if your Tesla vehicle is equipped with the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving Capability packages:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (see TrafficAware Cruise Control on page 75).
  • Autosteer (see Autosteer on page 81).
  • Auto Lane Change (see Auto Lane Change on page 84).
  • Autopark (see Autopark on page 86).