Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Car Dashcam viewer coming soon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently that is sort of coming for when reversing.

Not sure about its use when driving though as I personally would find looking down at screen when overtaking an unhelpful distraction - prefer to keep my eyes looking out through the windows.

I also read something about rear camera active when opening the door ~(so see cyclists etc) but can't remember if that was a wish list item or a forthcoming feature.

Does it automatically overwrite the oldest recordings first then the disk gets full?

"Dashcam" doesn't seem to carry on filling the disk. I'm not sure how it decides how much to keep but it's not that much, so if you don't remember to push the icon (or beep the horn) it won't necessarily have stored what you want. "Sentry mode" is different in that it will, I think, fill the disk and then start writing over the oldest recordings.

I understand that after a fairly recent sentry change (late 2019) that it maintains a significant amount of free space to prevent the drive slowing down during write as it become fuller - I heard keeping more than 30% free space helps matters, ie not using more than 70% capacity. This seemed to be one of the factors in the 'drive not fast enough' errors.

Not sure if any maintenance is done on dashcam saved clips in a similar way.

Reactions: Chalks99
Thanks thats helpful. About to order a 128GB drive. So you format, plug in, press the dashcam icon and it will record. How do you then save the clips at the end of the drive?

If you have an incident whilst driving you have to save the clip by pressing the Dashcam icon at the top of the screen. If you don't do this there is no guarantee you will have the files you want even though it is recording all the time. (There are some "recent clips" but you have no control over what it keeps there)
You don't need a large capacity for the Dashcam function but you do benefit from a large drive if you put the car in Sentry Mode. This uses the cameras to monitor the outside whilst the car is parked and will make saved recordings whenever it is triggered.

Make sure you format it as FAT32 too. I formatted mine as exFAT, after being led to believe recent software updates supported it, but the car didn't see it and wouldn't write anything to it. As soon as I reformatted it to FAT32 it sprung to life.

Make sure you format it as FAT32 too. I formatted mine as exFAT, after being led to believe recent software updates supported it, but the car didn't see it and wouldn't write anything to it. As soon as I reformatted it to FAT32 it sprung to life.
I think that may have been my fault.

Interrogation in the source of an upcoming release noted support for exFat.

Seems it didn't make the cut and I'd assumed that the newer releases hitting the US included it.

Edit: Apparently it was included in 2020.8 but was causing drives formatted in exFat to crash, was then reverted in one of the many 2020.8 revisions

Problems with DashCam: New Features Not Working : TeslaLounge

Received the update last night.
I'm just going to say HAL 9001 will be missed. RIP my friend.
9001.JPG

I managed to crash the screen causing a spontaneous reboot this morning while using the new dash cam viewer

also noticed that it organised the files into 10min blocks and if one of the files it includes in that is empty/corrupt it doesn’t play any which come after it within the 10min

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch