Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't officially unveil option pricing on the Model X until this week. You have awhile to wait.
I am okay with that. I just wanted to at least get some ball park price ranges for some of the options. I basically need to know how much I need to save up as I would like to be able to put about $15-20k down by the time it comes out and keep my monthly payments below $500. If something really compelling comes up, I could go up to $550 a month.

When looking at their past history, I am sadly in firm belief that the M3 will not go into production on time. If it does, I believe it will be in very limited quantities. Tesla has absolutely no experience in mass production on a real Ford or GM type of mass production scale. There are going to be big learning curves. Elon is an idealist and realism has a tendency of coming up and biting you in the ass. Too many puzzle pieces have to come together in exactly the right way for this M3 venture to pull off without a hitch. This isn't like Ford and their $450k GT or Koeniggsegg and their supercar which are hand built limited edition pieces of art and technology. This is real mass production with variables on the scale that Tesla will have never experienced with the S and X. If Elon pulls it off, I will be impressed. If he doesn't, I will not be too upset. In a way, I am glad that the west coast will get to debug the cars before the rest of us towards the east will get it.

I hope that Tesla will avoid the unnecessary complexity, weight, cost and delays that will predictably result from trying to pioneer new technologies in the Model 3. This car needs to be simple, light, inexpensive and timely. Tesla's electric drive system is so compelling that it should be packaged in a simple, low cost, compact vehicle and put into the market in high volumes as soon as possible. Continue to use the Model S and Model X to pioneer leading edge technologies which can be ported down to the Model 3 only when they are fully proven, completely mature, and the development costs have been amortized by sales of Model S and Model X. This will also help to differentiate the Model 3 from the other cars and avoid cannibalizing sales of the Model S and Model X.

I hope that Tesla will avoid the unnecessary complexity, weight, cost and delays that will predictably result from trying to pioneer new technologies in the Model 3. This car needs to be simple, light, inexpensive and timely. Tesla's electric drive system is so compelling that it should be packaged in a simple, low cost, compact vehicle and put into the market in high volumes as soon as possible. Continue to use the Model S and Model X to pioneer leading edge technologies which can be ported down to the Model 3 only when they are fully proven, completely mature, and the development costs have been amortized by sales of Model S and Model X. This will also help to differentiate the Model 3 from the other cars and avoid cannibalizing sales of the Model S and Model X.

This sounds like a way to erase the image that a Model 3 is a quality car, relegating it to hand-me downs. My fantasy is that the M3 is feature rich, with big battery and autopilot (that may even be buggy). To delay the assignment of features because they are not "fully proven" is exactly what I DONT WANT.

I agree, let's keep in mind that is a Mass market car. The large majority of people want an EV car with LONG RANGE, nice aesthetic, nice performance and 35 000$.

All the remaining ''Cowbells & Whistle'' are bonuses, not that important for me.
Again, the biggest challenge for Tesla, BE ON TIME for the delivery at customer.

I agree, let's keep in mind that is a Mass market car. The large majority of people want an EV car with LONG RANGE, nice aesthetic, nice performance and 35 000$.

All the remaining ''Cowbells & Whistle'' are bonuses, not that important for me.
Again, the biggest challenge for Tesla, BE ON TIME for the delivery at customer.
While this is a mass market mass production car, we also have to remember that Tesla has made it clear that this is going to be aimed at the entry level luxury car market. That means that it should have the looks of a car in this price class. That said, this is some extremely expensive technology and there is only so much Tesla can provide for $35k. My worry is that some of those who reserved are going into this thinking that they are going to be getting a Mercedez S class at Mercedez CLA prices or a Lincoln Continental at Ford Fusion prices

Reactions: Jaff
Why - yes I am indeed expecting that. [ My worry is that some of those who reserved are going into this thinking that they are going to be getting a Mercedez S class at Mercedez CLA prices or a Lincoln Continental at Ford Fusion prices]

EM said that an M3 with no options will be a very good car - better than......Taking him at his word, I am expecting awesome.

Agreed. I first drove the Roadster many years ago and found the EV driving experience completely compelling. While I have had the good fortune to drive a Model S for the past three and one half years, what I would dearly love to see is a high quality vehicle that makes the essence of the Tesla electric drive experience available to all drivers at the lowest possible price point. Given the unavoidable costs of supplying 60kWhr of lithium ion batteries, meeting the target price point would seem to require ruthless cost / feature control and/or that the first few years of production be devoted almost exclusively to substantially higher priced (i.e., heavily optioned) vehicles, until the costs of the batteries and the balance of the production process falls into line with the target price. This latter approach would predictably leave many of the early reservation holders disappointed that they will be unable to acquire a Model 3 for $35K in the immediately foreseeable future. I also share your concern that additional features will predictably make the timely delivery of the Model 3 more challenging.

Reactions: Jaff
THIS
I don't want a Porsche or Mazda or anything else - I want a Tesla design. I'm fed up with Model S being mistaken for a Ford Fusion from a distance.
Being mistaken for a Ford Fusion is not necessarily a bad thing as that is a gorgeous car. However I will say that I have never seen the resemblance. I see a Jaguar XK and Maserati theme from the front and a Maserati theme from the side and back.

Dear Elon,
Could w≡ have the cowb≡ll opening of "Working For the Weekend" as a selectable horn sound?
(anything but the current noise that we've used since we gave up the squeeze-bugle of the original fossil-ICE'd generation).

I have absolute faith that Tesla will meet all pre-ordered vehicle deliveries within a few years of beginning production. And speaking as a current Model S owner, the Model S I ordered was in it's fourth year of production and the factory was ramping up building the model X's for release in just 5 weeks and they were able to go from order to delivery in less than three weeks! I didn't have time to install the wall connector charger at home until later, the contractors and inspectors admiring my new addition as they worked to give her the best charging ability from home, but I wanted to emphasize that once they nail down the automated manufacturing, cars will roll off the assembly line faster than you can keep count of, all while continuing to deliver more Model S and X's.

Reactions: MrBoylan
I have absolute faith that Tesla will meet all pre-ordered vehicle deliveries within a few years of beginning production. And speaking as a current Model S owner, the Model S I ordered was in it's fourth year of production and the factory was ramping up building the model X's for release in just 5 weeks and they were able to go from order to delivery in less than three weeks! I didn't have time to install the wall connector charger at home until later, the contractors and inspectors admiring my new addition as they worked to give her the best charging ability from home, but I wanted to emphasize that once they nail down the automated manufacturing, cars will roll off the assembly line faster than you can keep count of, all while continuing to deliver more Model S and X's.
And the Model S is build at a slower rate then Tesla has publicly stated they wish to produce the Model 3 at. Expect multiple lines produce 2x3 times more cars after the first few 1000 are out.