Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of Model S Redesign on Resale Values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering when do we start to see downward pressure on current used Model S prices once the redesign cars start showing up. I am expecting at least a $5k immediate hit on current used car values. And with more used cars coming on the market later this year due to heavy leases in 2017-2018 timeframe, that is bound to increase the supply of used cars.

What are you folks thinking?

No-one really knows what the new car is just yet, when it hits the road the tests will tell how good it is in the real life. There are rumors that the battery is actually a bit smaller and it's also somewhat more expensive, so it's really not said that this affects much. As for the silence / comfort of the cabin, we just don't know.

On the other hand, it might just as well charge at 250kW with flat charging curve and be super silent. Then we'd definitely see a hit.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Price depends on demand and supply. Tesla will be ramping up the new production for estimated 12 months (that's when people expect the quality be suitable for mass market), which means that the used ones will be in high demand until you can effortlessly buy a new one and without hassles quirks or delays. Furthermore, they increased the price (it will also come down once competitors arrive within 12 months). So I'd say that if you are selling an old one in the interim, you should be able to get a good price.

Yeah - I was kind of hoping the refresh would hit resale values some. Thinking of getting a 1 year old LR+ for a good price. But, I think there are enough uncertainties and such a large price increase, that I am not expecting a resale drop at all - and I think 12 months is a good guess.
As far as quiet - no insulated glass mentioned. To me, that is probably necessary. I guess we shall see how the active noise cancellation works....

Reactions: msm859
Yeah - I was kind of hoping the refresh would hit resale values some. Thinking of getting a 1 year old LR+ for a good price. But, I think there are enough uncertainties and such a large price increase, that I am not expecting a resale drop at all - and I think 12 months is a good guess.
As far as quiet - no insulated glass mentioned. To me, that is probably necessary. I guess we shall see how the active noise cancellation works....

I was thinking there is so much negative opinion on the new design that it may increase the resale value of the Raven 2020 Model S. People waiting for the new Model S may not like some of the new changes, such as no stalks, no gear shift stalk, horizontal screen pushing stuff farther away from the driver's eyes, Others will want the better features like rear seat features,

Reactions: msm859