Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you leave your phone inside your car, your car never locks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should get with the program and offer an (optional) alert when you forget your fob/(key)phone in the car like most other cars with keyless entry already do. It's a VERY nice feature/option IMO and has saved me plenty of times.

Tesla might point to their lack of on/off button as an excuse for not having this feature since other cars rely on the car being turned off before the driver exits to know when to sound an alert. But Tesla could easily implement a similar alert by just using the driver's seat occupancy sensor as an indicator instead. (The drawback to this would be an occasional nuisance alert when a driver intends to leave the car running be leaving his fob/phone inside when he leaves. But as long as the alert itself isn't too loud or obnoxious, that seems like a fine trade-off.)

Tesla has had over 5 years to add this common feature to the S/X and thus far hasn't, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. But in the meantime, this will become a much more common problem with Model 3 owners who will routinely take their phones out of their pockets to charge and forget them in the car more frequently than S/X owners do with their fobs.

• Helpful
Reactions: geometro
On the MX if you left your keyfob in the car, and you use the phone's app to remotely lock your car, it will show up on the app that your car is locked. But any one could walk up to your car and pull the handle and it will unlock and open and it could be driven off.

I think it will probably work the same way with M3 with 2 phones.

If you do not want the phone to interact with the car just log out of your my tesla account. If you have a 2nd tesla you can switch to other car account. Kind a pain if your working around your car and you don't want m3 powering on/off.

If you do not want the phone to interact with the car just log out of your my tesla account. If you have a 2nd tesla you can switch to other car account. Kind a pain if your working around your car and you don't want m3 powering on/off.

Just to be clear if for example I go to the beach and want to leave my phone in a locked Tesla 3, I can log out of my Tesla account and the car will lock? I realize I will need to keep the card with me to enter.

Just to be clear if for example I go to the beach and want to leave my phone in a locked Tesla 3, I can log out of my Tesla account and the car will lock? I realize I will need to keep the card with me to enter.

Or turn off Bluetooth on the phone. Easier and faster to disable/enable.

Cool, thanks for the tip

Wait, how do you actually lock the car while leaving the phone inside? Can the card key be used to lock the car too?

Somewhat related: I was sitting in the car the other day and wanted to make a call; I could have chosen to use the phone's speaker explicitly for audio but, chose to turn Bluetooth off to make it all simpler. After the call, I forgot to turn Bluetooth back on and stepped out and walked away from the car, with phone in hand. Came back a couple of hours later only to realize that the car had been sitting there completely unlocked!

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
Wait, how do you actually lock the car while leaving the phone inside? Can the card key be used to lock the car too?

Somewhat related: I was sitting in the car the other day and wanted to make a call; I could have chosen to use the phone's speaker explicitly for audio but, chose to turn Bluetooth off to make it all simpler. After the call, I forgot to turn Bluetooth back on and stepped out and walked away from the car, with phone in hand. Came back a couple of hours later only to realize that the car had been sitting there completely unlocked!
Yes, you would have to use the card to lock the car.

Posit: You’re in the car, turn off Bluetooth. Car will believe you’ve left range and lock the car. You open the door to leave. You have unlocked the car. There is no way for car to understand when to lock it. You need to use the key card.

I believe this may answer both parts? ;)

Reactions: preilly44
I just had the idea that it could be nice if Tesla made a watch app - for the Apple Watch or Android Wear - that would figure out when you were leaving your phone in your car and give you a gentle haptic reminder that you could ignore or respond to, depending on your situation.

• Love
Reactions: Rich966