Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In case I've forgotten something about physics (thruster question)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZoomsansVroom

Supporting Member
May 3, 2019
Eletrek had some crazy statement about the thrusters on the Roadster letting it "hover"

A) No idea why a car would ever need upforce, so bit odd...
B) Its still F=ma, right? So, even at hundreds of miles per hour - say even a a thousand miles per hour, we'd still be talking about hundreds of pounds of compressed gas being vented, correct?
C) Anyone remember enough about orifices and pressures, to figure what's the lightest poundage of compressed gas that could meaningfully improve 0-60 times?

Reactions: APotatoGod
A) No idea why a car would ever need upforce, so bit odd...
My interpretation was that the thrusters need to be adjustable (i.e. not fixed position) and that the range of rotation includes (nearly?) straight down as well as (nearly?) straight up. Straight down allows for hovering. In other words, it's a parlor trick allowed by the design rather than a design criteria.

Really like that idea.. would mean there's no theoretical limit to cornering speed I think
There certainly are limits.
There will be a limit to the amount of force generated by a cold gas thruster, there are limits to the amount of time the thruster can activate before needing to have the COPV replenished, and, even ignoring the above, there are limits to the amount of lateral G force a human can withstand.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
There certainly are limits.
There will be a limit to the amount of force generated by a cold gas thruster, there are limits to the amount of time the thruster can activate before needing to have the COPV replenished, and, even ignoring the above, there are limits to the amount of lateral G force a human can withstand.

Maybe it will come with a G-suit option. :) (I'm kidding, I know that they're really only useful for pullups where the blood drains to you legs, which isn't something a car will do.)