Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm tired of all the complaining...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple's slide into oblivion under Tim Cook...
Amusing perspective. See The World's Largest Tech Companies 2016: Apple Bests Samsung, Microsoft And Alphabet

Quote: "When in April Apple AAPL +0.26% announced the first ever decline in iPhone sales, some observers questioned if the company's best days are behind it. Despite the angst, Tim Cook's Apple continues to outshine its peers in every metric that counts. Among global tech companies it has the highest revenue ($233 billion), profit ($53 billion), assets ($239 billion) and market cap ($586 billion) for the past year. These results make Apple not only the biggest tech company in the world, but also bumps it to the 8th largest company in the world- -marking a return to the global top ten--and 4th largest in the U.S. on the 2016 Forbes Global 2000."

It seems your definitition of "oblivion" differs from mine, which is "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". Perhaps the meaning you intended was "no longer significant", but as Apple's financial status makes clear, Apple is quite a significant presence and "continues to outshine its peers in every metric that counts".

Last edited:
It seems your definitition of "oblivion" differs from mine, which is "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". Perhaps the meaning you intended was "no longer significant", but as Apple's financial status makes clear, Apple is quite a significant presence and "continues to outshine its peers in every metric that counts".

No, my definition isn't different. Apple has lost touch with the people who supported it through the years.

The state of the Mac is horrible: iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy The Mac lineup has been neglected to the point where 4 out of 6 models receive a "Don't Buy" label, and another receives a "Caution" label. The sole "Buy Now" model happens to be the recently refreshed Macbook Pro, which has taken a beating by the press, by people who use their Macs for media work, and by Consumer Reports:

The new MacBook Pro has been absolutely savaged by people on MacRumors for among other things: Max 16GB of RAM, when many developers and content creators wanted at an option for at least 32GB, deletion of Magsafe power connector, deletion of all ports except USB Type C, and a lone headphone jack, which means many people need a tangle of dongles/adapters (and pretty damning is the inability connect an iPhone 7 via wire without an adapter... also the iPhone 7 and MacBook Pro cannot easily share headphones, as one has no headphone jack and the other does).

How Apple Alienated Mac Loyalists

2016 MacBook Pro Denied Recommendation From Consumer Reports Due to Battery Life Inconsistencies

Basically, Apple has failed to make a device that is optimal for their Pro customers. They are out of touch. This obsession with anorexic thinness in their devices over seemingly everything else proves they are unaware of what their customers need.

Yes, Apple is doing fine financially. But their recent cluelessness and lack of direction is going to bite them in the ass eventually. The reason they continue to do well on the success of iPhone is because Google's strategy with Android has made the Android platform as a whole an utter dumpster fire of a mess where security and updates are concerned.

I for one would never count on staying on top simply because the competition has shot themselves in the foot multiple times.

For real, most Android handsets are trash that will be abandoned by their manufacturers and the wireless carriers, leaving them open to malware and hacks.

Or one could have bought a nice Samsung Galaxy Note 7, which not only burns a hole in your pocket but lights you on fire as well. But how long can Apple count on bumbling opponents?

I can complain endlessly :D

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Or, it's just the typical loss of enthusiasm from an obsessed fan base. I don't spend time on MacRumors and I'm satisfied with my Apple devices. The new MacBook Pro certainly isn't going to replace my 2013 one, but I'm ready for a standard MacBook form factor anyway. I'm jealous of my wife's thin notebook.

This is what's happening on TMC and hundreds of other fan groups for newish companies or music bands or whatever. How many times have people been extremely enthusiastic about a band only to decide later, once they achieved fame and popularity, that the band sold out?

Paraphrasing something I once heard about wine: A great brand starts in the hands of the few, and dies on the shelves of Target.

Reactions: tomas and Canuck
frabz-i-dont-always-complain-but-when-i-do-i-make-sure-its-about-somet-13d3c3.jpg

Or, it's just the typical loss of enthusiasm from an obsessed fan base. I don't spend time on MacRumors and I'm satisfied with my Apple devices. The new MacBook Pro certainly isn't going to replace my 2013 one, but I'm ready for a standard MacBook form factor anyway. I'm jealous of my wife's thin notebook.

This is what's happening on TMC and hundreds of other fan groups for newish companies or music bands or whatever. How many times have people been extremely enthusiastic about a band only to decide later, once they achieved fame and popularity, that the band sold out?

Paraphrasing something I once heard about wine: A great brand starts in the hands of the few, and dies on the shelves of Target.

People who use their notebooks for ordinary tasks, like shopping, writing, or posting on TMC would probably do just fine with any model of MacBook.

The problem with the new MacBook Pro is double: (1) The "obsessed fan base" has people who are doing things like editing lots of 4k video, or developing complicated software, or running multiple virtual machines. These new Macs aren't substantially better than what they replaced, and they remove many ports that people need. (2) The price is "Pro", but the features are not. I remember reading articles said in aggregate that if Apple had replaced the MacBook Air with these new Macs and priced them $300 lower, nobody would have complained. Tim Cook deserves a lot of credit for managing Apple's operations and supply chain. But he's not a product guy. Without a visionary like Jobs to push the products in the right direction, the company has lost focus and Jony Ive and friends have run amok.

With regards to TMC, I'm not sure that Tesla can ever really "sell out", unless they suddenly decide 30 years in the future to start making internal combustion engines:D But yeah, I agree that as the fan base at TMC has moved from a small number of EV enthusiasts and hackers, to general car enthusiasts like me, and now towards the general public with Model 3, there's going to be a lot more complaining and angst. I expect the number of complaints on this board to skyrocket once Model 3 goes into mass production. This happens to every carmaker. I have read complaints on Honda and Toyota cars that would make people think that these companies had reverted to the worst practices of 1970's Detroit automakers:D