Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you want AP/FSD covered by your insurance, purchase before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
State Farm asked me the purchase price of my Model 3 when I requested a quote prior to having my VIN. When I bound coverage a couple of days later, I gave them the VIN and my actual rate was identical to the quote. No obviously my purchase price didn't change, so the rate shouldn't have either, but they did ask for the price to provide a quote in advance of knowing the full VIN.

Maybe not entirely equivalent, but thought I would provide another data point.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
State Farm asked me the purchase price of my Model 3 when I requested a quote prior to having my VIN. When I bound coverage a couple of days later, I gave them the VIN and my actual rate was identical to the quote. No obviously my purchase price didn't change, so the rate shouldn't have either, but they did ask for the price to provide a quote in advance of knowing the full VIN.

Maybe not entirely equivalent, but thought I would provide another data point.

Makes me wonder how many other vehicles have relatively pricey options that are not encoded in the VIN. FSD is practically the same price as a trim upgrade on any other vehicle.

I tried telling the rep that adding AP and FSD to an SR+ would increase the value of the car by almost 25%, and I wanted to make sure they were factoring that into any loss calculation.

Makes me wonder how many other vehicles have relatively pricey options that are not encoded in the VIN. FSD is practically the same price as a trim upgrade on any other vehicle.

I tried telling the rep that adding AP and FSD to an SR+ would increase the value of the car by almost 25%, and I wanted to make sure they were factoring that into any loss calculation.
Are AP/EAP/FSD coded to the VIN when the insurer seaches it? I don't know, but I would think they see the purchase price, which should include those.

Just for clarification, I don't have FSD, but if I did, I would have made sure the purchase price I provided them included it.

State Farm requested a copy of my MVPA and temporary registration. I have 30 day grace period coverage - so even buying a new vehicle, I automatically have 30 days to add it, but they were able to generate a temporary binder with just the VIN. Post purchase, I sent the MVPA and registration, and they generated and sent the permanent policy and insurance cards. Easy cheesy.

Glad they have the MVPA on file, so all of
my options are listed. I have a fantastic agent, so no concerns on my part.

Reactions: C141medic
Are AP/EAP/FSD coded to the VIN when the insurer seaches it? I don't know, but I would think they see the purchase price, which should include those.

Just for clarification, I don't have FSD, but if I did, I would have made sure the purchase price I provided them included it.

VIN tells them nothing about price or options other than if the car has 1 or 2 motors (AWD and P are the same)

I would imagine AP and FSD added after the fact would work like any other add on option after the fact in the case of a total. But they are software, so it could be an issue.

When my P85 was totalled I had had Tesla install the center console and LTE after purchase as well as bought and installed 21" wheels. I just provided receipts for all those items to my insurance and they included them in the total appraisal.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Did they ask you what the purchase price was when you bound coverage? They did for me and we did include the cost of EAP at the time. But I suspect that in the event of a total loss you would have to negotiate the issue of the value of AP/EAP/FSD as part of your settlement. It’s a gray area for insurance companies since it’s such a new concept.

I also see this come up when used car companies like Carvana or Carmax get Model 3’s in for sale. They never even mention whether they include AP/EAP/FSD so you have no idea whether their ask price is competitive or not because you have no idea whether the car has any of those features paid for. I don’t think these companies understand any of those things and likely don’t price the cars correctly based on whether the features are included or not.
I recently spoke with my Allstate agent about this and was told that as long as it’s in the MVPA, the vehicle would be replaced with the same “options” (I have replacement value coverage). Customizations would be a different issue. You can purchase additional coverage for those. I have PPF and forgot to ask if that would be covered (probably not though).

I recently spoke with my Allstate agent about this and was told that as long as it’s in the MVPA, the vehicle would be replaced with the same “options” (I have replacement value coverage). Customizations would be a different issue. You can purchase additional coverage for those. I have PPF and forgot to ask if that would be covered (probably not though).

Hm, so where does that leave post-delivery options? I would be happy to pay a few dollars extra in insurance to make sure the cost of post-delivery options were covered...

FYI - some insurance doesn't cover aftermarket options or upgrades. IF your car is stolen from your HOME, home owners/renters usually cover those.

I unfortunately had to do this with my old car. USAA auto wouldn't cover aftermarket parts, but USAA renters did

• Informative
FYI - some insurance doesn't cover aftermarket options or upgrades. IF your car is stolen from your HOME, home owners/renters usually cover those.

I unfortunately had to do this with my old car. USAA auto wouldn't cover aftermarket parts, but USAA renters did

Fascinating. We also have USAA. They've been great to us so far.

This is part of the reason I started this thread. If we had bought the car with AP and FSD, USAA wouldn't be treating them as after-market add-ons. But adding them post delivery means they're not covered in the event of a loss...

But USAA doesn't understand that there's no difference between configuring a new car with the software and adding it over-the-air later. It's not an "aftermarket part," in the slightest, it's a factory installed option.