Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inherited Tesla- need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Free unlimited supercharging would transfer to new owner. Do you know if it has it? I thought you usually got it even without using a referral code.

Photo looks like autopilot1 (AP1). Does that match the forward camera and 12 sonar description?

I have never seen the inside of a metal roof Model S. That is a lot of alcantera.

Problem with getting your hoped for price is that the car is almost 3 years old. You will not be easily able to get retail for it as you are so far away, so difficult to show the car, give test rides etc. Transportation for an out of area buyer may also be difficult.

It has the smallest of all batteries which reduces the value to a buyer. The current model of that car comes with a 100 KWh battery, that can also be software limited.

In addition, the real selling price of that car was only $70,000 and the original owner would have received at least $10,000 in Federal and State rebates, making it a net purchase price of only $60,000. That is why you are getting wholesale offers of around $40,000.

On the other hand, it is a great looking Model S in a desirable color. but with few options.

To bring more money it would need Autopilot and at least a 75 KWh battery.

I live1 hr. North of San Diego in Canyon Lake. If I could be of any assistance, please let me know. (also retired)

It's been moved to a family member's garage and was charged to 71% last night- is that a good number for now?
Have them set the limit at 80% and leave it plugged it. The car will take care of itself. The important thing is not to drain the battery very low and keep it there or charge fully and let it sit like that (yes, I know it’s a 60 with a 75 battery but won’t confuse you with all that for now ;)

I believe this car has AutoPilot 1 given Aug 2016 mfg date. @GordonsGirl, whoever buys the car can pay Tesla to enable AutoPilot over the air even though your dad did not purchase. It’s a great looking car still under warranty with low miles, unlimited supercharging and eligible for carpool lane stickers. By paying Tesla for upgrade to 75 battery ($2200 I think), it will sell quite easily in California. A lot of people want a Tesla at reasonable price, and I found that many prefer Model S over 3.

Glancing at comps on onlyusedtesla and cars.com, the range appears to have midpoint ~ $55K. This one is similar but with sunroof and AP1 already enabled.

Model S / 2016 / RED - 23056 | Only Used Tesla

Thanks, SoCal Buzz. I don't think I'll be able to manage the battery upgrade myself, but whoever buys it will have that opportunity (that I didn't know existed yesterday). It's amazing that the car can be improved just through software, long-distance. Wait- the battery upgrade doesn't work that way, does it?

Yes it does. You can simply ask Tesla to update over the air for about $2200. Well worth your time and effort. I’m sure people here can help with process to contact Tesla. It might be option on the website when you login with dad’s account. But not sure if you have that.

Decode the VIN yourself via @HankLloydRight ‘s site and you’ll be armed with all the info you need to get the max price, especially after unlocking the battery to make it a 75. ev-cpo.com/lookup

Thanks for the shout out, but I just want to clarify for people that decoding a VIN at EV-CPO.com only works for cars (new/Inventory or used/CPO) listed on, and/or sold from the Tesla.com website. It can't decode any VIN into options (although I wish it could). ;)

GordonsGirl, I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Like you, I actually inherited my father's 2013 Tesla as well when he passed away two years ago (his had about 7,000 miles)... My situation was even more complex with the fact that my father lived and bought his Tesla in Canada and I live in Florida.

I debated selling it and even talked to a few potential buyers, the car still had a year of payments left and then there was the whole ordeal of bringing it over to the US. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to sell it. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

After thinking it over and over and over... and talking with family, I ended up keeping it. I made the last year's payment on it... I had a cool car of my own (not a Tesla) that I was also making payments on which I ended up selling (at a loss), then I went through the process to bring it over to the US, which did require some paperwork and legal acrobatics, but Tesla actually stepped in and helped out big time with the process.

I have had a few opportunities to trade it in for a faster Tesla, a newer Tesla, etc, a different fun car, Every time, I came close to pull the trigger, I still couldn't do it... My little kid's still refer to it sometime's as "<my dad's name's> car" which makes me smile and I remember when he called me to tell me that he bought it, it was a hilarious conversation from 5 years ago that still sits so clear in my mind.

I understand everyone's situation is different, taking it on may be VERY difficult, so if selling it is the best option for you I do wish you the best of luck with it. Like you, Tesla, were not interested in buying it from me without a trade for another model which I did not want to do at the time.

There's already some good advice up here, but if there is more we can help with let us know, I'll keep monitoring this thread!

Thank you, BIG ACH. Sounds like we do have some things in common, and you understand what this feels like. Selling really is the only option for me with my sisters' interests in the mix on top of the problem of distance. For all my dad talked at length about this car, I never rode with him in it or saw him in it, so I think more of the '57 T-bird he used to drive than the Tesla when I think "Dad's car". Plus, and this is embarrassing to admit here, I treat my own car like a rolling purse, stocked with umbrella, blanket, extra water, Kleenex, spare jacket, and a sheet thrown over the back seat so I can take the dog to the vet. I'd bet my life Dad never transported a pet or a small child in his Tesla. When we got to it, it contained the registration in the glove box, and in the back was the charging cord with attachments, a spray bottle of cleanser, and a polishing cloth. Nothing else at all. It's spotless, and it wouldn't stay that way with me. I'm hoping its new owner will treat it as carefully as Dad always did.

I do have a couple more questions I hope someone can help me with: do all these cars come with air conditioning? I didn't see it mentioned specifically on the sticker, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't. Also, for tax credits (federal and/or California), are those available for used Teslas, or only new?

Thanks again.

I bought my Model S60 off of onlyusedtesla and preferred having a solid roof. It gets really hot in Oklahoma during the summer and didn't want to deal with any water leak issues since the nearest service centers are 4 hours away. There will be demand for a low mileage Tesla. Make sure you post the sticker with options and get a family member to take several pictures of the car in daylight, take a picture of each wheel too. If possible put high resolution photos in a google drive. Google drive really helped to ease my concerns since my car was in New York City and I could zoom in close on the paint and interior before I went in person to purchase the car.

Reactions: outdoors
At the expense of sounding rude... I am genuinely curious. In my wealth management days, I saw alot of estate administrators (oldest children etc) comb through the property for sale, its really tough work, made more complex when you try to get top dollar for it.

Given the fact you don't know much about the car, generally speaking, or be able to answer much about it to a buyer without deviating from a script of things you are learning here, AND being out of state across the country 3 timezones away... What was wrong with the CarMax idea again?

I respect your determination and drive to get all you can for you and your sisters, as I'm sure your dad would have wanted... but the used Tesla market is complex, even for folks who have owned a few already.