Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm putting in a reservation for the Model 3, which would replace our smart fortwo electric drive. The smart is on a 3 year lease which would expire in October 2017.

What my wife and I are evaluating is whether we'll be able to get a Model X to replace our Honda CRV. Neither of us have ever gotten a car in excess of $20k. Grad school is getting farther away in the rear view mirror for me, and things may line up to make the HUGE jump to the X. The capacity and features are compelling, as is the fact that we'd be able to get it earlier than the Model 3.

We've both driven the Model S - we were able to borrow one for a weekend - and have been obsessed with Tesla ever since. We need more space than the S offers, and neither of us were that happy with getting in and out of the S. The higher ride of the X suits us better. However, any long range EV is better than a short range EV, so we will line up for the Model 3 to at least meet some of our needs.

The long range plan, whichever order it happens in, is to have an all Tesla garage.

I think you take for granted how informed you are on EVs. My wife would not know they even existed were it not for me, let alone the potential benefits.

More importantly, there hasn't been an EV entry in the 35-50k range that compared in performance and looks to an A4, 3 series, IS, or C class. Comparatively all EVs other than Tesla are pretty lame and undesirable if you take out the green aspect. The Bolt will not change that, it's still not going to displace those vehicles. However, the model 3 is going to make an awful lot of waves in the segment.

Yeah, I literally had to explain to every single person about how my Volt worked. Not one of them understood that is was technically a hybrid. Everyone's first question was, "How far can you go on the battery before it dies?" It hurt my brain every time. Not like Chevy went out of their way to explain how it worked or anything either...

Reactions: FalconFour
Well I've been holding off for years in getting a new car since I haven't been inspired by anything until Tesla came out with the Model S. I'm a big tech geek so the features on a Tesla really tug at my tech-filled heart. I've been driving my 2001 Nissan Sentra waiting for the Model 3 to arrive. 2017/2018 can't come soon enough.

I just realized that next year I will of had my Sentra for half my entire life and 80% of my driving life. It'll be wierd to drive something new. A welcome change though for sure.

I'm also coming from a Nissan Sentra ('07 SE-R SpecV, manual 6 speed, 200bhp). Had it since '08 and my first in the USA (British born, moved due to job relocation). Longest car i have owned and it fits me to a 'T', not sure how i am going to feel transitioning to a single gear EV car with no engine noise, no clutch! and no mechanical gear changing!!

Being British I have driven stick shifts all my life, it makes me feel like i am in control of the car but LA is NOT the place to drive one :( and it is sadly on it's way out, so many problems that it will just last until the 3 deliveries (hopefully).

The 3 will be my first EV car, going to try and take a test drive of the S before the reservation date.

I wanted to go from my BMW M3 straight to the Tesla, but the M3 started to need some work that I didn't want to pay for, so we sold it and leased a Nissan Leaf to get into the EV world. We love the Leaf and timed out the lease so that when it's time to turn that in the Model III should be starting delivery. Can't wait, I've been on board with Tesla since the roadster and just needed them to make a car I could afford!

Wait for it.

1995 Honda Del Sol.

I got it really cheap in college, have driven it a ton, and it's super rattly and uncomfortable and old. However, I work remotely for my company so I work from home. Incidentally so does my husband. My car is a backup, he has a BMW 335i (2011, 2012?) that we mostly use. A car isn't terribly pressing for me, but I figure I probably won't work from home forever and I'll need something more than a two seater when we have kids. So waiting a couple years for the car is kind of perfect.

I was a huge Nikola Tesla fan before I even knew who Elon was. I remember dragging my now-husband in a showroom to see the roadster and I idly thought "having one of these Tesla cars would be really cool one day" but it didn't really seem like a possibility. Now it is and it's absolutely worth the wait and uncertainty.

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. Really hard for me to give up a convertible & stick shift, but I think I will love the Tesla 3 with a nice big sunroof. I want a fun electric car with enough range to make cross country drives. Now only if the Tesla 3 had a convertible option.....

I would have been driving an EV for years, if one had been sold at an affordable price with the range I need.... But the Leaf type range is not enough for my driving, and hybrids with small batteries will not use any less gas/pollute less - for my driving needs.

Exactly! And so many of the electric cars are just tiny. Not big enough for a cart load of groceries, luggage, families, etc. Plus I buy a new car & drive it for a really long time before I get another new one. Longevity of a car has a big environmental impact as well. Excited that Tesla's are much simpler with moving parts & maintenance. I expect them to have a longer life span than the typical ICE car which becomes maintenance intensive after 10 yrs no matter the mileage. Hopefully cars will be recycled better and end up in landfills less often.

Reactions: EinSV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Buying out the lease this week. With Nissan giving me $7500 to buy the car it's a no brainer. I would be $1000 short of break even if I leased for another two years until my 3 arrives. By that time I don't care if the Leaf is worth only $1000 I am still good.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS