Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In reverse, suddenly shifts to Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has seen this symptom?

As of yesterday, occasionally, I go into reverse and within feet the car suddenly jumps into Park.

I thought I must have hit the button on the stick ... but the second time ... nope. And someone was in the car when it happened and confirmed I didn't hit the Park button.

I am candidly, VERY anxious it could happen in Drive?

I am already on my 3rd motor but have had no milling noise.

If the seat sensor detects that you aren't in the seat at low speeds, it automatically shifts to park.

As the other posters are suggesting, we've seen some people who reverse by looking over their shoulders lifting themselves out of the seat to do so, and the car respond by shifting to Park.

Reactions: mrElbe and Jurnimon
Car door closed. I am looking ONLY at the rear view camera to look back.

I am just hoping that when traveling at high speeds (> 20?) that Park cannot engage. Wondering if it's a shorting switch on the stick that cannot do its things at speed.

Then again I was in traffic for the past hour idling along at 1-7 MPH and no issue. Seems only to be reverse.

mine does it and its bloody annoying when i am trying to reverse out of my garage which is very tight. but doesent do it with my seatbelt on which is a pain it must think your going to have a fatal crash at 1mph therefore must have your seatbelt on at all times stupid and not thought out but an easy fix for tesla i have asked them to switch it of but they tell me they cant...

I have seen this only with belt off and at slow speed with no input to either the brake or the throttle. If I use the accelerator even in the least bit then it will not shift. If I just give a little accelerator then make very little input it will shift back to park. Somewhat strange but it seems the more quickly I move the vehicle with the belt off the less of a problem it has with me doing so.

mine does it and its bloody annoying when i am trying to reverse out of my garage which is very tight. but doesent do it with my seatbelt on which is a pain it must think your going to have a fatal crash at 1mph therefore must have your seatbelt on at all times stupid and not thought out but an easy fix for tesla i have asked them to switch it of but they tell me they cant...

You asked Tesla to remove a safety feature because YOU don't want to wear your seat belt? Hmmm...

Reactions: JPUConn
Happened to me the other day. I was rolling back out of a parking spot (no creep, just gravity) with no press of the accelerator. After about 5 ft, the car shifted to park. I think it's a safety thing to prevent unsupervised rolling. Hasn't happened again since, but normally I use the accelerator to reverse. Only one data point, so just my guess at this point.

So, I am guessing this occurs if creep is off and you are rolling just due to gravity? When I back out of the garage, I am riding the brake pedal, since creep is on for me. Never had the issue, so maybe that's why? Learn something new every day here.

So, I am guessing this occurs if creep is off and you are rolling just due to gravity? When I back out of the garage, I am riding the brake pedal, since creep is on for me. Never had the issue, so maybe that's why? Learn something new every day here.
Yep, we certainly do not have creep enabled on ours. @GreenT can you perhapas test with/without creep? And/or do you know you use gravity/momentum when it kicks into Park?

You asked Tesla to remove a safety feature because YOU don't want to wear your seat belt? Hmmm...

Basicly yes BUT im not stupid enough to drive witout a seat belt, im also not stupid enough to need gongs or lights to tell me im not, (most european cars let you get to a t least 15mph before it nags)

and what is safe about reversing out of my garage down a slope with mirrors folded in (to stop breaking them off) being very carefull not to damage my car and the stupid thing decides it wants to go into park every 3 feet??? with no overide to stop it.

My creep has always been set to OFF. Love that feature.

I have been backing out of the garage the same way for a year. Touch the accelerator to get it going, then let car roll before stopping to turn right to get out of driveway.

I did upgrade firmware a week ago to a bug release that I'd been holding off on. I suspect it might be a new, undocumented, "safety" feature? I have the Classic S with no sensors.

Does creep even work in reverse? Testing? Problem is I'd have to keep creep on as the problem is intermittent. Happened 3 times in 4 days.

Yes, my p85 suffered this issue or something very similar when my dad was driving. Ended up with the car stuck on the street unable to move (luckily not a busy street).

The following report was given to Tesla:

"Saturday 7th January 3.30pm, air temperature 36 degrees. Car had been in
sun for 3 hours after a 2 hour drive most of the time at 100 km/hr. I
reversed the Tesla S P85 for approximately 30 metres down a
driveway to the street.
Car was across the narrow street at a 45 degree angle. Tried to put car
in drive and nothing happened. Screen showed car in park. Would not move
out of park. Moving the right hand lever on the steering column had no
effect. Message came up on the screen asking me to move the lever into
the D or R position. I did that repeatedly to no avail. Reset computer
by holding down both scroll buttons, then realised that did not reset
the car. Thought the brakes may have locked up. Got out of car and with
a neighbour gently rocked the car. Went back inside the car and noticed
it had turned itself off. Put foot on brake, car turned on and operation
of car returned to normal."

Tesla couldn't find anything in logs. Car has been suffering DU bearing noise and they are swapping the DU next week. Hoping this is a one-off.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this symptom?

As of yesterday, occasionally, I go into reverse and within feet the car suddenly jumps into Park.

I thought I must have hit the button on the stick ... but the second time ... nope. And someone was in the car when it happened and confirmed I didn't hit the Park button.

I am candidly, VERY anxious it could happen in Drive?

I am already on my 3rd motor but have had no milling noise.
Keep your butt in the seat and use the screen for your reverse view. Also, wear your seatbelt.