Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois EV registration proposal to increase fee to $1000/year!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I want to live in a modern society, with good infrastructure, but I don't want to pay for it."
Some people act like the government burns the money it receives in taxes.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving to the Libertarian paradise, where there are no taxes, and everything is run by Objectivist Libertarian principles.

I did.

And having come from California, I know that the claim that there is a connection between paying taxes and the government providing "good infrastructure" is utterly farcical. If you believe that government is an efficient vehicle for spending money, I have a (crumbling, poorly designed) bridge to sell you.

• Love
Reactions: outdoors and SSedan
Sponsored by the automobile dealers association... why is anyone surprised. Can’t compete , buy legislators to hamper competition.. Illinois is unrivaled for Corruption, this should be shocking to no one.

I dunno, Quebec could give them a run for their money on the corruption file. SNC Lavelin, Bombardier, any municipal roadwork, any mayor in the Montreal area.... they've got corruption down.

"I want to live in a modern society, with good infrastructure, but I don't want to pay for it."
Some people act like the government burns the money it receives in taxes.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving to the Libertarian paradise, where there are no taxes, and everything is run by Objectivist Libertarian principles.

Really.....there is a village somewhere looking for you!

For bonus points - Hybrids don't have to pay more. All these Electric miles on these hybrids wouldn't have to pay tax. Just on the Gas they use when not on electric. Hence, some could conceivably drive on all electric daily with a hybrid. Yet pure Electric cars have to pay $84 a month even if they drive 20 miles a month.

BMW i3 REx - 97 miles
Chevy Volt - 53 miles
Honda Clarity - 47 miles
Chrysler Pacifica Minivan - 33 miles

Gas is currently taxed at $.19 per gallon and the proposed rate is $.44 per gallon. 2272 gallons of gas for tax of $1000. 2272 Gallons at 20 miles per gallon is 45,454 miles. Driving 365 days, daily commute of 124 miles. If we assume commute only on weekdays and 90% travel is on daily commute,it is 157 miles every week day. Sandoval must be thinking all EV drivers are travelling salesmen zipping up and down Illinois or S'toon is his analyst.

It would basically be tantamount to banning EVs in the state.

Who is going to pay $1000 a year to register a car. What if you have 2 or 3 EVs ?

Exactly the wrong direction in these times.

What is the name of the legislator who introduced the idea of taxing EVs like this ?
I paid 886 last year in California and just received my registration renewal for this year for 837

Most states I believe just charge a registration fee not a Warren style wealth tax on vehicle value.

Most states there are a few tiers cars pay less than trucks and suvs and commercial trucks pay more.
Yeah I’ve seen posts from people in other states paying over 1k
I’m not anti tax, taxes are necessary but California is straight up jacking a lot of their residents.

Pol: What should the EV tax be?
Aid: About $300 per year
Pol: $300! They'll rip me a new one!
Aid: So propose $1000, then "negotiate" down to $300.
Pol: Genius! They'll be so happy not to pay $1000 they'll beg for $300.
That is the whole intent. There will be a condescending announcement on how we are being done a favor by reducing the registration fee. The whole caring of environment and promoting actions to protect the environment by democrats is just hog wash and a matter of convenience. These actions will impact democrats in Illinois in the 2020 election similar to when Rauner got elected 4 years ago.

Yeah I’ve seen posts from people in other states paying over 1k
I’m not anti tax, taxes are necessary but California is straight up jacking a lot of their residents.

Why should vehicle value be taxed atall after initial sale?
I am in WI and believe this year my registration is jumping from $75 to $200 honestly since I use the roads I would have been ok with $300.

Why should vehicle value be taxed atall after initial sale?
I am in WI and believe this year my registration is jumping from $75 to $200 honestly since I use the roads I would have been ok with $300.
It shouldn’t.
Honestly I feel like the government should change registration fees to a per mile charge like they do with semi trucks.

Our trucks are taxed per mile, we keep a record of every mile traveled through every state and then pay taxes on those miles

I think that’s the most fair way of doing it.

Reactions: mswlogo
FYI my email:

Reply Requested: Sandoval Senate Proposal to Fund Road Infrastructure

To: Martin Sandoval
cc: John Cullerton, JB Pritzger, Mike Madigan

Mr. Sandoval: I'm all for funding infrastructure in Illinois, but I'd like to understand exactly how you came up with the concept of charging $1,000 per year registration for electric vehicles. It is outrageously inequitable. The tax you propose for gas powered vehicles of $0.44 per gallon is use-based. Drivers of gas powered vehicles would pay based upon how much they use the roads. The proposed registration for electric vehicles is fixed and bears no relation to use. And, it is exorbitant. By comparison, a driver of a gas powered vehicle averaging 25 mpg and paying the $0.44 tax would have to drive 56,818 miles per year in order to pay $1,000.

In addition, I thought the Democratic platform throughout the country supported the adoption of sustainable energy and the reduction of emissions. Adoption of this inequitable registration tax would effectively kill sales of electric vehicles within the state of Illinois. Is that what you really want?

Was this proposal written with the assistance of the Automotive Dealers? If not, who drafted it and set this price? If so, I suggest you seek to understand the Automotive Dealers' motives. They have a huge grudge against Tesla, which is by far the market share leader in EVs. This grudge has little to do with EVs, it has to do with Tesla's direct sales approach which distributes direct to customer rather than through dealers.

I'd gladly support an equitable, use-based infrastructure funding bill. Please fix this!

I strongly urge Messrs. Cullerton, Pritzger, and Madigan to oppose this bill until this inequity is addressed.

• Helpful
Reactions: annetoneyo
I paid 886 last year in California and just received my registration renewal for this year for 837
Irrelevant to IL situation.

Different states have different taxation approaches. I currently live and have cars in both CA and IL. And, I've formerly lived in GA. GA had an advalorem tax on cars, boats etc based on value which was not collected via registration. CA has essentially the same thing - a value based tax - which is collected via auto registration. People in CA will pay the tax because it is equitable (in the sense that it is based upon your car's price and a standard depreciation schedule), and it is a familiar part of the State's taxation approach.

Illinois has a flat auto registration fee, which is intended to cover costs of operating vehicle registration, not to fund other activities or collect ad valorem revenue. It has historically been ~$100 per year. So, to inequitably pop it up to $1000 for only one class of vehicle is out of line and alarming.

Irrelevant to IL situation.

Different states have different taxation approaches. I currently live and have cars in both CA and IL. And, I've formerly lived in GA. GA had an advalorem tax on cars, boats etc based on value which was not collected via registration. CA has essentially the same thing - a value based tax - which is collected via auto registration. People in CA will pay the tax because it is equitable (in the sense that it is based upon your car's price and a standard depreciation schedule), and it is a familiar part of the State's taxation approach.

Illinois has a flat auto registration fee, which is intended to cover costs of operating vehicle registration, not to fund other activities or collect ad valorem revenue. It has historically been ~$100 per year. So, to inequitably pop it up to $1000 for only one class of vehicle is out of line and alarming.
I wasn’t replying to the IL situation. I was replying to the person who asked who would pay 1k to register a vehicle.
Letting the poster know there are lots of people who pay 1k or more for registration