Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be buying another Lexus LS, for around the same price. So far, it has been the best car I've ever owned. The fact that the Model S is an EV plays only a very small part in my buying decision. I am buying it because it seems to be an exceptional car, just like my LS 430-UL was. But this one is even quieter... I do wish it had all of the luxury/technology features my LS had...

$4.00 a gallon is obscene. Not to mention prices in Europe.

Quite. If my math is correct, 4 Dollars a gallon (3.785 liters) equates to 1.06 Dollars per liter or 0.86 Euro per liter.
That is (for Germany at the moment) about half the price - today at the gas station, premium unleaded fuel was 1.74 Euro per liter, which would mean roughly 8 Dollars per gallon! (And in many European countries the price is even higher.)

That fact alone makes me wonder even more why electric cars have such a hard time here in Germany.

Last edited:
Which car do you drive now?

Given the price of the Model S I assume that not all future Model S owners are ditching a Prius/Leaf/Volt. I have the impression that I am not the only Petrolhead which is going to be converted. Untill now there has not been an electric car which could lure me out of my Maserati Quattroporte. I briefly considered the Ampera/Volt, but it looks strange and is too slow. Petrolheadedness won.

Then the Model S came. It looks good (though not quite as good as the QP) and is FAST (0-60 even faster then the QP!), handles well (though probably not as good as the QP) and has a good range. Alltogether a very good replacement for the QP.

So. My current car is a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte.

Anyone? Anyone? :)

When I bought my Maserati Quattroporte I knew it would be my last ICE car. I had the Karma in mind as the next car but when I testdrove it I made two things clear to me;
1. I was now absolutely sure I wanted an electric car as my next car
2. the Karma was not going to be it - way too slow - way to small inside - way too heavy - still burdened with an ICE

Hence my decision to wait it out for the Model S. (And wait and wait and wait and wait........;-))

Between my wife and I, we currently have a 2006 Chevy Trail Blazer, a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, and a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT. The Model S is going to replace the Grand Am. The Santa Fe is her daily driver, and the Trail Blazer will be for the days I need to drive outside of the range of the Tesla, need 4wd, or just want a beater SUV that can get muddy or dinged up without tears being shed.

today at the gas station, premium unleaded fuel was 1.74 Euro per liter, which would mean roughly 8 Dollars per gallon!

That fact alone makes me wonder even more why electric cars have such a hard time here in Germany.

Honestly 'real' electric cars are a very new thing. The Nissan leaf, Fisker Karma, renault Fluence are only out for a short while. The Volt/Ampera is pretty new too, the prius plug in not even out... before that there were only cars like TWIKE | Home , and honeslty, no wonder there arn't many people driving around in those.

I have to admit that I was kinda intrigued by the price of the Renault Twizzy. Ture it's not much better than the twike. But for 10'000 $ it's a good price. if that damn thing would have side windows and some heating I might get as a second errmm buggy...

So if I'm not getting the Model S (and only the heave price tag is keeping apart from it) I probably drive my prius to the death. Honestly the new Prius don't offer much new. and even the Plug In one doesn't go nearly far enough (13 miles? why even bother to plug it in). The Ampera is too small to drive around with my mountainbike or surfboard without a roof rack. The other electric cars are just 2nd car. as I live alone I can't justify 2 cars.

I don't know what my next car would be if I weren't getting the S. I've been waiting 2 years since I reserved my S and probably another 6 months before that I had decided the S would be my next car. I haven't even looked at other cars as possible candidates. If for some reason I would not be able to get my S now, I don't know what I would do. Though I'd probably spend a week in bed with Hagen das dealing with the depression caused by the loss of my S. :)

Last edited:
We've been a pure Honda/Acura family since '80, except for the'07 Prius (Insight not up to par).

The S will be an add to my '97 CL (44K Miles), '01 Accord EX (82K Miles), and my wife's '03 Odyssey and '07 Prius.

Tesla will impact the Japaness market, as well as the high end German import market - is exciting to buy American again, and feel fantastic for doing so (last time was a '86 Eurosport for my wife, which lasted less than 2 years - major lemon). Thank goodness for Tesla!!

Third times a charm (I hope). I merged these yesterday. Then thought I must not have completed the merge when I saw them both here this morning. So merged again. Then saw widoh's comment that he'd merged. Bizarre.

What car would you get if not for the Model S is different than what car is the Model S replacing. While they are both a discussion of other cars the topics are different. Is it possible to unmerge them?