Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm a 2%-er! (now how do I join the rest of you?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car 6 weeks ago, roughly. I've never had an update that I'm aware of and I'm at version 2017.34 2448cfc. According to teslafi.com, only 2% of cars are on this version (1.6% with AP1).

I've read that there's no known way to "trigger" an update, so when can I expect to join the other 98%?

Is it possible that since I bought my car 2nd hand that it is somehow not getting updates because it thinks I'm away from my original market or something? In "My Tesla" I have my current address correctly entered, but I noticed the last two times I called Tesla about something, they patched me through to a Montreal service center. The car was initially registered in Montreal but I had it shipped across the country.

I thought you had some issues that needed service center visits? Whenever I'm in for any kind of service, I ask them to "stage" the latest update. Then you can install when you get home. Sometimes they play dumb about there being a newer release available until I quote the latest version showing on ev-fw.com. If you don't have any service issues, maybe take some donuts in the SC and see if they aren't too busy to stage you, especially if you are way behind on a major release that everyone already has. Also, you can contact Tesla to make sure you haven't had a bunch of failed attempts and have been removed from the update list.

Does your car connect to wifi at your house? If it doesn't it will be much less likely to get updates.

I wouldn't worry much about it though, the updates are mostly hype for the out-dated cars. There is very little that is actually useful for the rest of us.

Sometimes there's a software flag somewhere that triggered -- could be something minor, or transitory -- that prevents the firmware from updating. They can clear the flag at the service center, so definitely that's the next step.

I do have an appointment on the 26th to have a bunch of issues looked at. I didn't realize they could "stage the latest update". I'll do that then.
I got my car New on 9/28/2017. It had 2017.36. That day I got an update notice for .38. Then when .40 came out I got that. Then I got .42 shortly after it came out. I have NOT gotten .44 yet. I just took my car in for service today (has some squeaks) and I mentioned the .44 and he said he would "push" it out today. He did not say he would stage it but that could of been what he meant. But, then I remembered a problem with the last 2 updates which gave an error that it did not finish (but which it did). I reported this but got no reply. So, I then sent a TEXT to mention it and below is his reply. So looks like it will be pushed while it is there.

Hello ......, we will definitely push the latest firmware to the vehicle and notify you if anything pops up after it is processed. Thank you.

===========

Lastly, I do disagree with the other post regarding "mostly hype". 2017.42 was a big update for me and many others based on postings. The AP is much better and I like the new features such as "camper mode" since I have a trip planned for over Thanks Giving and plan to sleep in the car. The .44 version has AP improvements based on at least 1 post. If I was not getting updates I would schedule an appointment just to get that resolved. I fully expect these every 2 week updates to continue with rapid improvements over the next few months based on the past 2 - 3 months. Again, I have had 3 updates in the last 5 weeks not counting .44 which I should get today.

Somehow, I've gotten every update within 48 hours of them showing up on TeslaFi to the first car. (Whoopee, all four of them since September, but it's still true.. :D .)

There's some ordering to the pushing, but who knows what it is. If you really haven't gotten a release in months, I'd definitely ask the SC to download the current software. Then you can decide for yourself when to have it actually install (it will probably do it overnight, in any case).

That will also give them a chance to fix what's wrong, if there is an actual reason why you aren't getting releases, like a stuck old one, or something like a sensor that is blocking them (sometimes a hardware issue you can't see does stop them from loading).