Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In praise of leasing the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife prefers our 7 year old LEAF we bought in Jan 2017 for $6,300
I prefer our 2 year old Tesla Model 3

I'm pretty sure that in a couple of years she will *continue* to prefer the LEAF. It gets her around town securely, quietly, without fuss, for ~ $30 a month total costs (insurance is outrageous :) ). And now that her primary destination is getting L2 charging the LEAF may have enough battery to last a *long* time.
Sensible people are frugal.
I am not one of them. :(

Sensible people are frugal.
I am not one of them. :(
Her preference is not due to being sensible or frugal. The LEAF does everything she wants from it. Someone in this thread thought that is not possible in an older car but I posted to say that is a YMMV. Of course the Tesla does too but she thinks the Tesla is "fragile."

The fragility designation came about after rim scrapes, a dent after removing ice, and one too many stories of high repair costs.

Reactions: SammichLover
I was seriously considering a lease until I read the fine print that says I wouldn't have the option of buying it at the end of the lease; I would have to turn it in. My previous and current leases allow me to buy the car (either for cash or financing) at the end of the lease. If I weren't going to move up from a plug-in hybrid to an EV (specifically a Tesla) at the end of this lease, I would buy it.

Her preference is not due to being sensible or frugal. The LEAF does everything she wants from it. Someone in this thread thought that is not possible in an older car but I posted to say that is a YMMV. Of course the Tesla does too but she thinks the Tesla is "fragile."

The fragility designation came about after rim scrapes, a dent after removing ice, and one too many stories of high repair costs.
It has taken awhile for my wife to warm up to the Model 3. We got the Bolt first and, despite her suspicion I was bat guano crazy for wanting to buy a BEV, she fell for it. It did what she wanted, and it has heated steering wheel. That last one sounds like "so what" as we live in the Houston area, but the hands want what the hands want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Model 3 came, and yup exact same rim thing. D'oh. Also AP bothered her at times "I don't like what it does sometimes". "Then don't use it, just drive like a neanderthal shaking an angry bone at a monolith" didn't address that to her satisfaction. Again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She has a car that does what she wants (any road trips I'm with anyway or, if it ever comes to that, I'll be home with the Bolt).

She's now taken to the Model 3, especially for times when she'll have use of mapping to get where she's going. And she's made her peace with AP (I believe she actually even uses it). Still, I expect it'll be many, many years before she's ready to move on from the Bolt because, well, "it works" is good enough.

Last edited:
Still, I expect it'll be many, many years before she's ready to move on from the Bolt because, well, "it works" is good enough.
Our wives sound like sisters. Mine also very much appreciates the familiar.

Yesterday she was ranting about the sexism still present in society that prevents women from walking around topless, and I think she projects on to her LEAF, running about with pride despite being aesthetically challenged.

Me: looking at the car from the rear, it appears obese.
Her: Stop being so judgemental; she just has big hips
Me: and the frog-like face ?
Her: Cute

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
I was seriously considering a lease until I read the fine print that says I wouldn't have the option of buying it at the end of the lease; I would have to turn it in. My previous and current leases allow me to buy the car (either for cash or financing) at the end of the lease. If I weren't going to move up from a plug-in hybrid to an EV (specifically a Tesla) at the end of this lease, I would buy it.
I will not be surprised if Tesla offers buy option at the end of lease.

I will not be surprised if Tesla offers buy option at the end of lease.
The model 3 appreciates over time, (according to Elon) by a pretty wild amount. If they wanted to structure the lease appropriately, they should be paying ME for the difference in appreciation during my time with it.
Jokes aside, apparently the plan is to turn all lease model 3 cars into their fleet of robo taxis.

Ok, for real jokes aside.. the Model 3 has one of the best (smallest) depreciation of any car. I think Tesla is being financially smart not allowing a buyout at the end of the lease. It'll absolutely be worth more than the residual. Even if I didn't want to keep the car, I'd take the option to buy it at residual and sell it 3rd party. Heck, it'll likely be worth more in trade value than the lease residual.

Our wives sound like sisters. Mine also very much appreciates the familiar.

Mine must be their cousin. I’ve always said I should’ve bought 10 Enclaves and just shrink wrapped them. Every 8-10 years, open a new one for her.

That said - we just sold ours and ordered an X. First vehicle she’s ever been excited about and willing to deviate for.

Didn’t want anything to do with my 3 until she hit a deer in the Buick ... that forced her hand and now, there’s no going back. :)

Reactions: SageBrush
Mine must be their cousin. I’ve always said I should’ve bought 10 Enclaves and just shrink wrapped them. Every 8-10 years, open a new one for her.

That said - we just sold ours and ordered an X. First vehicle she’s ever been excited about and willing to deviate for.

Didn’t want anything to do with my 3 until she hit a deer in the Buick ... that forced her hand and now, there’s no going back. :)
it sounds more and more like the deer had sacrificed itself to save the planet.

• Funny
Reactions: HelixSpiral