Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have also noticed that running in manual mode like that is sometimes better, but then we lose the automatic adjustment of parameters like fan speed, recirculate, air air distribution as heat load changes, which are typically are great to have. At least that has been my experience in other cars.

The system is plenty powerful, just not regulated well. The problem is more often excessive cooling, than a lack of it, but I do experience both at different times. I am using an opaque sun shade on the roof (Heatshield) in Summer and that definitely helps a lot.

But really, like I said, there is so much I love about this car I have just learned to accept the poor climate control. I like to keep the thread alive because I still have hope that if it gets enough attention Tesla might release a software update to fix it. I know they have made some progress.
Does the outside temperature display a temperature that is clearly wrong? The outside air temperature sensor is located in the right front wheel well. The wiring for the sensor is vulnerable to rodent damage. Have Tesla Service check that the sensor and wiring are OK.

Has the windshield been replaced, possibly before you took delivery of the vehicle? Tesla Model Y owners who have had to replace the windshield sometimes have climate control issues after the replacement (the wiring for the cabin temperature sensor is either damaged or not correctly re-installed as part of the windshield replacement.)

Last edited:
I think we may be talking about two slight different issues here. I'm not sure what this super manifold issue is, but the temp sensor issue is something which I've heard about for several months now.

I think bottom line for the op is that what you are reporting does not appear to be normal, and you should have it checked out.

Hopefully Tesla will be able to get it resolved for you between the sensor replacement campaign and/or diagnosing any other potentials issues.
I had my '20 MYLR sensors replaced recently via the service center due to this service bulletin but I'd swear that my AC works worse now than it did before. It takes longer to get cold. :-( Of course it might be a coincidence with the 110°+ degree days here in AZ... :-O Just seems like it was better before the sensor replacement... just my $.02

Does the outside temperature display a temperature that is clearly wrong? The outside air temperature sensor is located in the right front wheel well. The wiring for the sensor is vulnerable to rodent damage. Have Tesla Service check that the sensor and wiring are OK.

Has the windshield been replaced, possibly before you took delivery of the vehicle? Tesla Model Y owners who have had to replace the windshield sometimes have climate control issues after the replacement (the wiring for the cabin temperature sensor is either damaged or not correctly re-installed as part of the windshield replacement.)
The outside temperature displayed on the screen looks correct. I have added a UBD2 port and in the past have logged all the temp sensors I could find. There are many. Even the roof has a temperature sensor. That's why I am frustrated. With so many temperature sensors, and even humidity sensors and fans to draw in cabin air to help them be more accurate, and the super advanced octovalve system with all of its monitoring and feedback, they can't seem to maintain a comfortable consistent temperature in the vehicle. I suspect this could be resolved with some software tweaks if someone put the time into it. As I mentioned, the AC is plenty powerful and can certainly make the car plenty cold, it's just not regulated well.

If I were to sum up the problem after much observation I would say the system is having trouble sensing the cabin temperature, and therefore producing the wrong output. Sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold.

The outside temperature displayed on the screen looks correct. I have added a UBD2 port and in the past have logged all the temp sensors I could find. There are many. Even the roof has a temperature sensor. That's why I am frustrated. With so many temperature sensors, and even humidity sensors and fans to draw in cabin air to help them be more accurate, and the super advanced octovalve system with all of its monitoring and feedback, they can't seem to maintain a comfortable consistent temperature in the vehicle. I suspect this could be resolved with some software tweaks if someone put the time into it. As I mentioned, the AC is plenty powerful and can certainly make the car plenty cold, it's just not regulated well.

If I were to sum up the problem after much observation I would say the system is having trouble sensing the cabin temperature, and therefore producing the wrong output. Sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold.
I usually use manual mode. 68 degrees, recirc, fan between 6 and 8 if it's hot out to keep the air circulating. If the fan is below 6, there is too much temp variance where the sun shines in.

I may tint the front windows, but I don't really mind the fan blowing at higher speeds.

One more point. If riding alone when it's really hot, I'll manually turn on the passenger side and/or set the output to face and feet (which forces the passenger vent on as well).

• Informative
Reactions: iamnid and rjpjnk
Also having inconsistent A/C issues. Sometimes I can cool a six pack, other times during the summer I can throw a shrimp on the barbie. One pattern I’m noticing is when the car moves from cabin overheat protection to A/C when driving. Had to do a hard reboot which seemed to clear the issue. Will need to experiment a bit more.

I am going to try experimenting with manual mode more as well.

I wish there were a way to adjust the fan speed and still keep the rest of the system on auto. Maybe there is now? I haven't tried in a while.
It seems that there is. When I switch from auto by manual by changing the fan speed, the recirc button turns a pale blue (vs grey for off and deep blue for on). I think that function is still auto, but I'm not sure.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
It seems that there is. When I switch from auto by manual by changing the fan speed, the recirc button turns a pale blue (vs grey for off and deep blue for on). I think that function is still auto, but I'm not sure.
I have observed the pale blue recirculate cabin air button. As far as I can tell the button colors, settings include:

Grey - Off
Bright Blue - On
Pale Blue - Better not tell you now.

• Funny
Reactions: rjpjnk and alexcue

The only thing I would clarify, just from experience. If it's the windshield causing the issue, if you get a new software, or ask them to push out an update again, it usually resolves the issue. I'm speaking from experience, after two windshield replacements. SafeLite did the first one, and I had to wait for a few days till i got the new software and right after it worked fine, Tesla did the second one and had no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I had my '20 MYLR sensors replaced recently via the service center due to this service bulletin but I'd swear that my AC works worse now than it did before. It takes longer to get cold. :-( Of course it might be a coincidence with the 110°+ degree days here in AZ... :-O Just seems like it was better before the sensor replacement... just my $.02
Same situation here. June 2020 MYP. AC/Heat were amazing for 2 years. Tesla strongly recommended sensor replacement due to bulletin (I’d declined it a few months prior). Afterwards, immediate degradation in AC. Takes way longer to cool in general, and have to drop the temp into the low 60s on Auto to have any substantial cooling effect. Previously could set/forget at 68/Auto even in the FL summers.

Did you end up getting this addressed? Planning to make another appt…

Same situation here. June 2020 MYP. AC/Heat were amazing for 2 years. Tesla strongly recommended sensor replacement due to bulletin (I’d declined it a few months prior). Afterwards, immediate degradation in AC. Takes way longer to cool in general, and have to drop the temp into the low 60s on Auto to have any substantial cooling effect. Previously could set/forget at 68/Auto even in the FL summers.

Did you end up getting this addressed? Planning to make another appt…
No, I have not been back to the service center yet. Let me know if you get any satisfaction from them. thanks

Revisiting this thread since last year, by now hopefully everyone has had those components that were replaced in my Model Y and I believe they even sent out a TSB to get that done. Since I had that work done my A/C has worked perfectly, 6400 mile trip from San Diego to Key West Fl last year and this year again to Miami then up to Georgia and back home to San Diego so I drove to some very hot places, the A/C never let me down. Average outside trips 109 degrees and into Las Vegas many times with temps 110 - 115, the A/C system works great. Hope this issue is over for everyone.

Fred

We got our 2022 Model Y in May. It is a Freemont car. Tesla spent 2 days corrective exterior gap issues. However, they did not correct all the issue because the misaligned rear light meet "spec". Not acceptable!

Now the HVAC issue - my wife and I travelled to Gainesville from Jacksonville. During that trip, we had to manually adjust the temperature down to 68 degrees. IT WAS HOT IN THE CAR!

We scheduled the first available shop repair for August 25th. On August 24th, a tech called my wife to discuss the problem. He pulled up the actual history, and argued with my wife that everything was to spec. Insisting that he teach her how to run het Y. She insisted that they check out the HVAC to see if it is to "spec'. Note - my wife. the "techee" is a Master degreed IT professional, certified IT project manager with 29 other industry certifications.

I took the car in at the appointment time - the no service/combative attitude Service Written immediately started in that there is nothing wrong with the HVAC in our Tesla. Went over the phone call, talking down to me. We insisted that they check out the car against the "spec", THEY TOLD US THE CAR WOULD BE AVAILABLE IN 2 HOURS. No such luck!

TESLA has had the car nowsince the 26t..

Communications stink. No phone calls in or out; no idea when the car will be available..

Take a look at mu recent post. Beware they can noy see the problem,
Insist that they test the car to compare to spec.

We scheduled the first available shop repair for August 25th. On August 24th, a tech called my wife to discuss the problem. He pulled up the actual history, and argued with my wife that everything was to spec. Insisting that he teach her how to run het Y. She insisted that they check out the HVAC to see if it is to "spec'.