Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm confused - A few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took delivery of a new Model Y on 11/17 and on 12/1 subscribed to FSD for a month. I immediately got access to NoA, Stop Sign and Traffic Control, Summon, etc. I thought this meant that I had the FSD Beta but was surprised as I never saw the Safety Score in my Android App the way that others described. I assumed it was because I subscribed or it was a new car.

I was watching some YouTube videos and I now see that there should be a separate FSD Beta toggle which I don't have so I realize I clearly don't have the new FSD Beta. The strange thing is that I still don't have the Safety Score in my app.

Is this because I've only done the monthly subscription? I'm pretty sure my versions are late enough (FW 2021.35.102.1 for the car and Android App version 4.3.1-777). I've been very unimpressed with the features that the subscription added but it is kind of pointless if I'm not getting to see the true FSD Beta. I realize you need to prove your safety score but it is kind of hard when I can't even get it in my app.

If anybody knows what is going on here please let me know. Thanks!

Factory firmware is a much older and more stable build than the latest public production firmware on other cars. You'd need to wait a few weeks to a month after delivery before your car will be updated to the latest production build and have the FSD-Beta opt-in button. Only then can you start playing the safety score game and get inducted into the FSD-beta program assuming you score sufficiently high enough over 100+ miles.

Edit: Newest non-FSD Beta firmware is 2021.40.6.

Edit2: Once you are inducted into the FSD Beta program your car will get another update with the FSD-beta branch of the firmware that's different than the normal production build (currently 2021.36.8.9 [FSD 10.6]). This branch is lagging the newest production build a bit as it does not have the waypoints and Tidal updates yet.

The FSD software package gets you all the production capabilities that you listed. The private "FSD Beta" is opt-in as mentioned above. I don't know if it's still the case, but I had to manually request opt-in via email with my vin. Once you receive the forked software branched for the closed FSD Beta program with the opt-in toggle, you can request access and you will see the Safety Score feature in the Tesla phone app (you may need to force close app and re-open to see the scoring feature).

With that said, I'd recommend you get familiar with the production NOA/AP and lane changing first. The FSD Beta program is really an Alpha program and is work to pay attention and take over at any moment.

Reactions: edseloh
The strange thing is that I still don't have the Safety Score in my app.

Is this because I've only done the monthly subscription?

Other people with subscription “FSD capability” (vs purchasing up front) have also received “FSD beta” after jumping through the hoops. (See FSD Beta - Participants and Rollout Status - Google Drive. There’s a column showing whether the FSD beta recipient purchased or subscribed to FSD Capability.)

Please keep in mind FSD beta isn’t for everyone and requires more attentiveness (and mental strain) than production “Autopilot” (AP) and “Navigate on Autopilot” (NoAP). It’s a limited early release, not for public consumption. This is why a small number of cars have it (maybe around 20k total out of 2 million+?).

Read through this as well to get an idea of how your driving habits will need to change if you want to attempt getting FSD beta: Safety Score Beta

To start jumping through the hoops (Safety Score beta), you may need to push “the button” on the in-car menu => Autopilot screen and accept the terms before you start seeing Safety Score show up in your app:

3F94F792-86D2-4EDC-BF7F-6064524F72B5.jpeg

0E21C6F0-D048-4D09-B204-8D9CC2AA71D8.jpeg

Last edited: