Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes CLS550. I love that the S is electric but that alone isn't enough to make me buy one or I'd have a Leaf. Every time I look at the interior of the CLS (which I think is in a different class than the S) and the sticker price that is literally $30K less, I get a moments hesitation wondering if I'm making the right choice. But I have faith that the overall experience of being a Tesla owner will be more satisfying than the alternative.

NOTHING. This question is simple. Buying a Tesla has never been to fill a need for a car. It has (the past two times and soon a third with the Model S) always been to add a vehicle that is fun to drive and uses no gas.

We would not have bought anything at all.

17 Cars and counting...

I'm with everyone above who has stated they would keep their current rides.
Looking forward to weaning off gasoline, wouldn't consider any other ICE's at present and no other BEV on the market comes close to Model S in terms of style, performance, space.

BMW M5.

I've owned 3 of them, so it has really been a tradition, but the Model S Performance provided a most compelling argument to move into another dream of mine, which is driving electric.

If I knew the Model S was coming in a year or two though, I'd keep my current M5, until the Model S became available.

As it is, I have *already* put the Model S on the back burner. I was able to worm my way into the BMW field trials of the ActiveE, and am currently enjoying the electric life - until April 2014, when I have to return it.

Depending on the mood of my better half, we may get the Model S when my reservation number comes up, which will be Spring-ish of 2013, or we may postphone the build until later ("later" = To-Be-Determined). Currently the Model S is the front runner, slightly ahead of the Model X. Either one is a larger car than I will need to do my commuting, but I do need more than the "up to 100 miles" than the competitors are currently offering. (OKAY! I don't really "need" it, but I do "want" a range of at least 125 miles, so I can screw up one evening and not recharge the car and still get to work and back the following day. Don't ask me about this.) That, and I'm hooked on driving electrically already. You Roadster guys know this and get this.

If I were forced to abandon all my plans for a Model S or X, the list of suitable alternate electric cars is very short. Today, there are only a couple of mainstream possibilities, such as the Nissan LEAF or the Ford Focus Electric. Both have a range of perhaps 50-60% of the Model S' 40 kWh battery pack, so neither are very tempting (to me, anyway).

However, if I could hold off for a couple of more years, there will be several electric cars available. The Model X is certainly in the running here. The 2013 BMW i3 and 2013 Ford Focus Electric are the other possibilities that I am eyeing, as they are proudly projecting a range exceeding 100 miles. If this becomes true, then one of them may become my next (not-so-econobox) commuter.

If I knuckle under and start considering hybrids (and this is a BIG "if"), I would have a considerably larger list, but the waters get a bit muddier as there are cars like the Fisker and Volt - electric with an on-board charger; cars like the Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid - cars with a combo gas/electric powertrain and the methodology as to which one is used is not universal across the board, and limited all-battery range. And a slew of others. One of these may be suitable for replacing our ICE car, as it could be used for our 100 mile+ weekend and vacation trips.

-- Ardie

BMW M5.

I've owned 3 of them, so it has really been a tradition, but the Model S Performance provided a most compelling argument to move into another dream of mine, which is driving electric.

If I knew the Model S was coming in a year or two though, I'd keep my current M5, until the Model S became available.

Going to be very interesting to hear from M5 owners how the Performance Model S compares.

At this point, if I didn't get a Model S I'd wait for a Model X. If no Model X, then I'd probably get an Audi A6 wagon and be miserable. I can't do <100miles range.

I would keep my Audi Allroad until they reintroduce it to North America on the A6 platform ( available in Europe). Audi discontinued importing the Allroad in 2005 and reintroduced it on the A4 platform this year. Unfortunately, it does not come with a heigth adjustable suspension which I couldn't live without and am looking foward to having on my MODEL S.

Going to be very interesting to hear from M5 owners how the Performance Model S compares.

At this point, if I didn't get a Model S I'd wait for a Model X. If no Model X, then I'd probably get an Audi A6 wagon and be miserable. I can't do <100miles range.

I'm anxious to get an opportunity to test drive, although I am not holding my breath that I'd get to drive a performance before ordering. Those with the Audi RS6,Audi S7, MBZ E63, Jag XFR, and BMW M5 will be seriously judging how this car performs as those are the closest in terms of size, weight, and performance.

(I'll time warp back to before I got the Roadster): I'd get a new 911, probably.

Now? I can't go back to an ICE. If, god forbid, my Roadster somehow met an ill fate, I'd bike to work until a suitable EV was made (R3.0, probably, or maybe I'd get my butt in line for the S, or just go for cheap fun when the FitEV came out).