Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you had to go back to ICE, what would you choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maserati quattroporte. Just look at Les Intouchables, openings scene. Something sensible, don't care... Sensible cars are not funny anymore after driving a 3.
Sensible cars were never fun.

Like Toyotas/Hondas/etc, they're just point A to B cars.

I currently still own a Chevy SS that I love, but I'd get either a CTS-V, Corvette C7Z, or a truck (probably my next vehicle once I sell the SS.)

upload_2019-10-29_17-17-5.png

Ooooooo. NOooooooooooooooooo.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and Saghost
To my fellow EV converts, if you had to sell your Tesla and buy an ICE vehicle, what would you choose? It's hard for me to imagine going back to ICE, but if I had to, these cars would be at the top of my list:

C8 Corvette
Audi RS5
Lexus LC500

Note: It should be realistic and attainable i.e. not a McLaren

I took my Tesla in for service a few years ago and Enterprise didn't have any EVs to choose from... so I walked...

Is it free? If so probably a C8 or some kinda small/mid sized Audi RS (especially if it's got a free extended warranty)

Because otherwise it'd be my 2008 Lexus IS350, since it was reasonably peppy with good handling, and dead reliable with 0 issues in 11 years of ownership- plus fully paid for.

I know there's newer generations of the IS, but sadly they kept making it worse.

(the fact they, and everyone else, kept not making anything 30-60 grand nicer than my paid for Lexus was why I never replaced it until something that was that much nicer came along- the Tesla model 3.)
I remember when I first started driving was around the time the original IS300 came out. It was one of my favorite cars at the time and I really wanted one. It was the first Lexus to really step outside it's comfort zone design-wise. Although the car was originally a Toyota so not sure if that really counts :D

I'm not too familiar with the 2008 model but saying there was nothing better for 30-60K is quite a bold claim don't you think?

Around here there are plenty (?) of McLarens. My cousin who retired from NASA has one; not sure of the model but it's fairly recent. I might have had one where it not for the wife's stern look when I told her how much my 3 would cost. Nevermind that her Honda Ridgeline AWD was more (after tax breaks and what not).

Oh, and to answer your question... Probably would be back in a Bimmer. X2 or X3.
I should have just said Bugatti :p

Do you hate Corvettes or Corvette owners? I used to have a C6 and it was honestly pretty cool to have other Vette owners wave and acknowledge you.

Just the cars themselves. I can't explain it, I don't like the shape, how they look, everything about them.

Speaking of waving, I've found myself waving in traffic at other Tesla owners. Some of them are surprised at first (especially when I'm in my wife's ICE) but when they see me smiling, they wave back :)

I used to think that too. Then I bought a Tesla.

Yeah, it's less utilitarian for me as well. I'm still not an enthusiast, but I love my Tesla! I love how it feels to drive it! I love that it's so easy to charge. I love listening to music in it. I love making phone calls from it. I love sitting in the back looking up through the roof while my husband drives. I just love this car. I actually clean it every few weeks. I never did that before. And if a bird poops on it... I get that off there pronto! Never bothered with any of my other cars. LOL Love this car.

• Love
Reactions: CharleyBC
I'm not too familiar with the 2008 model but saying there was nothing better for 30-60K is quite a bold claim don't you think?

No, just a factual one.

I went and test drove then-current (~1.5 years ago now) comparable cars...including the then-current IS which was inferior to the one I already had...hell they were still using the same engine they'd been using since ~2005 and just jacking the price up a bunch... and then I checked the relevant competitors from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Infiniti, even Hyundai and Chevy... None of them were really significantly quicker or handled significantly better (some were worse) in that price range than the 2008 Lexus I already had... none got especially better mileage (again some worse)... none has especially greater luxury (some worse)... most had inferior reliability.... some infotainment improvements was about it... hardly worth dropping tens of thousands of dollars on vs. just keeping the Lexus.

The Model 3 on the other hand, apart from being quicker than all of the above, having the full tax credit available, and saving me ~2k a year on not buying gas, had EAP/FSD. Competitors systems (what little there was of them) were crap in comparison...and largely still are.

I drive ~70-80 miles a day, 95% highway. It's the reason I bought the car....it was the first thing I'd found in anything newer than my Lexus that was actually worth paying to get.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm not going for practical with these choices.
1. 2016 BMW i8 ~$52,500 on a sticker price of $160,000.
2. 2007/2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP ~ $9,000 and not dropping. Who doesn't love a car designed by Franz.
3. Jeep Wrangler

Thing about that i8 is, with its supercar looks, its actually pretty slow compared to a model 3p. When I was turning in my wife' leased x5, I was waiting for them to do the lease end inspection, and was in the dealership. I was standing next to an i8 advertisement and was astounded at how "slow" it was compared to the model 3p I had just bought:

==================================================
With a 0-60-mph time of 4.2 seconds the 2016 i8 will impress most critics, but it's not just the numbers but the unrelenting way the i8 delivers its power that is truly breathtaking.

==================================================

Teslas really change your perception on whats "fast" and "slow" comparatively speaking, anyway. The i8 looks awesome, but I certainly would not want to be driving one, and blown away off the line by someone driving their model 3P with (in the words of @Rockster:( " while tooling around carrying five Russian weightlifters and a bag of cement.)

EDIT:

To answer the question, likely an M3, which is what I was going to buy before I test drove the model 3P, which is saving me not only the potential maintenance, but likely 2.5k a year or so just in gas driving it to work and back.