Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

INFORM: Tesla referral program Sunsetted as of Sept. 18 [except for solar roof]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
As per thread title, Tesla ends referral program as of Sep. 17th 2021, except for the Solar Roof product. All posts / discussion on this topic in the model 3 subform will be consolidated into a single thread in the model 3 ordering subform.

Teslas official link on their website below:

In truth, this was only worth about $100 and Tesla sure does not need referrals. What bothers me is that it was discontinued immediately. This is just typical of Tesla’s lack of respect for customers.
Given the shortages of discrete parts to build, as well as the customers lining up to buy cars, they probably feel that they no longer need to have incentives to attract new customers. They have a very captive base, ever expanding with the new players coming on. They are now effectively the "Kleenex" or Scotch Tape" of EV's. Everyone else is just an also-ran, IMHO.

A program whose time has come and gone.
If it stops referral-spamming, I’m kinda glad it’s no more. Those get annoying, fast. Good work by our moderators here at TMC in keeping that tamped down, but it’s definitely rampant elsewhere!

Lets just say that I certainly am not upset its gone, due to the issue you mentioned, and while I certainly am not speaking for other mods, based on my interactions with many of them discussing topics, I doubt they are either.

Stranger things: The Tesla referral program granted me 1000 charging miles about 2 hours before the program was completely canceled. “Completely” as in, 4 days later when I emailed them to see if I was still going to get the miles, I got back an automated response saying that the Tesla Referral Program email address is no longer being monitored.”

Today I called up the Delivery Center where I picked up my car, to check again, as I had not seen any miles turn up in my “loot” box. The guy on the phone told me he could see that the 1000 miles had been ”applied” to my account. But he then said that in order to see the miles, I would have to look in the “glove box” of my account. But there wasn’t anything In my glove box besides documents and videos about my order and how to use the car. To double check I called the general Tesla customer support number (which routed me to the dealership nearest my residence) and asked the guy who answered to see if he could see the charging miles “applied” to my account. Yes, he could, but he told me they would not be found in my glove box, but in my “loot” box. His take was since the charging miles had only been “applied” to my account, there would be a waiting period involved before I would actually see them myself.

Then, a few hours later, just dinking around my account page, I clicked on the link titled “Charging”. At the top of that page, in unobtrusive lettering under the Charging” title, were the words, ”1,000 Free Supercharging Miles Remaining”. I am grateful, but I just wish everything was a little less mixed up…

Then, a few hours later, just dinking around my account page, I clicked on the link titled “Charging”. At the top of that page, in unobtrusive lettering under the Charging” title, were the words, ”1,000 Free Supercharging Miles Remaining”. I am grateful, but I just wish everything was a little less mixed up…
Same for me, even though I took delivery on 9/18/21. I guess anyone who ordered by referral was grandfathered. I charge in my home garage and don't ever plan to use this car for road trips, so the Supercharging is probably superfluous for me.

Same for me, even though I took delivery on 9/18/21. I guess anyone who ordered by referral was grandfathered. I charge in my home garage and don't ever plan to use this car for road trips, so the Supercharging is probably superfluous for me.

I charge in my garage as well, 120 volt wall plug. A couple weeks ago (day after I brought the car home), I was in the neighborhood of a super charger and was about 100 miles below a full charge. So just for giggles I plugged it in, and the hundred miles was handled in less than an hour. About 15 times faster than my 120 volt charging. But you know, I wouldn’t really have had a problem plugging into my wall outlet for 15 hours that day instead. And the cost on the supercharger was $9.86…