TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Induction Android app - where'd it go?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Kreid, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Kreid

Kreid Member

Was looking into Android apps for my S and X with Android Wear integration, and found a thread for one here called Induction. But the thread's locked. The app still gets updated, why was the thread locked?

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

3. vivekvinodh

vivekvinodh Member

Hey Kreid,

The Induction thread was locked because we were unable to pay the 75$ per month required by TMC to maintain an official Vendor thread. Induction wasn't built nor expected to be a revenue machine (started as a side project between me and @Casey_S) and we couldn't justify the money.

That being said, we do continue to maintain and improve Induction all the time. We're both avid programmers and Induction is a great project which we use to refine our skills. If you're looking for an Android Wear app to control your Tesla, look no further. We just improved our android wear app and UI (thanks to the good people at eleks) and it looks pretty slick imo. Summon isn't possible on Android Wear but it is coming soon.

Hope you consider trying out Induction.

Best,
    Vivek Vinodh

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  4. rpo

rpo Member

How do you install the Android Wear version? I installed Induction on my phone, but with Android Wear 2.0, companion apps are not automatically installed, and nothing shows up in the AW2.0 Play Store. Thanks!

5. vivekvinodh

vivekvinodh Member

@rpo I don't think the necessary changes are enabled for AW 2.0 since neither of us has a watch with it. Nevertheless I'll update the app this weekend and it should pop up early next week. Sorry about that.

6. rpo

rpo Member

Thanks so much! You'll love AW 2.0 once you get it. My battery life doubled and 2 full days is possible on mine now even with GPS usage.

7. rpo

rpo Member

No updates yet! Just thought you should know.

8. vivekvinodh

vivekvinodh Member

Woah sorry about that I added the changes but forgot to push the build. I'm squashing some bugs but expect to see it tomorrow morning!

9. rpo

rpo Member

Thanks!

10. rpo

rpo Member

Any updates on the app? It still has not become available. I'll happily help test it out for you once it is available!

11. rpo

rpo Member

Any updates?

12. vivekvinodh

vivekvinodh Member

An update was pushed with a fix. What kind of phone do you have? and what Android version are you running?

13. rpo

rpo Member

Nexus 6P running 7.1.2. Android Wear 2.0.0.156099718. Latest version of Induction available is 0.9737.

Obviously one issue is the lack of updates to the app. Otherwise, I think the main issue is the phone app no longer automatically installs the companion Wear app, and since Induction is not in the Wear Play Store, I don't know how it would even be installed to the watch. Am I correct in that assumption?

14. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I was using Induction on the weekends to keep the dog alive, but now Induction doesn't connect to the car anymore? This behaviour just started a few weeks ago.

15. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

Any chance we could get Induction working again? It was my favorite app!

16. essmd

essmd Phantom X

Unfortunately I just received the following email from the App creator...

"Unfortunately, the device which I used to develop the app was stolen a couple days ago. Until I get a new computer and my development environment functional again I won't be able to diagnose or provide solutions. I do not have a timeline for this. Sorry for the inconvenience."

At least he responded and was honest about the current lack of support, but after paying for the app, this is a bit disappointing. But as he said, it was not intended for a long-term revenue prospect.

Maybe he will get it up again....I really did like the interface and functionality.

Anybody have a spare computer to donate to the cause?

17. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

He wasn't supporting it anyways. I had emailed in several weeks ago about the connection problems. He said he was supporting it, but then ignored my support request. Oh well, Induction is dead.

18. essmd

essmd Phantom X

Took the money and ran I guess... pretty typical of this new generation...