Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they'll maybe build 100 of them a year, rather than 20,000, because so few people can afford one. You've answered the thread title question. That's good. No arguments there from anybody. And no arguments that the eGT will be a beautiful and amazing car. But some of us are disagreeing when you went on to say that Tesla ought to have built a car they would have sold 100 of, rather than a car they'll sell 20,000 of per year.
we are over here now Which direction should Tesla go as a company?

Forgetting the EV drivetrain (I know), these are luxury 4-door hatchbacks:

Audi A7 Sportback
7426_st0640_037.jpg

BMW 535i GT (550i GT for Model S Performance)
images_82773.jpg

Honda Crosstour
7750_st0640_037.jpg

Porsche Panarama
images_82775.jpg

What's interesting is that the BMW GT and Honda Crosstour are considered failures due to low sales volume.

Attachments

• images_82774.jpg
    images_82774.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 209
The Roadster showed it could be done. Many other small makers have tried a hand at making a run of EVs, Lightening, and Dale's project come to mind. Since the owner of Tesla has 5 kids I believe he's building a big car for his needs. I also find the size just too much. The Furtive-eGT is building on where the Roadster led the way. The X will likely not delay the BluegenIIIstar which will more directly compete (likely with a longer range) with the FeGT if they make it as a viable car company that long.

What's interesting is that the BMW GT and Honda Crosstour are considered failures due to low sales volume.

At least when it comes to the BMW GT there is a shining good reason for this: it's plainly the ugliest BMW ever. No wonder no one is buying them.

It looks like someone took a 7-series, put it in reverse, and crashed it into a brick wall at 50 mph!

There are several cars on my list that I'd consider if I don't move forward with the Model S, but the one that keeps bubbling to the top based on style, performance and at least some attempt at an alternative fuel source is the Infiniti M Hybrid.

It would seem a decent option. If I was inclined to go the ICE route, I'd consider it. I might go for a test drive just to see. I just know I'm terribly dissatisfied with my Lexus hybrid. But it wasn't built for performance, so perhaps this would be different. But I'd still see another Volt, a Ford Focus Elec, or even a Leaf ahead of this on my list since I'm completely spoiled by the feel of the electric drive.

This thread may become relevant for me...

We're looking into buying a plot of land and building the dream house, which would absorb all my money for several years.

It seems that if it won't be the Model X for me, the most attractive option for me is to wait for the Gen III crossover. It should be cheaper and arrive 1-2 years later than the Model X, which will help in scraping together the funds. Nothing is certain though, so I'm keeping my reservation. (There's a critical shortage of plots here, so it's not very easy to actually get one.)

Until I get a Tesla, I'm fairly sure I'll just use my 1998 Honda CR-V.

we plan to build as well a "dream" house...I planned it that way so it comes along with a dream car ;)
That would have been nice, but sadly, it's an either/or situation for me. The alternative is of course to scale back the house, but that doesn't seem like a good way to prioritize. I think the house is more likely to appreciate in value than the car...

Build the house that works for you. The experience of the last decade should have convinced you that "bricks and mortar" isn't quite the safe investment vehicle many had thought it to be. (There are good studies that predate this last housing crash that show homes to be a relatively poor investment, relative to alternative financial investments. This study was in Britain, though, and I don't think it properly reflected tax incentives in the U.S. and other countries.)

To stay OT, if the Model S weren't available, and if my son absconds with my Audi A3, there's a beautiful 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe in midnight blue with Red Fox interior at the dealer on Long Island. Or more practically, the new BMW 3-series drives beautifully. In short, though, there's no EV (other than the Model S) or EREV that pushes my buttons.

Build the house that works for you. The experience of the last decade should have convinced you that "bricks and mortar" isn't quite the safe investment vehicle many had thought it to be. (There are good studies that predate this last housing crash that show homes to be a relatively poor investment, relative to alternative financial investments. This study was in Britain, though, and I don't think it properly reflected tax incentives in the U.S. and other countries.)
Well, I think my home is a safer investement than my car, though. ;)

I'll be driving a different car in 20 years, but if I cover my roof in zinc and my walls in larch, they'll still be going strong.

I'm actually in this boat right now. I need a new car by October. I don't currently have a reservation for anything. The salesman told me it would be at least 12 months for delivery if I reserved one now. So I'm going to test drive a Fisker Karma in a couple of weeks. If the Fisker command center doesn't annoy me as much as some other Fisker owners, I'll buy the Karma. Otherwise I'll get the Porsche Panamera. If that's the case then I won't get an EV for at least another 3 years. I love the Model S, but timing just isn't right for me.

Ocean Archer, you can still ask to be put on the Signature wait list. Looks like there has been some churn there - some wait list folks have been called upon recently some of whom aren't seemingly prepared to actually go for a Sig at that price - and you may get lucky!

Or, even order a Canadian Sig (since that's still open) and import that if that's possible!