Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So why hundreds of thousands of Tesla buyers are OK paying for features and not getting them except, at best, much much later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of 2023 Model Y two days ago to find out now that Tesla still working on EAP feature for Tesla vision cars. They did not even give a warning in their site while adding this feature and charging 6k. This is not acceptable (At least in USA) and to compensate this, they should give us something free like free super charging till they are ready with this software update. We would not have paid 6k just to wait. Take a note that this is happening form October 2022.

I took delivery of 2023 Model Y two days ago to find out now that Tesla still working on EAP feature for Tesla vision cars. They did not even give a warning in their site while adding this feature and charging 6k. This is not acceptable (At least in USA) and to compensate this, they should give us something free like free super charging till they are ready with this software update. We would not have paid 6k just to wait. Take a note that this is happening form October 2022.

What’s not working.

USS (ultrasonics) hardware was removed not long ago on new cars - maybe a year now perhaps. Tesla had used those for close quarters like a garage or parking spot. They say someday it will be functional again using cameras. Until then it just doesn't work. Most are not fond of buying something broken up front.

FSD is very limited, really only useful on freeways but rven then it requires continuous supervision. FSDb (beta version) is a step in the right direction adding limited city street capability but about as functional as a new teenage driver who didn't read the drivers manual. It does some incredible stuff, no doubt, but requires human intervention often. Plus it's not consistent. Complacency is dangerous.

Complicate that with beta auto wipers, beta auto high beams, and phantom (false) braking whether using FSD, FSDb, just normal driving with TACC (traffic aware cruise control), auto park that won't engage, and a CEO who constantly provides misinformation about the cars current and future capabilities and you have a lot of people justifiably upset as they paid a lot of money for those features. Tesla doesn't tell you up front that the car is crippled.

Nobody knows, especially Elon, if or when these features might work better. That's why I consider it fraudulent activity. The Service Center is unable to assist.

Other than these features it's an incredible vehicle but with an unethical CEO. Even when Elon says something, history sows that 99% of the time it's false. Accurate information is unavailable - the best speculation is on this forum. Just my humble opinion, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
My 2c since I'm one of those who seem satisfied "paying for features and not getting them".

Removing USS was a mistake, IMO. My car has one but based on what I see, I don't know if I would buy one without. Unless Tesla improves the situation by the time I'm ready for a next car. In its current level, it is a deal breaker. Also, absence of top view monitor was a big disappointment. I found other ways to live, but those features are welcome to me anytime.

FSD does require continuous monitoring. It also works far better on highways than cities. But for me, it is on 95% of the time, with less stress than when I'm driving myself. I am fortunate because I live in such city that I can use it more sensibly with lots of highway driving. I much prefer to give 50% attention (monitoring) over driving manually 100% of the time, by a long shot. Yes, it requires a period of learning but I am a living proof that it can be done. But I do admit that if you didn't go through the learning curve, your stress level will be 500% while using FSD. I just don't use it when I feel FSD will fail. I drive more than 50,000km per year now but no longer dread long driving trips. I watched (and still do) a lot of videos of other manufactures' driving assist features and they are not there yet, at least if you want to drive in most roads. But some did implement the system more gracefully. For now, I prefer coverage over gracefulness. And it is theoretically possible for Tesla to implement more graceful solutions in the future on my current hardware. Your mileage may vary.

Auto wiper sucks big time right now. Tesla needs to fix that, period. As for auto high beam, I'm not sure why it's not working for some. It has been working pretty much perfectly for me since they fixed it about a year ago. I don't touch beam settings at all.

Musk promises way too much and too fast. This doesn't jive well for many people, understandably. I now just ignore him and take whatever little cookies/crum he drops on me. For now, I'm going to continue this way happily since I don't see any good alternative cars. My list of requirements was very very long, and Tesla Model Y LR still meets the list better than anything else by a good margin. If FSD wasn't available for Tesla, it would not have been an obvious choice.

It's a process. I think legit level 2 where the car can drive me, but I have to monitor is a worthy 10K upgrade and I've spent that 3x to this point...it's the cost of the red engine accents in a Corvette (maybe carbon fiber? My neighbor said it was about $10k), but at this point if people buy it and think they are getting robotaxi or level 5 anytime soon, it's their fault.
I can understand Level 2 where I monitor over and ready to take over when I see a trouble. But in EAP it is level 0 for 2023 model. Tesla replied that they are yet working on the software for Tesla Vision vehicle and they update once it is available (this is the status for the past one year!!) I should have been warned when I add this option.

I can understand Level 2 where I monitor over and ready to take over when I see a trouble. But in EAP it is level 0 for 2023 model. Tesla replied that they are yet working on the software for Tesla Vision vehicle and they update once it is available (this is the status for the past one year!!) I should have been warned when I add this option.

I feel I have to call you out for that Level 0 remark.

All Teslas have cruise control and lane keeping. They may not work the way you want it to (mine certainly doesn't) but they are both Level 1 systems.

And all EAP cars have auto lane change and Navigate on Autopilot which are certainly L1 and NoA is arguably Level 2 according to the description I looked at. Primitive Level 2 but still more than Level 1. I don't use it because I don't trust it but that doesn't mean I don't have it.

That is not correct. What exact model do you have ? Some small parts of EAP like summon or auto parking was not working. Rest have been working.

All teslas with autopilot are level 2. This has nothing to do with USS sensors.

IMG_7764.jpeg

That is not correct. What exact model do you have ? Some small parts of EAP like summon or auto parking was not working. Rest have been working.
Autopilot is standard is all Tesla Y models now. EAP is the one which costs 6k addition. In the features shown by Tesla, only auto lane change works. That is the REST you are talking. As Autopilot is standard,, out of remaining 4 features, 3 are not working.
1701827116366.png

Attachments

• 1701827116409.png
    1701827116409.png
    23 KB · Views: 13
And NOA. That's 99.99% of it. Summon is fluff. Parking works for me - but haven't used in a couple of years.
This issue is only for 2023 models. In 2023 models onwards, Tesla made it only camera based vision and their software is not ready for the past 1 year for these features to operate Camera Vision. So, if your model is 2021 or early 2022, then it would not have been an issue.

This issue is only for 2023 models. In 2023 models onwards, Tesla made it only camera based vision and their software is not ready for the past 1 year for these features to operate Camera Vision. So, if your model is 2021 or early 2022, then it would not have been an issue.
Yes I get it.

The point I'm trying to make is - for EAP NOA is THE feature. Rest are of miniscule importance.

Just like for FSD, urban driving is THE feature.