Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved side camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got updated to 2023.32.1

Wife swears that the side cameras (the ones that come on with blinkers) looks better than before.

I don't see anything, though my old eyes are not as good.

Anyone notice this?
I didn't see anything in the Notes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianbcc and KenC
I got 2023.32.4 yesterday on my '23 Model 3. While the overall color of the side cameras is better, the occasionally have a very noticeable purple tint when using the blinker. It's hard to replicate, but happens regularly.

The light bleed when indicators flash is a well known issue which can only be cured by the newer design cameras. The colour response may be different but I suspect it's just the same cause as before.

The light bleed when indicators flash is a well known issue which can only be cured by the newer design cameras. The colour response may be different but I suspect it's just the same cause as before.

No one is talking about the 'light bleed issue' on this thread. Just the purple tint. Which got bad with 32.4 and is not better with 32.6 that I got yesterday.

No one is talking about the 'light bleed issue' on this thread. Just the purple tint. Which got bad with 32.4 and is not better with 32.6 that I got yesterday.
The light bleed issue caused a magenta cast/tint on older versions when using the blinkers, and I think his point is that may be the same cause (just the colors looks different due to a different color balance).

It could also be Tesla doing a manual correction, but applying it unnecessarily to cameras that had the hardware light bleed fix already. At any rate, this seems very related to the light bleed issue if the tint occurs when blinkers are in use.

Reactions: Adopado
The light bleed issue caused a magenta cast/tint on older versions when using the blinkers, and I think his point is that may be the same cause (just the colors looks different due to a different color balance).

It could also be Tesla doing a manual correction, but applying it unnecessarily to cameras that had the hardware light bleed fix already. At any rate, this seems very related to the light bleed issue if the tint occurs when blinkers are in use.
The purple tint is not related to the actual light output of the blinker. Sometimes it looks fine for 20 seconds, other times it's immediately purple and stays that way.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
The purple tint is not related to the actual light output of the blinker. Sometimes it looks fine for 20 seconds, other times it's immediately purple and stays that way.
Use the camera icon to turn on the rear camera, and swipe up to show the side cameras. You can drive around and see if the purple tint only occurs when the blinker is applied. If it happens permanently, then it's not the blinker. If it only happens only when blinker is activated, it very well may be.

I personally drive with this screen up all the time, so I didn't consider the case where you only see the side screen when activating the blinker.

You can also review your dashcam footage although that doesn't tell you when you activated the blinker.

Last edited:

It's the sun glare. I just had it happen to mine today. I had a purple blotch on the lower part of the picture. Then tried the other blinker and seen it on that camera also. Whatever they changed makes sun glare purple now instead of orange. It's a little strange looking. It goes away in the shade for me or if the sun is not behind me.

Still looks better than before. The bit rate is a little low though and when in motion with trees you see artifacts.

She is right 32.6 cleaned up the cameras, they look way better then before, but the crop did not work on mine as you can still see the back of the car.
The rear view camera crop part has HW4 marked so perhaps it only applies to those cars. Is your car HW4?
2023.32.100 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates
Tesla Improves Reverse Camera View in Update 2023.32

Here's the FOV comparison from that article:
backup-camera.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Wennfred