Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the Volt makes waiting for the BlueStar acceptable.

As time goes by, more charging opportunities become available, and I am learning how to maximize my EV miles by route planning, charging, and hypermiling. The Volt is filling almost all of my transportation needs without gasoline or the old-time reciprocating piston engine.

GSP

Having the Volt makes waiting for the BlueStar acceptable.

As time goes by, more charging opportunities become available, and I am learning how to maximize my EV miles by route planning, charging, and hypermiling. The Volt is filling almost all of my transportation needs without gasoline or the old-time reciprocating piston engine.

GSP
I suppose for completeness I should have mentioned the Volt. It would have been my first choice (if Model S not an option) if it had 5 seats. But with a family of 5 it's of little more use to me than a motor scooter with just 4. I'm glad to have the added passenger and cargo room of the S as well.

Interesting question. My first inclination is to say I'd go with the Plug-in Prius. I love my Prius, the Plug-in is a logical next step for me even though it doesn't provide anywhere near the electric range I need/want--not even enough to get me to my place of work on pure EV. But, I can plug in at one of my places of work and would be able to make the round trip from home to hospital with a mile or less of total Hybrid driving. At 50mpg that's 50 round trips to work...about 8-9 months worth.
While I don't dispute that what you've described would be the best way to use the PiP, there's no way you'll get 50 mpg when the ICE is running for only a mile at a time. You'd be lucky to get 25 mpg. And if the ICE kicks in half a mile from your destination, you probably won't even get that. Not to mention that the ICE never gets warm, and that's bad for it.

Still, you'd be burning very little gas altogether. Maybe you'd want to monitor engine temp, and force the engine to start soon enough that it heats up fully, if it's going to start at all.

When I bought my Prius, I thought I'd trade it in for the next major model revision. But the 2010 was not enough of an improvement, and with a full-on EV for my daily driving, the PiP makes no sense at all for me.

While I don't dispute that what you've described would be the best way to use the PiP, there's no way you'll get 50 mpg when the ICE is running for only a mile at a time. You'd be lucky to get 25 mpg. And if the ICE kicks in half a mile from your destination, you probably won't even get that. Not to mention that the ICE never gets warm, and that's bad for it.

Man, are internal combustion engines ever finicky! Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore!

Coming from 9 years (at the time; 12 now) of driving electric, electric was really all I considered, although I did consider "range-extended" electrics, and have re-considered them during the 3 years I've been waiting.

LEAF: Not enough range
Volt: Not enough EV-only range
Plug-in Prius: Not enough EV-only range
ActiveE: Maybe enough range, but lease only with no option to buy. No clear path to a successor of similar size/quality.

None. If Model S wasn't coming out it is unlikely that I'd be buying a new car in the next few months.

Same here. I bought a Leaf a year ago and started to hate driving our other ICE car quickly thereafter so I just had to put in a Model S reservation to replace that one too. So this time next year it vill be EV 2-ICE 0 ;)

I think the Leaf+Model S combo is a nice one as the Leaf is an excellent around-town errand car while the S will chew up the highway miles and take loads of luggage.

Cadillac ELR - depending on what range improvements GM makes to the Voltec drive system. On a perfect day, our Volt can get me barely to work before the battery is depleted (40 miles, mostly freeway). I have to use gas on the way home.

I really want to go all-electric if I can.

Mike

I have considered :

1. Chevy Volt - Like the car, just to small for me
2. Honda Crosstour - Really like the car, but it is expensive for what it is, and gets terrible gas mileage.
3. Buick LaCrosse eAssist - Nice car, a strong contender should I not go with a Model S

There are no other pure EV's that have the range I need. The crosstour is very similar to the Model S in form factor, but a the total cost of ownership (vehicle price plus fuel) is much higher than the 40 kWh S, and even more expensive than the 60 kWh (although not by much). If I am going to spend that much on a car, it better be something as cool as the Model S, and the Crosstour just does not do it for me.

Mostly for due diligence, I test drove:

Volt: too cramped with strictly four seats and not enough cargo area... otherwise nice and kind of tempting.
Leaf: too short on range and performance, as well as too small and, let's be honest, a bit too funny looking.

1)Fisker Karma overpriced $90,000 now $103,000 price increased and abysmal quality the car needed a full body rebuild 1/4 inch overlap of panels recessed passenger door 1/8 to 1/4 inch (Now could be called Fire Karma) 2 catastrophic failures in 1,000
2)Mitsubishi i to small I decided
3)Nissan Leaf the dealer did not allow me to drive it he did then asked me how many miles a day I drove? I replied 30 and one day 55 told me "to many miles I don't qualify" Uhhh??? 55 is more than the 100 range in what school! $38,000
4)Toyota Rav4 EV still want to see it but $40,000
5)My decision Tesla Model S $52,500 plus I got a 160 mile range.
The Tesla is only a little more when I look at the prices.

I looked at the Leaf but range and Nissan dealers killed it for me.
I also looked a a new Prius but I really don't like the dealers and I want to get out of the ICE business.

None.
I didn't need a car two years ago when I reserved, and today I still don't NEED a car. If Model S didn't exist, I would not be buying a car for another 3 years at least.
BUT, Model S represents more than just another car. Model S is a beautiful car, but there are lots of beautiful cars.

For 100 years, it's pretty much been gasoline only, for automotive fuel. The first time I pumped gas in my own car it cost $0.50 / gallon (1976). 36 years later, $4.00 a gallon is obscene. Not to mention prices in Europe. It's nice to have some choices for once.

Most fuel efficient cars are small and cramped, with about 125 hp. I can't do that anymore. Model S is a real car. Roomy, fast, technologically advanced, and it makes the statement that the automakers can all do this - if they really want to.

Model S all the way.

Was all set to order another M5, keep the tradition going, but then I got a Volt as a loaner, and it re-stoked the I had when the roadster came out, started researching the Model S. No Model S? Most likely the M5, otherwise, I would have waited for something conceptually like the Model S. I'm beyond growing tired of oil company shenanigans.

Like several others, I would not be getting anything for the next several years. My TSX is at 148K and I was going to keep it until I hit 200K, but like DavidM said - the Model S is more than just a pretty car, it is a statement.