Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Regen Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: SSedan
Tesla improves regenerative braking on Model 3 through over-the-air software update

Should this increase the maximum miles from the 310 battery? How does one get the most out of regen, decelerate early?

Quite the opposite. The stronger regen will allow you to in theory stop later and still regen as if you had started slowing earlier when it did not allow such a high regen. It will not however really increase your range unless you were previously poor at slowing almost exclusively with regen. Highway driving of course it will have essentially zero impact.

The more that you use regen, the worse mileage that you will get. Regen is better than braking, but transfering energy from the battery to the kinetic energy of the car, and then trying to recover that energy through regen is a very lossy process.

Now if you are doing a lot of hard braking, improved regen might recover a bit more energy and give you a bit more mileage. But I wouldn’t expect a huge improvement.

Reactions: Zoomit
It would all depend on the type of driving you are doing. It definitely won't hurt efficiency, but if you're mostly doing long-distance highway cruising, it won't make much difference.

Makes sense... but occurred to me now, I see considerable variability in efficiency when going 75. This might be mostly be due to wind, but another contributor could be elevation change. Not necessarily something you’d notice as a meaningful change in elevation between the start & end point... but many small rises and falls over 100s of miles of driving with minimal net change in elevation. I think this is why on one 100 mile stretch of highway I’ve driven several times I get about 300 wh/mile, while another big leg I’ve done quite a few times I get about 250 (same climate control etc).

I get that for much highway cruising, roads might be quite flat. However, it would be a nice plus if it turns out the cruising where I’ve had the most noticeable drop in range gets some help with stronger regen.

Makes sense... but occurred to me now, I see considerable variability in efficiency when going 75. This might be mostly be due to wind, but another contributor could be elevation change. Not necessarily something you’d notice as a meaningful change in elevation between the start & end point... but many small rises and falls over 100s of miles of driving with minimal net change in elevation. I think this is why on one 100 mile stretch of highway I’ve driven several times I get about 300 wh/mile, while another big leg I’ve done quite a few times I get about 250 (same climate control etc).

I get that for much highway cruising, roads might be quite flat. However, it would be a nice plus if it turns out the cruising where I’ve had the most noticeable drop in range gets some help with stronger regen.
Wouldn't cruising with stronger regen make things worse?

Regen adds efficiency when you have to stop, but it is not as efficient as coasting in neutral to slow a just a little. the less regen and braking you have to use on your commute the more efficient you will be. Of course regen is always better than using the brakes alone. Of course it's not practical to cruise down a hill at 90mph either hah.

Wouldn't cruising with stronger regen make things worse?

Regen adds efficiency when you have to stop, but it is not as efficient as coasting in neutral to slow a just a little. the less regen and braking you have to use on your commute the more efficient you will be. Of course regen is always better than using the brakes alone. Of course it's not practical to cruise down a hill at 90mph either hah.

Can only speak for myself, but, during the long distance highway cruising I use AP most of the time, so, with ACC running, neutral doesn't enter the equation for me. So, will be interesting to see if stronger regen that's on the way adds up to anything meaningful in improved efficiency on hilly stretches like I described.

I can give neutral on hills a try as well (don't even know how to do that yet).

Stronger regrn would only be more efficient if you are otherwise forced to use friction brakes. For typical cruising, stronger regen would have no effect. For driving with frequent stops, again where the friction brake would otherwise be used, then the stronger regen will likely yield a very minor improvement.