Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm getting the runaround trying to schedule service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really. Mobile service being available as an option depends on the category and on whether mobile service has appointments available in your area in the near future. For appointments, I think the cut-off is currently 3 weeks, but it has varied in the past. For categories, at least for me, the app will not suggest mobile service for some (Wheel and Tires is one example) while it will for others. Up until a few days ago the app also gave me a choice of mobile service vs. several service centers. However, it seems that they changed the process and now if mobile service is available, it takes me straight to scheduling, without the option of picking an SC.

Instead of relying on an interpretation from BusinessInsider - a publication with an exceptionally mixed track record - I would recommend going to the source: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Bloomberg’s report is actually surprisingly positive in some aspects and shows that Tesla is working on the state of the service network but the work is far from over.
Because it's behind a paywall for most, I have it on my phone and Bloomberg pulls no punches esp. when it comes to Part 2 on customer service. Regardless, the common theme is that with the introduction of the Model 3, service has suffered because of sheer volume and it doesn't appear that they are putting additional resources like additional service centers into place to address that. With the Y coming next Summer it may only get worse IMHO.

Because it's behind a paywall for most, I have it on my phone and Bloomberg pulls no punches esp. when it comes to Part 2 on customer service. Regardless, the common theme is that with the introduction of the Model 3, service has suffered because of sheer volume and it doesn't appear that they are putting additional resources like additional service centers into place to address that. With the Y coming next Summer it may only get worse IMHO.
I didn't realize they have a paywall, thanks for pointing this out. Still, BI is probably not the best source given the tabloid-level quality of their coverage of, well, everything. I'll quote the portion of the report that I think is relevant here:

The service snafus weighed on Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk. “When I think about what my priorities are this quarter,” he said in January 2019, “it’s improving service in North America. That’s No. 1.”

It remains an unfinished mission, according to Bloomberg’s new survey of nearly 5,000 Model 3 owners. A quarter of owners still endured waits of 10 days or more for a service appointment in the third quarter of this year, and dissatisfaction with initial service visits climbed to a new high. At the same time, Tesla corrected some of its biggest service complaints: wait times for parts improved dramatically, and manufacturing refinements reduced the number of things that need fixing in the first place.

When the Model 3 first arrived, Tesla struggled to manufacture the cars fast enough. Overcoming those bottlenecks sent thousands of cars out of the factory with defects, a topic explored in the first chapter of Bloomberg’s survey on improved manufacturing quality. As a consequence, Tesla’s uniquely self-managed service network was unprepared for the volume of repairs needed. This is the story of Tesla—struggle to make the impossible work, and in doing so reveal the next weakness in an untested system. Fix and repeat.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Great news! Something worked. Someone suggested emailing them at Tucson_service@Tesla. I did that as well as change the service location address to the service center and request the Tucson center in the notes. Today I got a text saying they moved my appointment to the Tucson center. The app says it's a mobile service at the service center address so we will see how that goes. But I no longer an being told to drive to Tempe. Thank you everyone for the help.

Reactions: ilyak and vickh