Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you use the Tesla App to access/drive your X...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No that feature (and a few others) do not work when using the phone & app to drive. While it works, it is a little cumbersome:

You need to first use the phone to end your charging, session, and then unlock the charge door.
Then use the phone to unlock your car doors.
Then use the phone to initiate driving w.out a key, which gives you like 60 seconds to begin your drive (plenty of time).

Don't forget your phone when you exit the car away! I recently locked the phone in my car, needed to borrow an iPad form a local store, load the Tesla App, log i, and then unlock my car (which worked).

It works, but it does not work like the key fob does.

Thx for the feedback!

The app is a nice touch but clearly the key fob seems to be the better overall use. I prefer to not touch the doors if at it all possible.
The app has some nice features for remote access to information. When it comes to unlocking & starting your car, however, the app is best used as a backup option for when your fob is broken, out of juice, or lost.

Does the M3/Y phone app work differently then described here? Different than the X?

With the Model 3 and Y, your phone acts as the actual key using Bluetooth. The app has an additional function "Phone Key" used to set up your phone as a key. The S and X do not have that feature, you must have a FOB with you. You can purchase an optional fob for the 3/Y ($150) but it is not necessary to have one.

With all cars, you can unlock over cellular and drive with no key in the same way. Although it is painful enough most folks do not want to use that feature on a routine basis. Every time you want to drive, you must enter your Tesla account password.

Last edited:
Just curious, any downside to just using your phone full time for everything and just leave the FOB at home?
Slows you down, as it forces you to do more steps. Also, if you need to use the app to send a command when you or the car are in a cell phone dead zone (or if the Tesla server is down), you are out of luck. Other than that, not really. I used my phone for a few days when I lent the car to my son & he didn't return the fob right away.

that was my ultimate point to: why not offer the BT software feature to S/X owners and let them decide.

i would not mind just using my phone too, but if you have to enter a password every time to drive off - i'm not sure i would want that either (ie, without a face ID recognition).

phones have different bluetooth tech that would be hard for the X to know when to open the door for you. the 3 and the Y unlock as soon as it senses you close enough (doesn't have to worry about anything else), so maybe that's as good as it could go for the X. but if you have a good BT antenna on your phone, you wouldn't want the front door to pop open if you're 40 feet away. the fob has a two stage where it will unlock the car as you approach, then open the driver's door if you get closer. You could technically argue that calibrations could be made for each user to make this possible for phones, but power fluctuations could still make BT antenna signal wonky and confuse the car. There's just too many unreliable variables with phones and apps. That's one of the reasons why they more or less abandoned using the phone key as a primary method. i HATED using the phone key when i got my 3. it always had a delay and would not unlock/open door until after I already pressed in the handle. the FOB is still the proven method that works 100% of the time.

phones have different bluetooth tech that would be hard for the X to know when to open the door for you. the 3 and the Y unlock as soon as it senses you close enough (doesn't have to worry about anything else), so maybe that's as good as it could go for the X. but if you have a good BT antenna on your phone, you wouldn't want the front door to pop open if you're 40 feet away. the fob has a two stage where it will unlock the car as you approach, then open the driver's door if you get closer. You could technically argue that calibrations could be made for each user to make this possible for phones, but power fluctuations could still make BT antenna signal wonky and confuse the car. There's just too many unreliable variables with phones and apps. That's one of the reasons why they more or less abandoned using the phone key as a primary method. i HATED using the phone key when i got my 3. it always had a delay and would not unlock/open door until after I already pressed in the handle. the FOB is still the proven method that works 100% of the time.

It also knows your position relative to the car. If you approach from the front, it pops the door, but waits to fully open until you are behind it.

I agree WRT the phone key on the 3. It is about 90% reliable. 10% of the time it might let me in the car but demands the key card to drive. So I have to fish the stupid prox card out of my wallet to drive. Annoying at least. Ended up buying a fob for our M3 ($150).