Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm a Convert to Departure Time Scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that most of us overestimate the dangers of having the car sit for a while with a high charge level. I'd even go further to predict that by the time our batteries degrade significantly, cars will have such improvements (range > 1,000 miles??) that we'll want a new car anyway.

Having said that, I now get a warm fuzzy feeling car because now that I've changed to departure time scheduling, the car sits at a lower SOC most of the night.

My off-peak time is midnight to 3 PM, and I used to set scheduled charging for 12:15 AM. Now, I set scheduled departure for 7:30 AM and have end of the off-peak time set around then also. Since I charge at 24 MPH and to 250 miles, the only problem would occur if the car had less than 70 miles in the tank when I plugged it in. That is, it would have to charge for more than 7.5 hours and therefore do some charging before midnight. We rarely get it down so low, and I'm figuring that if so, I'll remember to adjust things so that it doesn't start charging before midnight.

I haven't had any issues with the car charging as soon as I plug it in.

So: I'm a convert.

When did this change to 'departure time'? For the last month (june), my wife had to go back into the office. So now she plugs it in, and I don't see what the screen says. But I plugged it in today at 6p - and it started charging right away. I guess I need to set it for 7am finish time, from 11pm start time. I only charge to 60% during the week, unless we need to drive further. But the old system was much better, for us low-chargers.

Just be aware that if you have scheduled departure enabled with the ‘off peak hours’ set it won’t use any power from the wall outside the off peak hours. Not a big deal but just FYI in case you have the car plugged in and expecting it to use the power from the wall to run the A/C for cabin overheat protection or if manually enabled before setting off on a journey

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl
We rarely get it down so low, and I'm figuring that if so, I'll remember to adjust things so that it doesn't start charging before midnight.
The other day I failed to remember, and it started charging at 11 PM (an hour at .44/kWh).

If I were designing it, I'd let the user enter start and stop times for the off-peak hours, and when appropriate, a warning would appear: "With your current settings, charging will start before your off-peak time." OSLT.

Reactions: kpgrizz and Jejunjm