Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So why hundreds of thousands of Tesla buyers are OK paying for features and not getting them except, at best, much much later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 version and I bought it with enhanced autopilot factory installed, in Mar 2023

I expected, if it have enhanced autopilot factory installed, would just work the moment I drive it out off the lot.

How could Tesla say “ pay me 6k for enhanced autopilot that includes autopark” and when I drive it off the lot it does not have it?

I understand the beta features are listed in the contract as “upcoming”, but autopark is listed under “included”?
They get away with that because they do have a disclaimer. Some features are temp unavailable including Summon, etc. it is because of that disclaimer I did not spend the 6000 for AP. O have a 2023MYP

I see. Don’t remember such a note, but I’ll look for it. It should be in all the stuff I signed. The definition of “temporary” matters.

Also in my state in particular if a new car stays in shop for repairs more then 30 days for a manufacturing defect it’s considered a lemon and they have to buy it back.

So if there is no note I take the car to the Tesla shop and wait for them to fix the autopark, if it stays more then 30 days it’s a lemon.
If there is a note that defines temporary as a year then yea, they had some clever lawyers.

So now it’s a matter of finding that note and seeing how explicit was the definition of “temporary”.
It was, dont see it anymore, on the main page when you select the car you want. Perhaps autopark and summon work now that they reintroduced Vision?

Last edited:
Disclaimer or not I'm struggling to understand why Elon Musk can make promises repeatedly and not face significant consequences when he fails to deliver on them. It's frustrating to me that more people are not outraged by this lack of accountability.

In my view, Musk should apologize for every instance in which he has failed to deliver on a promise and make it right in some way. I think it's important to acknowledge the impact of his actions on customers and to show a genuine effort to correct the mistake.

Overall, I'm frustrated by the lack of accountability in Musk's approach and find it hard to comprehend why more people do not share my views on this matter.

It was, dont see it anymore, on the main page when you select the car you want. Perhaps autopark and summon work now that they reintroduced Vision?
The problem lies in the fact that the 2023 contract specifies the inclusion of "autopark," even though currently 99% of 2023 vehicles do not have it due to the absence of USS and the lack of deployment of Tesla vision in the majority of 2023 cars.

The contract does have a small clause indicating that "your autopark is temporarily disabled," but this can be seen as misleading, and it's surprising that more people are not outraged by such practices

Maybe I’m missing something.

Let’s take for example autopark, a feature the contract says firmly “it’s included” and I tested this morning and it’s not there. Note the contract for autopark does not say “upcoming feature”, rather “included”

Copy/paste from the contract:

“Enhanced Autopilot also includes:
-Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch.”
And

“Full Self-Driving Capability also includes:
Upcoming:
-Autosteer on city streets”

Ok, you can make the argument with Autosteer on city streets it’s says “upcoming” and given it does not say when it could be forever.

But, on autopark it says “included”.

How is not that a breach of contract says “it’s there” and it is not?
Only the great Charlatan, Elon, knows…

The problem lies in the fact that the 2023 contract specifies the inclusion of "autopark," even though currently 99% of 2023 vehicles do not have it due to the absence of USS and the lack of deployment of Tesla vision in the majority of 2023 cars.

The contract does have a small clause indicating that "your autopark is temporarily disabled," but this can be seen as misleading, and it's surprising that more people are not outraged by such practices
You got your car a few weeks ago and they are already rolling out the missing features. You are easily outraged.

Overall, I'm frustrated by the lack of accountability in Musk's approach and find it hard to comprehend why more people do not share my views on this matter.
That's because people are different. I'm sure some think like you do, and some don't. Some with more emotion, some with less.

Nothing wrong with any of these. The usual glass half full vs half empty comparison.

Then there's also expectation (as someone (EV Now?) pointed out in this forum). People set different level of expectation. In my case, what he promised for HW3, I declared impossible, but I'd be very happy if he delivers 50% (wild guess obviously) of it during the 6 or so years of ownership of my current car. I knew this before purchasing the car. At 50% level, Model Y + FSD would far outperform anything else available (for my use cases) at this price range.

At least Tesla is actively developing software and updating them. I would be more upset if I purchased something that is bad and has a dead-end. I'll continue to ignore Musk's promised deadlines and enjoy his updates for the next foreseeable future.

You got your car a few weeks ago and they are already rolling out the missing features. You are easily outraged.
I'm hoping that my skepticism will be proven wrong and I won't have to say "I told you so" if two more months go by without autopark working. Or, are you going to say to me, "You've only had the car for three months, why are you so upset?"

I'm curious, in your opinion, how many months of ownership would it be reasonable to feel frustrated about, say, not being able to use the autopark feature? I'm guessing that your answer would be that the question is irrelevant.

Reactions: KJD
I'm hoping that my skepticism will be proven wrong and I won't have to say "I told you so" if two more months go by without autopark working. Or, are you going to say to me, "You've only had the car for three months, why are you so upset?"

I'm curious, in your opinion, how many months of ownership would it be reasonable to feel frustrated about, say, not being able to use the autopark feature? I'm guessing that your answer would be that the question is irrelevant.
Guess it always depends on the concern. If the awaited promise meant your car was bricked and couldn’t be used as transportation or would catch fire I would be upset. In the case of “god for bid” parking your car manually like 90% of traditional drivers while waiting for an auto do it for me not in the least worried about time frame. I would enjoy life, the car, and the journey but that’s just me. Won’t get an I told you so from me as like many others it’s a rarely even used feature and certainly one that I wouldn’t loose sleep over or complain endlessly about.

Reactions: TresLA
Disclaimer or not I'm struggling to understand why Elon Musk can make promises repeatedly and not face significant consequences when he fails to deliver on them. It's frustrating to me that more people are not outraged by this lack of accountability.

In my view, Musk should apologize for every instance in which he has failed to deliver on a promise and make it right in some way. I think it's important to acknowledge the impact of his actions on customers and to show a genuine effort to correct the mistake.

Elon always approaches problems through a first principals, physics-based lens, which works great for some things (i.e. rockets) and is terrible for others. I watch how he talks about Autopilot in interviews and so forth, and I think he really believes that once everything is in "vector space", it's basically just a solved problem, or at least trivialized, like it's just modeling billiard balls from that point on. But really the problem is only just beginning.

Reactions: TresLA and Les Mann
I’m confused on the auto park thing. We have a 2022 Y. We never lost use of our auto park. Was it just certain cars?
For cars sold after they removed the ultrasonic sensors (6-months-ish ago?), autopark is disabled until they are able to offer the feature based on vison only.

In the most recent FSD beta release, they have seemingly enabled auto-park based on vision only. However, this is only if you are on the latest beta (11.3.4, I believe), and that's a relatively small number of people right now.

So I am guessing you have the sensors on your Y (and probably not in the beta either - autopark has been almost non-existent even for beta people with USS)

I can see your concern. BTW My 2023MYP now has vision. Anyhow my bigger concern is that Tesla has pushed the envelope to their advantage. They are getting consumers to accept this new deal of promising future things deciding to add or delete features on a vehicle you already purchased. They also made sure you cant realistically chose not to update. My point is that other car companies will take advantage of the new comsumer and abuse us with promises of even bigger products that will never materialize. As you said we should be outraged but we find excuses for Tesla… for now… because the overall product is better and cheaper compared to same class vehicles.

For the most part seems that Tesla has acted in good faith as pushing the tech envelope is not easy. But Based on prior experience the traditional ICE makers I wwould never trust. Imagine Ford or GM … hey guys were gonna give you levitation soon its a 5000 upgrade. And fountain of youth for another 5k. Fine print: Ford/GM may or may not ever be able to daliver said product. Like with Tesla some will pay for BS

In my end its why I have not paid for the 6000 or 15000 AP upgrades. When they actually deliver the product they charge for then I will pay. And at that time it will be much cheaper as the other car companies will also have it. As its the only way for Full AP to work properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spinkick

Its because he is the only one that can take the USGvt into and from space and deliver their military payloads the best.

Autopark has never been good on a Tesla. There's no reason to believe in the next few months it will be good. Even if you get it, it will seldom work, works too slow, and eventually you will stop using it.

It really sounds like you should sell your Tesla if this is such a big deal.

TBH, I've never been a fan of Ford or Audi's autopark, either. It either takes way too long or is far too limited. I don't believe there is an autopark on the market that is smooth, fast, and make it worth not parking yourself, but most are better than Teslas.